Local Talk

Safest Hospital in East London

(11 Posts)
Rosa2020 Sat 16-Nov-13 09:34:27

Hi,

My sister was very excited to find out that she is expecting a baby, so she started looking after herself properly, eating well and healthy, active life style and so on.

She and her husband are learning local hospitals. She is healthy and planning to have a natural birth.

Which hospitals do you think might be best option?
We have seen the 2010 ranking data, but if anyone knows any more recent or useful data that would be great.

MumMVT Fri 29-Nov-13 16:17:43

I gave birth at Newham in the birth centre (natural birth) and I have no complaints at all. The midwives were amazing and supportive. The rooms are fantastic and all have pool if you choose to go for a water birth.

I didn't experience the labour ward so can't advice on what it's like if you choose a form of pain relief.

jojostevie Sat 30-Nov-13 19:14:08

I also went to Newham and agree that the birthing suite is really nice. Has a birthing pool + ball, tv, rope from the roof and nice big double bed so that OH can stay.

My only negative is don't go when its busy (like she has a choice not) but I was there for hours and didn't get a room. Once I was in the room my gorgeous daughter made an appearance 20 mins later.

I'm lucky my OH piped up when he did or I might have had her in the waiting room shock

Rosa2020 Sun 01-Dec-13 00:45:02

Thanks a lot MumMTV and jojostevie for your comments.
About the pools at Newham hospital - do you know how many pools do they have? As far as I know normally it's hard to get one in busy times, even though you mentioned it in your book.

jojostevie I'm so happy that you could get a room before your baby was born. Have you heard of any cases that mums gave birth in the waiting room in this hospital. Do they enough facilities and resources to help mums in labour?

Rosa2020 Sun 01-Dec-13 00:46:06

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.... Hopefully everything will be all right just trying to be on the safe side.

Redcliff Sun 15-Dec-13 23:36:11

I gave birth in Newham hospital - DS came over 3 weeks early so birthing centre wasn't an option (although it looked nice when we had the tour) and it took a while to get pain relief as I was just put in a room of a normal ward at first but once I got up to the room I gave birth in it was much better. The only problem I found was getting out - I gave birth on Friday morning and by Sunday I was desperate to leave. I had to insist on seeing a Dr who discharged me as the nurses where saying that they couldn't work the computer! So be vocal would be my only bit of advice.

Rosa2020 Tue 17-Dec-13 06:56:13

Redcliff Thanks a lot for your answer. One of mums I met told me very similar problem they faced in Royal London Hospital. She said all the data about her birth history vanished so they had to wait and wait.

Redcliff Wed 18-Dec-13 09:50:20

It's so frustrating isn't it - some of the things you think are simple are not. I am having my 2nd baby at Newham as well so am hoping things have improved.

sisteroutlaw Wed 26-Feb-14 23:03:42

Hi Rosa - not sure if this is too late for your sister. I'm another who gave birth at Newham. The birthing centre was great but seems I was in the same position as Jojostevie in that the baby was nearly born in the waiting room - was a bottle neck to be assessed/poor management of arriving labouring women. They had plently of rooms and staff available just a poor feed through system. I've sinced complained and they're looking into their processes. The rooms themselves were lovely as were the staff. Hope it all goes/went well for you sister.

Rosa2020 Fri 28-Feb-14 08:47:41

sisteroutlaw

Oh dear, I understand what you experienced there.

My sister is planning to go Newham hospital. Really hope they will improve their process and facilities sad

jojostevie Fri 28-Feb-14 19:40:46

I would agree with being vocal. I think because this was my first I just went with the flow but I am now due my second I intend to go back to Newham to use the birthing suite mainly because it is just round the corner from me and the room was very nice. But I intend to be their worst nightmare if I am left in that waiting room like I was the last time.

There is another birthing centre in Barking though I bet that's a lot quieter. I will do more research this time as I didn't know what options there were last time I just believed that I had to go to Newham.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now