Local Talk

I'm new to norfolk and lonely

(15 Posts)
JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Wed 21-Sep-11 20:11:18

I grew up in near by bury st edmunds and struggled to make mum friends, none of my old friends have children and four years down the beaten track I'm feeling the strain.

I made one good mum friend and the move made things hard and now she's emigrating sad

Ds is 4 and just started school dd is 2.10 and so bored.

We moved into thetford in july and quite settled here but I'd just like to talk to some nice mums local to me, the ones at school all know each other <wibble>

joshandjamie Wed 21-Sep-11 22:33:34

I'm not near you at all but wanted to say that I know what that feels like. All I can suggest is that you try to invite the ones from school to yours for a glass of wine and see if any of them return the favour.

chesky Fri 23-Sep-11 11:54:07

I know how you feel, i live near Diss, and also find it hard to make friends with other mums. I have joined a few local groups, but find that the other mums can be very clicky

bellastella Fri 23-Sep-11 12:09:18

i'm in thetford! and i'm nice! moved here last june and it's a bugger to make new friends. i've got 3ds. ds1 is nearly 13 and at the north high school, ds2 will be 4 in two weeks and is at nursery every afternoon and ds3 is 4 months and the reason for no capitals (one-handed typing due to him having a bf!)
there are some nice groups, do you know about them?
wanna meet up for a brew or wine ? smile

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Fri 23-Sep-11 20:04:44

Thanks for the replies everyone!

<Waves> hi bella, I'm so clueless about the whole area, just grabbed a time table for my local sure start today as dd is hopefully starting the nursery attached in new year for a couple of days to prepare her for school nursery in september.

Literally everyone at ds school knows each other all grew up here etc were total outsiders sad <wibble> and all go ss together, I'm such a wuss.

I'm aldi-trainstation area without outing myself, how about you?

I'd love to meet a fellow mner, were all normal in a mental
Kind of way.

On a less wimpy note I meet two lovely mums on the bus to bury the other day which cheered me up smile

bellastella Sun 25-Sep-11 21:16:15

Hiya, i'm on my phone now so probably no paragraphs now either! i live roughly oppoite the leisure centre. so not far from you, ish :-) if you've got the sure start timetable i'm probably going to the bumps and babes group tomorrow (monday) morning. its mostly chatting round tables, toys on the floor and a craft activity on the side. there's bf support too but its mostly social. could see you there? as well as the things on that list, there's a group at the library, one at the museum and some at the leisure centre! i think i know about them all although i haven't tried them all! i can tell you the exact times if you want :-)

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Sun 25-Sep-11 21:50:20

I'm all full of flu atm so staying well away from everyone sad

Dd is almost three wouldn't she be a bit to erm boisterous big for bumps and babes? As soon as I'm over this nastiness I'm up for any groups, we just joined the library too, ds was very impressed with the story sacks they do.

bellastella Wed 12-Oct-11 13:30:35

hiya jj, how are you feeling now? we've been poorly here too but all healthy at the moment! just had ds2's 4th birthday so been busy but all settled again. did you want to try meeting up? is your ds at school full time?

re dd being too old for b&b group...how about trying the one at the leisure centre? thursdays 10-11 in main hall, bouncy castle, play mats with foam shapes, mini trampoline and beam, ball pool....costs about £3.50 and you can follow it with a parent and toddler swim from 11-12. (we don't do the swim as i have to make lunch then pack ds2 off to nursery, hooray!) it's not structured at all, but there is a bit of optional story and singing at the end.

also did you know there is a soft play centre in thetford? it's called fun to play and is on the fison way industrial estate. naturally it is hideous and lovely in equal measures smile

davinaAVON Thu 24-Nov-11 10:21:46

Hi

Shortly after i moved here from 50 miles away i joined as an Avon Rep, with the sole purpose being to meet people and make friends, it has worked for me, i've met loads of people and made friends, so there is a social side to it as well as making a bit of money and getting discounted products. I am just starting as a Sales Leader now, so i can help others do the same if anyone wants to try it, let me know smile

kell4lifex Sun 15-Jan-12 22:25:38

Hi, is this post still going? My family and I have moved to Kenninghall (situated between Attleborough, Diss and Thetford and about 5mins drive from Banham Zoo). I'm 30 and I have a very sociable little boy who has just turned 3 and a little girl of 5 who has just started school. Looking to make some new friends for both myself and the kiddies as we dont really know anyone here smile

4madboys Sun 15-Jan-12 22:31:19

there are quite a few norwich/norfolk mums around! i am in norwich, we have a fb group and arrange meetups, with and without the children! are you on fb? smile

kell4lifex Mon 16-Jan-12 19:55:09

Yes I'm on Facebook, whats the page details?

bellastella Tue 24-Jan-12 20:52:46

hiya, just found this thread again! I'd like the facebook details too if poss smile

Just found this thread. I'm in Beccles and whilst it's a lovely place to live, the mums at DS1's school are so cliquey it's awful for anyone new. I have been here for three years in June and still have no friends - these mums talk to me when it suits, but will stop talking and turn their back on me when other clique members arrive. No wonder I'm on MN so much! I'm from Norwich originally though.

suze76 Sun 01-Sep-13 14:15:23

Hi, I`m in Brandon and have a 10 month old son, if anyone fancies a chat or meet up just let me know x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now