Local Talk

Wymondham schools

(53 Posts)
takethatlady Wed 16-Feb-11 10:28:34

This is a totally bonkers question as I am only 21+3 with my first baby, but DH and I are seriously thinking about moving to Attleborough from Cambridge and, because of our mortgage situation, this will be a very long-term move - at least 10 years, I'd say, and probably longer in the same house. So we're trying to consider all the long-term implications of so the move, and secondary schools is one of them! (Okay, okay, I'm mad).

My question is, I know that Wymondham College is absolutely brilliant and that it's halfway between Attleborough and Wymondham. Its criteria are apparently musical/sporting ability (well, we can try), brothers/sisters already in the school, and proximity of your home to the school. So, let's just say the baby turns out to be a straight A-grade concert pianist (ha ha!) - do children from Attleborough get to go to the schools in Wymondham or do they just automatically go to Attleborough High?

Obviously this is doubly nuts, since the baby (a little girl ) may equally well be an illiterate urchin without a musical or sporting bone in her body grin - but I'm just thinking through all the variables

I've heard that Wymondham High is pretty good too, so the same question applies - where do the catchment areas lie?

Any replies greatly appreciated!

Pashley Tue 30-Oct-12 19:39:06

Wymondham college is still a state school. Therefore to apply for a day space for yr 7, you apply to the county council. The criteria is the same as any other state school, looked after children, those with a statement, siblings and then it goes on vicinity to the college. Hope that helps

Josie2000 Thu 08-Nov-12 20:45:57

Can I ask where you are looking to move now lljkk? We were also looking at Wymondham but have been told that it will expand massively in the next couple of years and I am not a big fan of estates at all. What you have been told about schools sounds horrendous and best to stay away from that area I think. How about some of the villages directly south of Norwich, I have heard that Stoke Holy Cross, Poringland, Brooke etc. are all very nice, with good schools and accessible. Has anybody got any more info on that particular area?

withaspongeandarustyspanner Mon 17-Jun-13 19:00:22

I realise that this is an old thread that keeps being resurrected, but I'm wondering if there is any logic to Wymondham College Admissions? My DCs are in on of the feeder schools, but I was talking to a mum recently and her DC was the only one out of his year who applied who didn't get in to Wym College, because of where they lived. So do you really have to live in Morley to get your DCs in? I do know some people who live down my road whose DCs go, but I don't know if there's a hope in hell. I'd prefer my DCs not to go to Wym High - I've been hearing awful things about it recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now