Moving to Norfolk

(22 Posts)
jsjlilley Sat 20-Aug-16 21:20:51

We are looking to move to norfolk as where we currently live the air quality isnt good for my health. Not being from norfolk, we would ideally like to be near to the sea. So a village would be ideal as we currently live in a village in Leicestershire. I need to know where to avoid, districts good for kids, schools, cubs etc. Thank you

Joydgreen88 Sun 21-Aug-16 07:35:42

North Norfolk is lovely! Albeit one of the more expensive places to buy/rent, but there are some lovely villages round there. I'd look away from Sheringham and Cromer as they are very touristy and a bit rough and I'm not a fan of the schools, but the surrounding villages such as Holt, Upper Sheringham, Corpusty and Saxthorpe are really nice.

Another suggestion is the Reepham/Cawston/Aylsham area. Reepham has an excellent high school, rated good by Ofstead and the 6th form has just had an outstanding rating. The primary schools in the surrounding areas are also very good. Reepham is a beautiful village, with enough amenities to not feel isolated. It's about 20mins from Norwich, and around 20mins drive to the nearest beach. And not overly expensive which is always lovely! I'm Norfolk born and bred, so if you have any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Although I am biased, I adore Norfolk, it's a lovely, friendly county and I think you'll love living here!

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 07:48:30

Everything Joyd says.

The n.norfolk coast can feel quite isolated. There are supermarkets in Sheringham and Fakenham and a lovely smaller local supermarket in Holt and lots of little boutiques and delis but if you want to buy the kids shoes or anything high-street then Norwich is a long trek (50 mins from Wells Next The Sea). And of course there are a lot of posh incomers, which you may or may not like.

There's a very excellent primary at Langham. And Joyd is right about Reepham High. It's v good even by national standards. Successful Oxbridge not unheard of.

There's always the East coast too. Although I know that less well.

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 08:10:03

The best beaches are Brancaster on the west through to Stiffkey. There are 3 points of good access at Brancaster, Holkham and Wells plus more walkers access. All large and sandy and various facilities.

Cley, Salthouse and Wiveton are all lovely but pebbly.

There aren't really any large villages on the coast that I can think of.

Holt is the smallest coast but if you want a sandy beach it's not as close as you'd think looking at the map.

Anything north of the A148 and you definitely feel like you're in North Norfolk and it's lovely getting to the coast without crossing a main road. But if you want civilisation then I'd agree with Reepham/Aylsham/Cawston. In which case I'd check out the catchment area for Reepham high.

Reepham has a hotel/restaurant/bar plus a cute hardware store, estate agents a post office and maybe a tiny co-op.

Aylsham has a tescos, a budgens (lovely local supermarket chain), pubs, little boutiquey/interesting little shops, chemist, butchers. A fantastic dance school. It really is lovely and there's a lot of new builds going up. I don't know what the schools are like though.

pinkhorse Sun 21-Aug-16 08:32:31

I'm Norfolk born and bred..... You really want to avoid Great Yarmouth, trust me!
There are loads of beautiful places here. You'll love it

CleanAllThebastardThings Sun 21-Aug-16 17:07:54

Agree Yarmouth is best to avoid besides the odd tacky seafront day, however some of the surrounding villages are nice south of Norwich and you have the close proximity to North Suffolk which is lovely (Southwold, Beccles etc). I love North Norfolk but personally would feel quite isolated up there.

Mattheguineapig Sun 21-Aug-16 17:21:45

The Northern expressway might make North Norfolk a bit more accessable? Although I did look at a map of where its going to go and cant quite work out the benefit, people who've lived here longer seem quite pleased with it!

lljkk Sun 21-Aug-16 17:30:04

North Norfolk stretches from Hunstanton to California. Can you narrow down a bit more what you like or where you need to be?

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 18:27:12

North Norfolk stretches from Hunstanton to California

Err... no it doesn't confused

Hunstanton is West Norfolk & Kings Lynn and California is in Great Yarmouth.

If Mat means the Northern Distributor Road, then, no. It won't make North Norfolk more accessible. It is running from Attlebridge (just north of Norwich) to Postwick (just east of Norwich). It is essentially an outer-outer ring road.

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 18:38:10

Literally speaking, the district of North Norfolk runs from Holkham in the west, to Horsey in the east. However, I've never heard of anyone actually refer to the coast between Horsey and Mundesley as North Norfolk. Probably on account of that area being in the east side of the county.

jsjlilley Sun 21-Aug-16 19:24:29

Hi everyone! Thanks for your messages, which have been a great help. My husband currently teaches in Peterborough and would ideally like to travel about 50 minutes - 1 hr in traveling. We also ideally would like to be near to the coast as i have developed breathing problems and i have been advised to move to the coast! We also have a 10yr old boy. So ideally a village location with a good community etc.....

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 19:48:48

You're not going to get from the Norfolk coast to Peterborough in 50 mins. P'borough to Snettisham is currently over an hour according to Google. And that's on a Sunday night.

You might have to think about Lincolnshire instead. Boston is within 50mins of P'borough.

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 19:51:16

If it's so important for you to live on the coast, can't your DH change jobs?

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 19:53:29

The problem is with coastal villages is there aren't very many around any more with strong communities, because they are so heavily populated with weekenders and holiday homes. That's an issue all over the UK I think.

Katymac Sun 21-Aug-16 19:54:44

It is essentially an outer-outer ring road except it doesn't go all the way round...or have they fixed that now?

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 20:00:43

It links into the A47 at Postwick. But stops at Attlebridge. So there's still that hole between the Fakenham Road and the A47. Hence why there's so much traffic cutting through from Ringland and Lenwade.

op the closest Norfolk coastal village to Peterborough is Dersingham which is just under an hour from Peterborough. (At the moment, non idea about rush hour!). I've never been there but it's the Queen's local village when she's at Sandringham. I think they are very 'community' focused. The local football team plays the against the Sandringham estate staff and Wills & Harry every Boxing Day.

Katymac Sun 21-Aug-16 20:02:45

& the roundabout at Postwick is a total nightmare - hate it - I avoid at all costs

Not helping with the whole coastal village scenario -sorry blush

lljkk Sun 21-Aug-16 21:47:17

I've never heard of anyone actually refer to the coast between Horsey and Mundesley as North Norfolk.

yeah, only those of us who actually live here would call it what it is.

Huntstanton to Wells is still basically the northern boundary of Norfolk, and actually the area that OP was trying to ask about, even if it's not in NNDC or Norman Lamb's constituency.

2 hours of driving every day is killer. I hope you find something suitable, OP.

Katymac Sun 21-Aug-16 21:55:21

Horsey is still Broads tho' isn't it (hoping so as I work there)

Surely North is well past Sea Palling & Bacton much more towards Cromer - but when I put it into Google it does start that low - is it the Borough Council?

SophieGtMassingham Sun 21-Aug-16 22:09:53

I live in west norfolk and the road to Peterborough is hideous, I certainly wouldn't want to commute it every day.

Normal4Norfolk Sun 21-Aug-16 22:23:10

How close to Peterborough does your DH work OP?

Could he get the train from
Kings Lynn and cycle at the other end?

2anddone Sun 04-Sep-16 16:24:15

Train doesn't go from Lynn to Peterborough he would need to change at Ely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now