Local Talk

Wymondham schools

(53 Posts)
takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 10:28:34

This is a totally bonkers question as I am only 21+3 with my first baby, but DH and I are seriously thinking about moving to Attleborough from Cambridge and, because of our mortgage situation, this will be a very long-term move - at least 10 years, I'd say, and probably longer in the same house. So we're trying to consider all the long-term implications of so the move, and secondary schools is one of them! (Okay, okay, I'm mad).

My question is, I know that Wymondham College is absolutely brilliant and that it's halfway between Attleborough and Wymondham. Its criteria are apparently musical/sporting ability (well, we can try), brothers/sisters already in the school, and proximity of your home to the school. So, let's just say the baby turns out to be a straight A-grade concert pianist (ha ha!) - do children from Attleborough get to go to the schools in Wymondham or do they just automatically go to Attleborough High?

Obviously this is doubly nuts, since the baby (a little girl ) may equally well be an illiterate urchin without a musical or sporting bone in her body grin - but I'm just thinking through all the variables

I've heard that Wymondham High is pretty good too, so the same question applies - where do the catchment areas lie?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 10:34:57

You have no hope of getting into Wymondham High unless you live within catchment which Attleborough will not be.

Your assumptions about Wymondham College are correct.

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 10:36:50

Have a look here - this includes the feeder schools if you scroll down

Morley is close to Wymondham College wink

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 10:49:58

Something like this. It may not have what you need at the moment but <dons Kirstie & Phil hat> it has potential. I have put up the schools map and the blue dot is Wymondham College.

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 10:51:34

Brilliant - just what I needed. Thank you!

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 10:52:15

Was just looking at that house!

throckenholt Wed 16-Feb-11 11:04:57

Wymondham college takes people from a wider catchment (I know people in Swardeston (a140 south of Norwich) and Forncett (near Long Stratton) that go there - but it is all tied up with boarding and siblings and a lot else.

Impossible to second guess what the situation would be in 10 years time.

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 11:12:47

There is a few from my village that go to Wymondham College, but they are very musical/gifted and talented and already have siblings there. There is a bus that comes in the morning and takes the students there.

I want my dd to go there for 6th form, but we shall see.

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 11:19:07

Hi throckenholt, yes I know it's impossible to second guess what the situation will be. But I think it's worth giving at least a little thought - i.e., if we moved here and never moved again what would be the options for our children (based on what's there now). I'd rather do that than find myself stuck ten years down the line and wonder why I didn't even think about it!

So am I right in thinking that if, for instance, we moved to Great Ellingham, and we had a gifted and talented child who played piano to grade 8 or whatever, she'd stand a good chance of getting into Wymondham College> And that if she didn't, she'd automatically go to Attleborough High?

Not exactly liking the look of Attleborough High so moving nearer to Wymondham might be worth the extra drive for DH.

As I said, I know I'm being bonkers and this is quite low down on the list of things we're thinking about, but I just thought it was worth asking

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 11:19:38

What's your village fimbo? (Don't tell me if you don't want to!)

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 11:25:15

The H one nearest to Wymondham!

Now I am not one to listen to gossip on the street on a daily basis but rumour has it that as well as being the next Myleene Klass/Prof Stephen Hawkings, it is a case of who you know too.

throckenholt Wed 16-Feb-11 11:27:14

>I'd rather do that than find myself stuck ten years down the line and wonder why I didn't even think about it!

that's true.

I think your supposition about Wymondham is right now - but again it may not be like that in 10 years time.

I would definitely steer clear of Thetford schools wise .

I would look in the Wymondham and Hethersett area - for ease of access to UEA, and Norwich and connection to Cambridge - which would probably give most flexibilty for future commutes for your DH once he gets a new job.

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 11:31:57

Of course your dh could keep pestering WC for a job grin.

Joking aside, we moved to where we are as at the time the schools were realtively ok. The High School is ok, not great, latest ofsted is only satisfactory but it is the type of school that if you have a child that is able and wants to do well then they will be ok and certainly that is the case with my dd, who is in the top sets for everything apart from Maths. We are either going to try for WC for 6th form or pay for her to go to Norwich High School for girls for a year.

Ds is in year 2 and we will look at the school situation again before he is due to start High School.

We were going to move just before dd started High School over to Thorpe St Andrew but dd was devastated and didn't want to leave her friends so we ended up just staying where we are and moving to a bigger house. I think as they get older and firm friendships develop it is very hard to move them but I guess it depends on the child. My dd is quiet and shy and would find it difficult to move on whereas my niece would just take it all in her stride.

My dc also do all their outside interests in the village too, Beavers, swimming, dancing, badmintion etc etc. We are also lucky having a decent library here.

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 11:36:08

The thought has crossed my mind fimbo grin Your village sounds lovely, btw!

Thanks too throckenholt. I like Wymondham and Hethersett. Time to start twisting DH's arm, I reckon grin

Anyway, this is all hypothetical since the mortgage product we want is so new the bank have told the media but not their staff, apparently, so we're waiting to see if it's even possible. If not we'll be renting so we'll have much more flexibility about moving later.

Wish it would just all be sorted out!

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 11:40:17

The house next door to me, could be coming up for rent shortly as ironically their dd goes to school in Wymondham and they need to move shortly to get her into Wymondham HigH!

Fimbo Wed 16-Feb-11 11:41:12

Actually if you did move here, you would probably be able to find someone to car share with you.

MegBusset Wed 16-Feb-11 12:56:02

That last single-carriageway stretch of the A11 is going to be dualled so should knock a fair bit off the drive in a few years.

We looked at Wymondham too but decided we wanted to be nearer the city. Re: Hethersett, we decided against it as at (I think) middle school level there is only a CofE school, this may not be an issue for you but was for us.

We are in TSA but it is definitely very suburban, we are old and boring though so we don't mind ;)

takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 15:12:25

Thanks. Yes, I drive through that Elveden bit to work most days and it does slow things down (though the traffic isn't that bad. It beats being stuck on the M25!). I wonder if the roadworks will be a nightmare though, while it's being done.

No chance of moving closer to the city - DH's commute becomes totally ridiculous then, and he wants to spend some time with the baby! (He works in St. Ives - 20 minutes west of Cambridge). Even Wymondham is pushing it.

Disappointed about Attleborough though - is there nobody out there who likes it?!

threetimesabridesmaid Wed 16-Feb-11 21:06:15

fimbo - I'm moving to Hethersett in March! Much to do for mums and babies?

And - I may be a little biased - but Wymondham High is actually the best!

takethatlady Thu 17-Feb-11 07:47:02

Congrats threetimesabride - on your move and your babies! Did you go to Wymondham High then? I think the consensus on here is it's a lot better than Attleborough wink

Fimbo Thu 17-Feb-11 10:50:10

Ooh threetimesabridesmaid you simply must inbox me, to tell me whereabouts! I will in turn pass on the info you need grin

threetimesabridesmaid Thu 17-Feb-11 16:46:46

No, Takethat, I... <<fearful of being outed>> work there.
Fimbo - will PM you when I'm not on my phone.

We currently live in Wymondham and are thinking of going back to Mulbarton which is where dh and I grew up. I want to move back as I have found it nigh on impossible to make friends in the two years that I have been here as have found it hard to chip into already established groups of mums. I understand that the infant and junior schools are all ofsted 'outstanding' and the high school is gradually getting better with it's new head after a unsettled period. Mulbarton on the other hand has very average schools, feeding into Hethersett High. Where we live we have a neighbouring group of families that think nothing of walking down the street drunk or swearing at their kids out in their gardens. My dd goes to preschool with some of these children and so far the repercussions of this language have not manifested themselves, but I'm sure that they will as the toddlers get older and get more confident with speech. Basically from a wellbeing point of view I know I'll be happier in Mulbarton, but from an education point of view it looks like Wymondham is better. I never thought I would be worrying about schools as much as I do, I guess this is the norm!

threetimesabridesmaid Thu 17-Feb-11 21:00:48

Norfolkbumpkin - sorry to hear you live in such a place! (is it the HF estate?) Have you thought about moving into one of the villages that does feed into WHS - Talconeston/Ashwellthorpe - close to Mulbarton. And we never really had an 'unsettled period' - just what Ofsted were told after we had one term with an acting headteacher.

Fimbo Thu 17-Feb-11 22:54:47

Ooh Norfolkbumpkin how old are your dc, my friend moved from here to Wymondham about 3 years ago. She is Scottish like me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now