relocating to norwich

(20 Posts)
lisarst85 Sun 06-Mar-16 12:15:23

Hi norfolk mummies!

This is going to be an extremely long post so a big apology in advance.
Here goes.... Myself,partner and two little one currently 3 years and baby of 13 weeks are planning to move to norwich, preferably East side (this year ) due to a friend living in yarmouth but I don't think that's the area we'd personally like to live. Can anyone give a few tips on areas? I have been researching for weeks now but could really use some personal opinions/advice with actual norfolk residents. The usual criteria really, good schools, playgroups and stay and play for the bubba, my son will be going preschool until next year but I know I'll have to start looking into primary school's soon. No more than 30 minutes commute to norwich town centre via bus or train we both don't drive. Or in the town but with our budget I doubt it. Due to me not working until next year (hopefully as a teaching assistant or back to nannying ) and partner works as a warehouse operative were looking at 2/3 bed houses no more than £ 600 ( I'm not asking for much am I ) the areas that I've so far researched are and not limited to are as follows :
and any other sorrounding areas East side of norwich.

again thank you for your time any tips and advice is much appreciated. Xx

Lec1980 Mon 07-Mar-16 10:51:11

I relocated to Norwich 3 years ago after living in London. I also do not drive and neither does my husband.

It's a bit odd here, rental prices seem to be lower in the inner Norwich area than if you search further out! There are A LOT of terraced houses near the city centre (generally 2 bedroom with a 3rd box room joined onto the back bedroom); if you look west (Golden Triangle) they will probably be £700 - £800 per month, but north is cheaper. I rent north city, am a 25 minute walk into city centre and pay £600 a month. It's a nice area and the schools are good. There is a children's centre and 2-3 other places that run playgroups.

All those lovely areas you listed will be more expensive, but on the plus side you'll probably find a house that's more roomy than a terraced.

The transport is also pretty rubbish here, to be honest. Most people drive and the buses are unreliable and don't run late. That's why we chose to be near the city centre; at least we can walk to everything we need. I think after being in London I would feel too stranded further out without a car.

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble!

lisarst85 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:08:19

Thanks lev 1980

No please ramble away! It's much needed I'm a complete novice with norwich so as much advice is much needed, I didn't think I would be able to afford around inner norwich town,that's actually where I would prefer to live 😆. I'm now getting a little excited now I can't wait to get away and have a slower pace of life and affordable living finally.

Lec1980 Tue 08-Mar-16 08:46:14

Yes we were so happy to get into a three bedroom house after being squashed into a tiny flat!

The only bad thing I'd say is the transport.a lot of the children at school have birthday parties in places that aren't far, but are an absolute arse to get to on the bus. I have had to turn a couple down because I just can't get to them without a two hour journey.

There are lots of different bus companies but no system similar to oyster so you can find yourself trawling the Internet for bus times and spending a lot of money.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

lljkk Thu 17-Mar-16 20:12:54

Former colleague lives in Loddon & praises the school there. No idea on public transport, it sucked when I lived in south Norfolk. Brundall not great either, I suspect.

Wymondham isn't east of Norwich... the house prices are high & school places tight. But trains every half hour, yay!

I know Wroxham fairly well... ho hum. It's okay. Might consider Sprowston if you'd consider Wroxham. Buses or train into city, but that road can be horrid busy. Still, the best best of the lot unless you look more at Sprowston.

Diss would be a long way out!!

If you can handle London then I wonder if you should consider Lakenham, or the area between Norwich rail station & Lionwood (?) school.

lisarst85 Tue 03-May-16 16:31:31

Thanks everyone for your advice it's very much appreciated, were popping up to norwich for 4 days in late June to have a look around the area and see where would best suit us xxgrin

Vagndidit Tue 03-May-16 16:45:39

We've managed 5+ years in Norwich without a car, so it can be done. We live in the Golden Triangle and have everything (yes, with the exception of those bloody soft play birthday venues out in nowheresville!) within walking distance.
Schools are among the best in this area. For places slightly out of reach, the 25/26/27 busses go from the West of the city outward quite frequently.

The X1 bus goes straight to Yarmouth in about 45 mins from the bus station--so you can see your friend.

Katie0705 Tue 17-May-16 14:49:04

Reedham is beautiful and is a 20 minute trip on the train. Regular and reliable train service. Great Yarmouth is about 9 miles from Reedham, and again quick on the train. Reedham Primary is a very good school and is walkable from any part of the village.
Good luck

Misty9 Wed 18-May-16 21:32:27

We relocated from the south to norwich nearly 5 years ago. We live in an area 20 mins walk to the city and ok schools (but that is so changeable anyway) near Ipswich road and city college. It's close to lakenham and parts of it aren't bad at all. Bit of a lack of parks though imo. Love Eaton park but surrounding area is mainly council estates I think. North city has all you ask for, and likely within your budget too. We just didn't get the right vibe from North city though (nothing against it). Trowse is nice but I agree with pp that villages are generally more pricey!

Good luck and feel free to pm smile

quirkychick Thu 19-May-16 17:09:39

I think I live near Misty! We are near Newmarket Rd. 20mins into the city with good schools, lots of parks: Heigham Park and Eagle Park are small, Eaton Park is much bigger and has lots of facilities.

EmilyGrayPhotography Thu 19-May-16 21:10:50

Hi, I hope you don't mind me joining in but we are also moving to Norwich from London, at some point soon. I have a 2 year old, a 4 year old and a third on the way.

Does anyone have any opinion on the area just north of the city around Aylsham/Drayton Road? I also need somewhere I can walk into the city easily.

Thanks in advance!

lljkk Thu 19-May-16 21:20:17

Depends exactly where you mean, but you can't easily walk into the city from much of that area... plus some of it is among the worst areas in England (Mile Cross). Areas around Magdalen St.are mixed quality, some are rough, but not Mile X rough.

Lakenham or Tuckswood are affordable, can walk to city centre, but not as deprived as Mile X.

EmilyGrayPhotography Thu 19-May-16 21:45:09

Thanks for getting back to me. The places we've seen are close to where Drayton Road meets Aylsham Road, close to roads like Buxton Road and Alma Terrace. So not as far north as Mile Cross, but good to know about that!

I'll check out Tuckswood and Lakenham too. We are visiting on Saturday so it will be a good opportunity to check some areas out.

Thanks again!

5madthings Thu 19-May-16 21:55:19

I live just off Ipswich road, twenty min walk Ish to city centre. It's nice.

Not sure on rental prices as we bought but couldn't afford golden triangle prices, plus we wanted garden and off road parking!

quirkychick Thu 19-May-16 22:18:08

5madthings it's nice there too <waves from near Newmarket Rd>. I moved from London 14yrs ago, dp had already bought this house as a doing up job. Prices have certainly risen since then. Very convenient walk to city centre, shops etc.

EmilyGrayPhotography Thu 19-May-16 22:41:06

Thank you 5madthings and quirkychick.

We are actually looking to buy too. I will check out the areas around Ipswich Road and Newmarket Road. Thanks so much!

lljkk Fri 20-May-16 07:30:14

Anglia Square area is grotty (but great for cheap as chips shopping). You would walk thru there to get to town. There are lots of offices west of Anglia Square that are pleasant to walk thru, but you have to deal with St. Augustine/Duke street traffic somehow. I suppose Anglia Square/Magd. St are ripe for gentrification but they've been saying that for 25 yrs.

Magd. St. has character, ethnic shops & the like.

quirkychick Fri 20-May-16 11:15:13

Yy, Anglia Square is grotty. Other parts of Norwich are mostly pretty, though smile.

lisarst85 Mon 20-Jun-16 11:57:47

Right ladies were here!! And guess what we're stuck in the travelodge due to this poxy weather. My two little one are grouchy and bored, any who was wondering if you ladies could help with some info on streets or roads to steer clear of, I seem to be interested in a few rental properties on Spencer street northcote road bull close and magpie road, we haven't a chance to have a look today but will be going on the buses around norwich tomorrow,anything would be much appreciated xx

Mattheguineapig Mon 20-Jun-16 13:34:06

Hi welcomesmile we moved 10 days ago! So far, so good! First thing I would say is to download the First bus app on your phone and buy tickets in advance. You just show it to the driver. Otherwise bus tickets are quite expensive and you pay for children over 5. We went and had lunch in town yesterday and it was so beautiful I was really happysmile Cinema City is a beautiful picture house cinema too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now