Local Talk

moving to north walsham very soon with 2 dds

(15 Posts)

hi im moving to north walsham in the next month or so and i dont know anyone there my dds are going to go to manor rd schools.
is there anyone thats lives local that would like to meet up for a cup of tea and a chat as would like to meet some new friends .

Hi, I'm quite a way from north walsham but have been occasionally to the soft play centre there called Stompers. Seems like a nice place and depending on childrens ages the soft play area might be a good place to meet people smile

Hope the move goes well.

ragged Thu 01-Mar-12 13:02:55

I loathe Stompers, it's about 150m from my door, too smile.
Rugrats: PM me & I will tell you loads of useful info. How old are your girls? Do you like toddler groups or what kind of clubs / other things do you like to do?

Admittedly I've only been to Stompers two or three times and not for a while but it's definitely better than Planet Zoom. I would loathe it too if it was on my doorstep smile

Hi sorry haven't been on here for a few days my dds are 8 and 4 there has been a change of schools now manor road school has only one place so my girls Will be going to another school but i can't remember the name at the moment if anyone knows anything about the primary schools in the area id like to know what there like.

ragged Fri 02-Mar-12 16:56:41

I can tell you loads but feels a bit mean to put it all on such a public forum. I will try to pm you.

4madboys Fri 02-Mar-12 17:00:17

i am in norwich and have a friend in nth walsham, she is happy there, cant remember the name of the school her dd goes to, shall have to ask her. it seems an ok place and its easy to get into norwich etc smile

ragged Fri 02-Mar-12 19:52:46

I know your friend, 4MB. (Norfolk is a small world & I met you at a meetup, you may now recall me smile ). Her DD is at the Manor Road schools which OP says she can't get both girls into. The infant's school is heavily over-subbed since they got an Outstanding Ofsted few years ago.
tbh, none of the local primary schools (including those in villages) has a bad rep, but you can find someone who's had a bad experience with any of them, if you ask around long enough. So convenience is as good a reason to make a choice as any.

High schools are different, Aylsham seems to be currently the Blessed Destination High School, Broadland still popular, & quite inferior status conferred to all others (state sector).

ragged Fri 02-Mar-12 19:53:50

ps: DD will attend one of the inferior status high schools, with my blessings anyway, so last comments meant a bit tongue-in-cheek.

4madboys Fri 02-Mar-12 20:03:36

ah yes i remember you now ragged!

my friends ds goes to an out of catchment high school via bus, she has to pay for the transport tho!

its my older dd that cant get in so they are going to have to go to millfield school its a bit further away which i dont mind but i was hoping they could go to manor rd school as i was told it was better

ragged Sat 03-Mar-12 08:39:30

That's Alysham HS, 4madboys (I sound like her stalker, now, don't I? wink)

The Junior School at Manor Road was in special measures in 2004, Rugrats. Literally the worst Ofsted report I have ever read. Was very undesirable for a while; parental stampede to every other school in the area. NWJS HT has not changed (?I think) since that dire Ofsted report, but it's like all forgiven since NWIS got the Outstanding. The snobbish brigade shun NW schools altogether and go for private, or specific village schools or drag their precious ones 15+ miles to Norwich schools. Honestly, it's all a load of pants (rumour mills, I mean). I've heard glowing & dire stories about every single primary in 5+ mile radius. Just see how you get on at Millfield smile.
What yr is your older DD in, Rugrats, 3 or 4? Is the younger one starting reception in September?

4madboys Sat 03-Mar-12 11:32:42

well i know our friends dd is getting on well tho there has been the odd issue, you get them at alll schools tho, i think tbh that with the right support at home most kids will do fine wherever they go.

ragged how about we arange a meet up with our mutual friend?!! let try and get seomthing sorted smile

TrulyMadlyBabyKid Fri 16-Mar-12 00:13:28

hello smile
I've not been on mumsnet before I'm a netmums fan but trying it out. I live in north Walsham. I moved here 7years ago from east london. It didn't take me long to settle especially when you have children. Mine are in Manor road and we've just heard the federation for the infants is merging with the juniors. I also have friends who's children go to Milfield and they are very happy with it.

TrulyMadlyBabyKid Fri 16-Mar-12 00:13:38

hello smile
I've not been on mumsnet before I'm a netmums fan but trying it out. I live in north Walsham. I moved here 7years ago from east london. It didn't take me long to settle especially when you have children. Mine are in Manor road and we've just heard the federation for the infants is merging with the juniors. I also have friends who's children go to Milfield and they are very happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now