Local Talk

Do I also have to get support from the council now?

(5 Posts)
CanaryClara Sun 22-Jun-14 20:49:50

A good friend of mine asked this question, but I didn't know what to say really. Here is her message:

I always thought we and our children will appreciate life and whatever we have, also be truly happy if we work hard and support ourselves financially without anyone's help. We wanted to be good role models for our children as this could encourage them to have big dream, serious targets and motivation to achieve their goals rather than getting financial support from the government.

However dramatic increase in rental and housing prices started really pushing me back. I became a full time mum and my partner is the only breadwinner in the family. We have been planning to get a mortgage for ages, but we are not not sure when this can happen.

We have been paying someone's mortgage all these years anyway (which is costing a huge amount of money for us).

The article called "East London rents higher than West London with Hackney and Tower Hamlets “property hotspots” I read today loosed my heart once more. Do we also have to get support from the council now?

salt1 Tue 24-Jun-14 21:09:57

I don't think I understand what is being asked here x

amal9 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:22:28

My advice would be to try all your best to get that mortgage,go back to work part time or even full time if you can to show the bank you can afford it. When you have it you can always stop work and rent a room out to help with finance's. We were in private rent for years,its horrible being unsettled and never knowing if you are going to get thrown out every 6 months,or have yet another rent increase. the council housing list is just endless,but good luck with what you decide.

CanaryClara Wed 25-Jun-14 09:51:54

salt1, smile she was interested to know the ways to live without government's support being a full time mum with young kids. You can hardly meet middle class families living without financial reliance on the Council. She says it would make their children easily lazy and they won't have big interest in study and having bright career in the future.

CanaryClara Wed 25-Jun-14 09:52:43

amal9, I'll forward your message to her. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now