Local Talk

Anyone in Cromer/ surrounding areas?

(34 Posts)
totalmisfit Mon 12-May-08 10:21:58

Hi, we're hopefully going to be moving up from London in the next few months with 2.2 yr old dd (dp has a new job in Sheringham starting in September). We're quite keen on Cromer, so i'd love to find out if there are any other people on MN in the area..

Is it generally a good place to live when you have young children, or is it mainly geared towards older retired types?

BlaDeBla Mon 19-May-08 18:44:28

We're just down the road in Hoveton, which is a bit dodderchops-on-sea, but there are lots of kids and other people and things going on. We're trying to find somewhere to rent atm, which is quite tiresome... dogs, children, grown-ups...

totalmisfit Wed 21-May-08 14:49:42

i know what you mean - we'll be renting when we move and we're having a tough time trying to find somewhere which will allow pets and toddlers and has a garden...

'dodderchops-on-sea' lol, i'll have to remember that one grin

I don't know of any MNers in Cromer or Sheringham, there are 3 of us in/near North Walsham, though.
I would say there's plenty for kids to do in the area, the retired types tend to concentrate more towards Wells/Holt area.
There was a thread in UK:travel that listed a lot of kiddy things you can do in Cromer, recently. Actually, Dh is off with my 3 dc at the cinema in Cromer today.

totalmisfit Thu 05-Jun-08 08:08:24

ok cool - we should be moving in Aug/Sept so if there's any MN meetups happening in the area around that time please let me know!

I love Cromer cinema btw- it's a real gem, the way cinemas used to be before they all became soulless multiplexes!

BlaDeBla Sun 08-Jun-08 19:21:02

You have animals too? It's bloody horrible the amount of anti-pet predjudice. It's like what it must have been like being black or asian in the 1950s. Some people are SO RUDEshock

Mummy2Freya Thu 19-Jun-08 20:00:29

Hi all, I live a few miles from the coast, can't believe I finally found a site with locals on it!! I have a 13`week old baby girl snd don't know that many people`around here.

claire7676 Sat 21-Jun-08 23:51:03

Hi, I am 2 of the 3 around N Walsham, ((peanutbutterkid, 3? Tell me more!!)) We moved up from London a year ago. Plenty we miss I'll tell u. However, I do strongly believe it's a better place to raise slightly more "free range kids" as a friend of ours put it!

totalmisfit Mon 23-Jun-08 08:59:43

Bladebla - i know what you mean! and to think Britain is supposed to be a nation of animal lovers! all dp and i want to do is buy dd a tiny little kitten (one of the key reasons we'll be so glad to leave our pokey little london flat where pets are banned and we don't have a garden) and they act as if you're asking to keep a chimpanzee!

claire7676 - well done you for escaping the big smoke - i can't wait to do the same! (only a month and a half to go!) I agree, it must be a better place to bring up kids - i was walking around house-hunting last week and saw some kids coming out of the local secondary school - shock, horror they weren't smoking or swearing! they looked like kids are supposed to look, not mini-adults iyswim. Gave me hope that dd can have a decent childhood in the years to come.

Hopefully i can help to make up the MN numbers in the area! Would anyone be interested in maybe having a 'big' meetup at the beach towards the end of the summer? Could be a bit hectic trying to keep an eye on the kids and hold a conversation...but we can try...?!

mummy2freya - hi! i vaguely remember dd being that age (she's 2.3 yrs now) would be great for me to meet some other mums in the area too, once we finally move!

Claire, I dunno how regularly the other N-Wm mum posts or even what talk name she has now - I'm sure she'll out herself if she wants.

I am pretty sure that no MN meetup has ever happend successfully in Norfolk, but could always be a first.

totalmisfit Mon 11-Aug-08 11:07:09

not long till we move now!

really excited to be leaving London at last...

If anyone wants to break with tradition and meet up at some point after August 30th do let me know smile

Would love to get to know some local mums asap...

whereabouts are you moving to?

there's quite a lot of groups etc in the area

Good luck with the move!

(Was Mummy2Freya by the way)

totalmisfit Thu 21-Aug-08 20:56:22

we're moving to overstrand, just a couple of miles outside cromer...not sure if there's much happening around there! whereabouts are you based?

any groups/ recommendations most welcome smile

Ah, I see, the posh village, then .
Have you been to the CAFF?, yet? There is no better reason to go to Overstrand (imho) grin.

You'll soon discover the delights of FunStop and Elephant Playbarn, then (Playbarn does good food, actually).

I propose Elephant Playbarn, if you can ever organise a meetup.

totalmisfit Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:38

oh no! didn't realise it was posh... i just thought it was pretty, (and it had the only house we could find with a garden)

we're only renting for now, (couldn't sell our flat in time) so will probably keep looking around the area for a year or so.

overstrand seems lovely but maybe a bit too quiet for my tastes!

yes, have ventured into the caff a couple of times, quite sweet, really smile and a great view if i remember rightly.

is playstop in cromer itself? i think i've been past it a few times and whereabouts is the elephant barn? - the name sounds about right for my lo as she's going through a stompy phase..

totalmisfit Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:44

been here for a couple of weeks now - really strange - i keep expecting to have to 'go home' again and then i remember that we live here!

have been along to a few toddler groups but feeling a bit like the new girl at school tbh.

sallyjaygorce Mon 14-Sep-09 21:01:43

Hello,

I have just moved from London to a village near Sheringham and would love to meet some people who are in their 30's and 40's - some interesting types in the village but all knocking on heaven's door age-wise. I have three children (5,4 and 1) and like to talk about stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with childcare.

Anyone out there?

totalmisfit Mon 28-Sep-09 09:53:50

Hi Sally, i'm 28 and live near Cromer since moving up from London. So not quite 30's but getting there! i have a dd who's 3.6 and another due in January. It's very much a retirement place, isn't it? Lovely as most of the oldies are, i do wish dd and i had a few more families to get to know locally.

jelly2 Sat 16-Jan-10 16:36:03

hi

i am in sheringham - grew up here and recently moved back from London. I have a 9 month old little girl. we all love it here. great place for kids. as a sheringham girl i would of course suggest you have a look at sheringham

there is a child friendly community here and what is nice is that nothing is over subscribed. there is something to do inside everyday in the winter with toddlers and that is just sheringham.

hope you love it to.

excuse the lower case - one-handed typing baby breastfeeding.

HepV Fri 05-Apr-13 23:29:28

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I thought I might resurrect it with the hopes of finding some similar mums in the area.

We just moved to Cromer, and I'm looking for other mums in the lcoal area for meetups, coffee, etc.

I have a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl.

2manychildren Sun 28-Apr-13 18:24:08

Hi I live in Cromer and I love it. I am probably too old for you (as my name says) I do have a 7yr old don't ask grin
Hope you settle in quickly.....I felt at home in just 3 weeks despite the new house falling apart!!

Sheringham14 Tue 07-Jan-14 22:35:05

Hi, I'm about to move to sheringham and was wondering if there's anyone nearby. I'm a nanny but the reason I've moved to Norfolk is that I am going to become a foster mum in a few years so would be lovely to meet some mums/nannies/childcarers who live in sheringham or nearby.
Would be great to start to find my feet and make friends as I do up my house and prepare for life as a foster mum!

br0n2e Tue 07-Jan-14 22:39:01

Hello
I'm in Holt and happy to meet up for coffee or whatever.
I have four dc but they're all school age now. smile
I know how hard it is to meet people in a new area. It took me a year before I knew anyone who wasn't a shopkeeper.

Sheringham14 Tue 07-Jan-14 23:37:20

That would be lovely, I looked at holt it was lovely.
I should be moving up in bout 6-8 weeks once everything's completed would be lovely to meet up.
Wow 4dc that's great smile
Am slightly nervous about such a big move as I don't have children yet but I know I will be in a few years and want to get my house ready before i start fostering.
was worried about trying to meet mums, child-carer's and other foster mums in the area as I don't have any foster kids yet!!

2manychildren Sun 09-Feb-14 21:20:11

Sheringham14 this site has changed my nameconfused I am 2old2beamum I live in Cromer and have adopted 8 children now aged
8-33. There are lots of crazy people like me, I may be a bit old ??????
Good luck it is wonderful up on the N Norfolk coast

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now