Local Talk

Hethersett or Wymondham?

(8 Posts)
Lovethesea Tue 15-Mar-11 16:50:12

Hi all,

As of last week we are now living in Norwich - myself, DH, DD (2.4) and DS (9 months). Currently staying with family in the south of the city, but planning to buy as soon as our Glasgow house sells.

Neither of us have lived here before so I am looking to glean any local knowledge to help us find a home.

Hethersett and Wymondham have been recommended as nice areas, good schools and easy enough to get into Norwich.

I don't think the Golden Triangle is for us as we don't go out enough to get the benefits of being so near the centre, only the downsides of expensive housing and parking issues!

Our money has us looking at properties between 180,000-200,000 (depending on what we sell for!).

So - pros and cons?

Hethersett seems a nice large village, but are there areas to avoid or hidden issues? Is it just that things don't come on the market much?

Wymondham seems to have more housing in our price range, but the new developments seem a huge increase in the town's numbers - is it NIMBY panic or really unwise? I've also read threads here on how unfriendly some have found it, unlucky experience or does it tend to be cliquey?

Are there certain areas where my excitement at finding a decent 3 bedroom house should be tempered with caution because of the road it's on?

Anything about the schools that would be relevant to someone living in the main catchments?

Anywhere else we should look? DH is working 20 minutes out west on the A47, grandparents live off Newmarket road so Hethersett/Wymondham seem the best solutions, but I am open to villages or anything if schools are decent. I am hoping to get a PT job soon so being reasonably near gparents still might be important for occasional help with childcare.

Help! This will only be our second house buy and we had a narrow escape last time nearly buying in a dodgy street so I am keen to avoid that again.

[Cue nervous excitement...]

MegBusset Tue 15-Mar-11 16:57:02

Fimbo is the poster you need, she's full of info on that area and will hopefully be along soon

Welcome to Norwich btw - we moved in Dec from London and no regrets so far!

Lovethesea Tue 15-Mar-11 17:08:33

Thanks smile Realised after posting how long that post was! Apologies, it's all been on my mind for so long it's great to finally be here and able to make choices!

ponjii Fri 18-Mar-11 20:03:03

Wicklewood is a nice village, close to Wymondham and very good school...

threetimesabridesmaid Sun 20-Mar-11 17:05:12

Hi Lovethesea

I teach in Wymondham & am moving to Hethersett from Norwich next weekend. Both are nice areas, great for families & v.close to Norwich. Have you seen the Wymondham schools thread?

I have a 9 mth DD, so will be scouting out all the baby groups/activities soon - PM me if you end up in the area.

Lovethesea Tue 22-Mar-11 14:03:25

Right, Wicklewood on the list too. I have read the schools thread - hence my queries on whether there are certain areas to avoid in Wymondham or Hethersett! Sounded like a variety of experiences, good and bad.

threetimesabridesmaid - good to know there'll be another new face stalking all the groups, I will pm you when we start exploring the groups, thanks grin

jo87jo Thu 07-Apr-11 13:51:44

Mulbarton is lovely!

pandy123 Mon 11-Jun-12 21:24:51

as this a while ago, how did you get on???
we are prob moving up from london, as hubby new job in norwich.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now