Local Talk

Recently moved to Stoke-on-Trent - local playgroups?

(8 Posts)
salw202 Mon 08-Aug-11 00:00:03

I've recently moved from Stoke-on-Trent (Fenton) from nearby Brighton. Feeling a bit lost as I've had to leave behind my group of NCT girls and babes and a very active area for baby/toddler groups. I'm really struggling to find groups within the city - does anybody know of any, apart from those at the surestart centres? Or does anyone know of a good hall with some existing equipment where we could start up a group?

Hi
I've tried a few activities around Stoke although I tend to go towards Newcastle more often - how far would you be able to travel?
I didn't go to an NCT group so don't really know what the difference is, but have you tried the surestart centre at all?
Fenton Childrens centre isn't my closest so I haven't tried all the groups there, but I do use the sensory room. They also run stay and play sessions on Friday's, there is baby massage and a music and movement session on Thursdays.
- http://www.stokefis.co.uk/Files/Fenton%20September%202011.pdf

I've been to the Singing Sunflowers at Stoke Library (Friday mornings) although that got a bit crowded, I know Hanley Library has similar although I'm not sure what days.

I tend to use Newcastle library for bounce and rhyme as there's a bit more space than the Stoke one, that's Tuesday or Wednesday 11am and is pretty popular.

I hope that helps a bit.

Creena Mon 21-May-12 15:07:37

You could check out your local Children's Centre. There is one in Fenton. They have regular activities for familes with children under five (e.g. Jo Jingles, Stay and Play etc). Would be worth ringing them to check their calendar of events. You can find contact details here: http://www.stoke.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/community-and-living/childrens-centres/

hellyd Mon 21-May-12 16:10:22

Welcome to stoke. I have lived here for years but still found it hard to find groups when my son was little but these are a few of the ones I did find and like....
not sure where in Stoke you are but there is a lovely toddler group called noah's ark at st Andrews church hall in Sneyd Green on a Friday and in Baddeley green there is Baddeley green preschool which runs a toddler group on a Wednesday afternoon also preschool sessions for 2yo and over (nappy friendly).
Also dimensions pool in Burslem? has baby swimming classes and aquatots and Fenton manor pool also has aquatots.
Also have a look at the local council web site www.stoke.gov.uk for the library and museum activity's as i think the museum runs some toddler arty things and there is a toddler reading thing at the library but not sure when.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 31-May-12 12:55:01

salw welcome to Sunny Stoke! Have you tried the local NCT group? You can get in touch with them through www.nct.org.uk/northstaffordshire. If you are on Facebook they also have a group, just search for NCT North Staffordshire. Give them a ring though as they don't always have all of their events on the website. If you've transferred you membership with the NCT they should be in touch soon anyway.

Have you thought about setting up and NCT Open House to help you make local friends? Have you had a look at the La Leche League too?

JiltedJohnsJubilee Sat 02-Jun-12 09:03:11

salw how are you getting on now? Have you managed to find anything?

Thought you might like this. Is that the kind of thing you are after?

Moll13 Thu 09-May-13 15:35:36

Hello. Lots on at the cheadle sure start centre. Come along any day!

Voicesinmyear Fri 06-Sep-13 15:31:59

Moll have you thought of putting the details for the activities at Cheadle Surestart on MN local? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now