Local Talk

Childrens pole dancing lessons

(6 Posts)
lilacmoonstar Thu 16-Jun-11 10:48:32

Hi, I'm a local mother of three children who is concerned about the Little Spinners Pole dancing lessons for children as young as 3 years old in Northampton. It has received national media attention this week, and me, along with other parents and concerned adults, have formed a group to discuss how we can shut this class down. I would really appreciate any thoughts on this..support..or any ideas from anyone who would know how this can be achieved. Thanks.

nokissymum Thu 16-Jun-11 16:44:59

hi there is already a thread about this, i think its under AIBU ? section, please check, you might get more response under there.

Personally id like to see it shut down. I dont belive an activity that has long been associated with the sex industry should now be offered as "fitness" class to young children, it has sickening conotations, i can just hear it:

" oh where you off to with little Molly ?"
mum: "just taking her to her pole dancing lessons"

We are deluding ourselves to think any good will come out of this, sheer exploitation.

Amieesmum Thu 16-Jun-11 18:59:35

It's just not right - What kind of parent would actually let their kids go?!?!?!?

lilacmoonstar Thu 16-Jun-11 21:41:52

Thanks I will check..i'm new to here so not quite sure what Im doing. I read an article in the local newspaper today and it was an interview with the woman running these classes..it goes as follows: Carly Wilford, aged 30, said she launched the under-16 classes from her Make Me Fabulous dance studio in Connaught Street, The Mounts, following demand from parents.

She claimed the Little Spinners class, which involves acrobatics around a pole, has been ‘stripped back’ of any sexual aspect and instead boosted young girls’ confidence and self-esteem.
Despite the widespread criticism of the lessons, Carly said she would be continuing with the class on Thursday.

She said: “I was prepared that people might take this view. I would understand it if I was teaching girls to dance in a sexual way, but I’ve stripped back any sexual aspect. I’m only teaching them anything they can do on a fireman’s pole or a street lamp.

“I’m not sexualising anyone.

“The lessons are about exercise, having fun and letting themselves go in a safe environment.

“These people with pre-conceived ideas, looking at stereotypes, are the ones with the problem.

“I’m a good person, I’m not doing this for money-making, I’m doing it for the good of the world to make it free of stereotypes and preconceived ideas.

“We’re in a world where innocence of children is taken away, they should be able to be kids again and have fun without worrying that they are going to be judged.”

Carly added that she had received a lot of support for her classes.

I think her claims are laughable and totally outrageous!

Message withdrawn

SingleMan25b Sun 07-Aug-11 22:31:56

The things some people will do to make money! Shame on you Carly Wilford

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now