Moving to Norwich - In need of advice please

(17 Posts)
Singingstarfish Sat 09-Jul-16 18:06:20

Hi, I have seen there is loads of useful advice on here for people moving to Norwich and surrounding areas and I have read and re-read all the posts. We are hopefully going to be moving up from Suffolk and would really welcome some advice from anyone who lives there or has faced the same dilemma!
I would love to be quite near the City, either a bus ride or 30/40 minute walk with a few local amenties (cafe, grocers or supermarket) nearby, but my husband wants to live somewhere he can walk to fields, woods etc with the dog. Would really like an older property rather than a new build and have a daughter starting school next year so looking for a nice school too.
So my question is, is it possible to find a part of Norwich that can off all these things?? I have been looking at Thorpe st andrew as a possible, but not sure about walks with the dog, parks etc?
We know the city centre well but not the outskirts, so I'd be really grateful for any advice.

Mattheguineapig Sat 09-Jul-16 23:46:17

We recently moved to Norwich. We looked at Thorpe, it's great, really up and coming, with great primary and secondary schools. It was my preferred area. We couldn't find a house we liked that wasn't snapped up really quickly though. There are new builds on the estate but my DH didn't want to live in a new build either. We ended up a bit further north in Old Catton, which I love. We are 20 minutes from the City by bus and we have Catton Park and a couple of other really big woods near us. I love my kids' schools too. It does seem more 'woody' than Thorpe, but I couldn't be sure. It's quite close to the airport although the plane noise isn't particularly noticeable to me.

Singingstarfish Sun 10-Jul-16 00:19:06

Thanks for your reply mattheguineapig, I have been looking on rightmove for ages now and there doesn't seem to be much in Thorpe that's within our price range. I also prefer the older more established roads and 20s/30s houses. Can you walk in from old catton and what are the schools like? Did you move up from London?

Mattheguineapig Sun 10-Jul-16 13:23:12

Hi yes we moved up from London. We've been really pleasantly surprised at how quickly we settled in. The people who used to own our house said they walked from the football stadium home in 30 minutes, but I haven't tried a walk into town! There are buses from hereso frequently that I wouldn't bother unless I was desperate, I don't think !--lazy--.

Yes we had what we thought was a good budget and we struggled to find what we wanted in Thorpe that didn't need a lot of work. I think if you are looking at a walk into town and 20's or '30's houses you are looking at further into town. Maybe Coleman Road or the Golden Triangle. We didn't consider there so don't really know much about it.

Singingstarfish Sun 10-Jul-16 19:12:23

Thanks, it's really useful to hear from someone who has made the move and already gone through the process that we are about to start. How long did the whole thing take? Was it easy picking schools etc? It's good to know about the buses as I don't drive.
Umm I think the golden triangle is too pricey, I am liking the idea of the north and east side, but maybe will have to prepare for another doer upper - we have only just finished this house (6 years!)
It sounds like it's been a good move for you. We moved out of London about 8 years ago, I don't regret it but I miss some aspects of it. Hoping Norwich will be a nice compromise smile

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 21:08:49

We live near the city college and it's about a 20min walk to the city. Not brilliant for parks, but jenny lind isn't far and Eaton park is walkable at a push - and that's a lovely park. We're in a 20s house but it's getting more expensive round here every month it seems. Friends live a bit more into lakenham (right by the school) and it's a bit cheaper there. We really liked Bignold primary but sadly didn't get in as out of catchment. Lakenham is also rated good by Ofsted so hopefully it will work for ds.

We also lived in Thorpe and it was a longer walk into the city and a bit suburban for us. Not great for parks either but I know that a group of people were trying to address that.

We relocated here from south england when ds was 6 weeks old and it was quite hard to make friends but dh is pretty unsociable though having school to focus on would probably help.

Feel free to pm any questions smile

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 21:09:34

Oops, it's a 30s house!

Singingstarfish Sun 10-Jul-16 21:54:29

Thanks Misty, when I first started looking it was at the south of the city, the area you describe I think, but I just don't think we will be able to afford much and will be paying a lot more for probably less house. We really need to spend some time properly looking around the areas!
When you say Thorpe is a bit suburban, are there walkable shops and cafes in that area? Has it got easier to make friends? My dh is also pretty unsociable so know what you mean smile

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:22:59

We didn't really have walkable shops or amenities except a corner shop where we lived, but it might be different elsewhere. I really like our location - what's your budget if that's not too rude a question? smile

There were some lovely houses in North city around St clements Hill, but it just lacked the vibe we were looking for. Great parks and schools and affordable too.

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 22:25:06

What about renting first? It's what we did - three times in the end though not through choice!

Singingstarfish Sun 10-Jul-16 22:46:49

We have talked about renting but might be hard to get somewhere as we've got a dog. And would also need to be in the general area we intend to buy as have to start sorting out school place soon. Eek.
Not rude at all - Our max budget is 300k which we think is a lot but still doesn't seem to get you too much! I think if we had 500k to spend it woukd all be a lot easier smile
In what way did st Clements not have the right vibe, and where in Thorpe did you live - sorry hope you don't mind all the questions!

Misty9 Sun 10-Jul-16 23:34:43

In Thorpe we lived just off Yarmouth Rd and then off thunder Lane. Not sure I can put into words about the vibe thing - and it was complicated by the fact that we'd fallen in love with the house we ended up buying (but which was out of the picture when we looked around others).

I think you'll be fine on that budget around here! Ours was just over 250 nearly three years ago, and the friend I mentioned earlier paid half your budget for their 30s semi and did it up (now worth a lot more).

We had a cat when we rented... but I hate letting agents so would probably avoid if I could! Don't mind questions at all smile

Mattheguineapig Mon 11-Jul-16 11:09:56

We had the same budget. We found loads if houses to look at. I must admit we didn't look close to the city or Golden Triangle, but there were loads of really nice houses. We got a 4 bedroom detached for a tad under that and it's top spec decor and maintenance wise. If we wanted a'project' we could have spent a lot less. I think the vibe thing is a gut feeling. We never really considered living where we are, but fell in love with the house and obviously looked around the area. I would say Norwich to me is quite small, so it's easy to get to places. We only have a couple of corner shops hear us, but I don't mind, because in one bus ride, we're right in the thick of the city. We do have a cafe in walking distance, but it's a greasy spoon rather than hipster grin

quirkychick Mon 11-Jul-16 17:45:16

We're in the Golden triangle but north of the city there is Mousehold Heath with the lovely cafe at the Britannia Barracks. Near Thorpe there is Whitlingham Broad and Lion Wood if you are looking for somewhere more countryside.

I agree that Norwich is quite small and it's quite easy to travel either to the countryside or coast.

Singingstarfish Mon 11-Jul-16 20:37:26

Thanks all for your help.
I will definitely look at all the areas you have recommended and are happy with, you've been really helpful. I suspect that it will ultimately come down to house for us too...
I'll keep trawling rightmove and hopefully a few things will come up soon, and I will be back with more questions smile

Suffolker Thu 04-Aug-16 18:40:11

Late to the thread here but we live in Eaton (Norvic Drive area) and there are lots of lovely walks along the river near here, as well as Eaton park and Earlham park very close. Buses run frequently from UEA to the city centre. Decent schools nearby too. Good luck with your search!

Singingstarfish Sat 06-Aug-16 20:16:19

Thanks Suffolker,
I've been on rightmove since my original post but I must admit to feeling a bit despondent at the moment - prices are a lot higher than where we currently live. I thought we had a good budget but nothing has really grabbed us yet but still need to sell ours so maybe that's not such a bad thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now