Local Talk

Where to live

(4 Posts)
CamMumma Sun 17-Mar-13 20:18:43

I'm hoping some of you may be able to give us some useful advice.
We are moving up to the Newcastle area in September for my DH to start a course at the University. We are looking to buy our own place but dont know where would be recommended to move to.
I could look on rightmove and zoopla all day but that doesnt help me much!
We'd like to be within 20mins of the city by train or metro or bike, but still have easy access out to for "walks" (hikes). Currently we live in a village with lots of ammenities which I would still like to have, as I dont want to have to start using the car loads.
Any thoughts of where would be good or not, would be gratefully received.

mrs2cats Fri 22-Mar-13 12:37:13

Hiya

We moved up from London 5 years ago and, after looking at quite a few areas, we settled on the coast - Whitley Bay area. The reasons we chose the area:
- It's beautiful. Great to be able to walk on the beach, wide horizon etc. Some lovely walks along the coast although the wind off the sea can be bitterly cold.
- Great links into Newcastle so we're not reliant on the car. You can catch the metro - takes about 25 minutes. My DH cycles into Newcastle and says the bike paths are decent. We did look at Hexham and Morpeth which are beautiful but we felt that in the long run we'd prefer access to a metro system which is more frequent and runs for longer during the day.
- Great schools for children at all ages. We have a 3 tier system - first school, middle school and high school.
- Easy access to Northumberland - we are just on the border.
- It's a small town and you can easily pick up what you need on a daily basis. When it's snowed and I've been scared of taking the car out it didn't really matter 'cos we have several local mini-supermarkets. However, bigger supermarkets aren't that far out of town anyway.

Have fun exploring smile.

CamMumma Sat 23-Mar-13 02:19:01

Excellent, thank you so much for replying.
We (via rightmove) have been looking (seriously) at Whitley Bay and Tynemouth area, along with Morpeth.
Sounds like we are vaguely looking in right areas! Now just waiting for the weekend to explore further!

mrs2cats Mon 25-Mar-13 19:37:52

Hi CamMumma
Hope you had a fun time at the weekend despite the cold. Just let me know if you'd like any more info smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now