Local Talk

Anyone live in Beith?

(24 Posts)
SallyfromSA Wed 01-May-13 14:53:42

Hi,

We are moving so my husband can take up a job near Glasgow.

Does anyone live in Beith or can anyone tell me more about it. We have a 5 year old son and have possibly found a holiday house to rent there but wondering if we could make it a longer term stay if the area is good.

Looks like Gateside is the nearest school.

We are moving from Australia if you wonder why I am so clueless about the area!

Thanks,
Sally

KilwinningMacdog Sat 04-May-13 17:04:33

Hi there, I'm not in Beith but live nearby.
As far as I know, Gateside school is as good as any. It's in a small village community.

Beith is a fairly big town, in very rural surroundings.
It's handily placed to reach Glasgow easily by road or rail.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and try and answer if I can smile

GleamingInStevenston Sun 05-May-13 09:07:30

Hi Sally, I don't know much about Beith (haven't lived here very long), but just wanted to say Hi and hope you'll come and meet up with us whether you're in the area temporarily or permanently. When do you think you'll get here? Will all your belongings be coming by container, if so let us know if there are things you need whilst you wait for them to arrive, I am sure we'll help if we can

SallyfromSA Mon 06-May-13 00:34:19

Thanks for the replies. Didn't get an email so didn't realise I had had a couple. Kilwinning, I looked up the hme for Gateside and it is "very good" in all categories so that is encouraging.

Where are you from, Gleaming? We really need to be there by beg August which is when hubby's job starts. Things got delayed with the offer coming through and now it's a bit stressful as we have to sell house and I have to get a settlement visa.

Container will come later , yes! Thanks for your very kind offer. The short term holiday let is furnished but there could always be a delay, so that is much appreciated.

Thank you so much. Great to hear for some locals! Google only gets you so far. smile

GleamingInStevenston Mon 06-May-13 08:40:11

I live in Stevenston Sally, which is a couple of miles South towards the coast from Beith, so easily within reach for meeting up. I moved here last Summer after 30 years in England, but I am originally from just North of Glasgow.

This site doesn't email you when someone replies - you just have to keep popping back grin

Do let us know how things are going - you've got a right busy time ahead!

SallyfromSA Mon 06-May-13 11:07:26

Feeling very thick, Gleaming. I thought your "handle" might be a clue to your location after I posted that...doh...so much to learn. Pronunciations for a start. I'm not even sure I'm saying "Beith" properly...

Busy indeed. House only just gone on the market so I am trying to keep things clean and tidy & explaining why we can't have a train track in every room in the house right now.

Pray to the Quick House Sale Gods for us.

GleamingInStevenston Mon 06-May-13 19:06:29

I am having a word with the Quick House Sale Gods for you! Beith is pronounced Beeth (like beef), don't worry loads of people in Scotland have never heard of Stevenston either!

KilwinningMacdog Thu 09-May-13 19:20:50

Hi! Sorry I've not been around much recently.
(It's pronounced Beathe rhymes with breathe wink)

I'm usually to be found on twitter, so please feel free to alert me there if you've got a question here!!

Beith has a good supermarket for food/groceries,and a few miles at there is a larger one that sells electrical goods/clothes.
There are also local shops for groceries too.

Good luck with house sale

GleamingInStevenston Fri 10-May-13 10:22:43

Listen to Macdog for proper local pronunciation - though us in-comers get on fine with Beeth!

KilwinningMacdog Sat 11-May-13 19:48:34

Haha!! grin

SallyfromSA Tue 14-May-13 09:15:41

Rhymes with breathe, rhymes with breathe. Committing to memory.

First viewer came to look at house. Coming back this evening with husband. Could it be that easy? Surely not...

Your prayers to idol gods might have worked!

KilwinningMacdog Tue 14-May-13 10:31:59

Exciting. Keeping everything crossed smile

GleamingInStevenston Thu 16-May-13 21:37:11

oooh Sally do hope it all goes smoothly for you smile

SallyfromSA Fri 17-May-13 04:37:37

Thanks guys,

The viewers are either playing it very cool or are not keen after all. No word as yet and no more viewings but let's hope we get some more "action" next week, as husband has resigned so we can put a For Sale sign up. (Couldn't before as colleagues who stay in the area oblivious.)

Lovely correspondence with the lady who owns the holiday let in Beith. Just so lovely because I got a bit hysterical about dates and not being able to book tickets 'til I have my visa and getting my son into school and...breathe....breathe...rhymes with Beith...

She was just SO nice it made me feel so much better about it all. And so pleased I am moving to a corner of the globe with possibly the warmest, loveliest people on earth. smile smile smile

In through the nose, 2, 3, 4 and out through the mouth 2, 3, 4...

GleamingInStevenston Fri 17-May-13 08:59:46

Oh rats Sally, do you think the husband decided he didn't want the house? Maybe it'll just take a few days for him to 'be persuaded', otherwise here's every good wish for the perfect viewers to fall in love with your house and grin three cheersgrin for the lovely lady in Beith.

Does your husband have to work his notice or does that mean he's now at home getting under your feet helping?

Stay calm and don't forget to tell us each exciting instalment!

SallyfromSA Fri 17-May-13 09:37:12

Husband will be working 'til we go. Or there abouts.

The agent said the husband didn't say a word throughout the viewing! Mmmm... let's hope they are all out in their house hunting droves over the weekend. Somewhat painful having to keep an immaculately tidy house. If not impossible.

Positive thinking and all that!
Enjoy your weekend. Next thrilling installment SOON!

GleamingInStevenston Fri 17-May-13 11:32:23

I hate it when they say nothing, we sold our last house last August and it was so much easier if they just said it wasn't for them up front! I too hated trying to keep the house tidy - and there are only two of us...

KilwinningMacdog Fri 17-May-13 12:32:48

How awful grrrrrr.....angry

Fingers still crossed.

SallyfromSA Wed 22-May-13 02:58:01

Hoping to have good news any day now...just don't want to jinx it. Back soon...

KilwinningMacdog Thu 23-May-13 09:33:49

Everything crossed!

GleamingInStevenston Thu 23-May-13 19:17:57

nonjinxingvibes nonjinxingvibes nonjinxingvibes nonjinxingvibes nonjinxingvibes

SallyfromSA Fri 24-May-13 11:22:09

Nope, jinxed it. But I am just radiating positivity. If I were any more positive I would explode.

Oh, jeez. I'm so bad at this. Genetic predisposition to fretting = Cursed.

GleamingInStevenston Fri 24-May-13 18:49:25

Oh! No! How frustrating! Keep on keeping positive (but don't explode)

KilwinningMacdog Fri 24-May-13 19:24:55

Gaaaah!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now