Local Talk

Moving to nottingham

(14 Posts)
enfru Mon 14-Mar-11 13:18:18

Hi, I'm new to netmums and will be new to
Nottingham by the summer as my family are moving from London. I was hoping someone would be willing and able to give me some advice on the areas we should be looking at moving to.
I have a 3 year old son who is due to start school in September 2012 so we need to make sure the area we're in is close to good nurseries and schools. The problem we're having is that we have no idea where any if those are! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jackstini Mon 14-Mar-11 13:23:53

Depends if you want north or south notts and if there is anywhere you need to commute to. Want to be on bus or tram routes? Approx house budget/size needed?
There is a huge range of areas, may be easier for localsa to say where to avoid if possible although I don't want to upset anyone...
I am near Linby/Papplewick and would recommend for nurseries/schools and easy access to Nottingham & M1 if needed. (I have a 4 yo daughter & 2 yo son)
Feel free to ask any specific questions! smile

TorcherQueenie Mon 14-Mar-11 13:25:41

Wollaton would be good its a nice area with decent housing and schools otherwise Edna G. Olds primary in Lenton is very good. Lenton is mostly student property though as its so close to the Uni. Middleton Primary and Nursery School in Wollaton got some brilliant results from their last ofsted and the amount of GCSE passes is on average 90% or higher.

Mapperly is also a good area with very good non-religious schools if you're religious all of the catholic schools are amazing.

Stay away from the estates they're not so great I live in Bulwell and although I like my DD's school its not very good at challenging the kids and I look forward to her moving into Bulwell Academy at 11.

MrsKarteDor Mon 14-Mar-11 13:32:08

Hi enfru welcome to mumsnet wink

Depends on your budget, income, needs and expectations. Can you give more detail.

Happy to help if I can

enfru Mon 14-Mar-11 14:22:31

I've just noticed my phone flipped mumsnet to netmums, sorry about that!
I'll be working just off of Market square so proximity to bus or tram routes is a necessity. Budget wise I think we're going to rent forca year and can afford about 700 a month need 2 beds but would prefer 3
We don't really have a preference over north or south notts we've got friends in beeston and in west bridgford but our main concern is to be in a good area with good schools. My brains scrambled by the number of websites/ofsted reports I've read so thought I'd get some first hand advice- thanks for your replies so far

MrsKarteDor Mon 14-Mar-11 15:02:24

For suburbia I agree Mapperley and Wollaton jolly lovely, some parts of Carlton, Gedling and Sherwood. West Bridgford is super yummy mummy with an big park and ace charity shops (It's in the Conservative Borough of Rushcliffe not Nottingham City)

Am thinking your budget pretty reasonable for renting a 3 bed so lots of choice.

Easy to get into town centre from anywhere really. I live in the inner city in an offically deprived area. However I love it - multicultural, vibrant, great local community, our own festival and the best little local in Notts grin What age are your children? Our catchment is for the Nottingham Academy which is doing pretty well in all those Ofwhatsits.

Looby1234 Wed 15-Jun-11 20:19:13

hiya... we're iin Silverdale, which is couple of miles from both Beeston and West Bridgford....and easy peasy to get from Market Square - theres about 25 buses per hour! you can rent a 3 bed here for under £700 and council tax is city council so one of the cheapest in notts.. and the local schools (South Wilford/James Peacock/Glapton) all have great reports....a lot depends on how long you'd look at staying in the area for and further down the line, comprehensive schools... ruddington would be another good match - pretty similar to Silverdale except under rushcliffe council so slightly higher council tax, their main primary school is James Peacock (absolutely cracking school by all accounts!), and the catchment area comp is Rushcliffe (again a highly sought after school)!

Niqita Wed 11-Jan-12 20:31:42

Hi,
I'm looking for mother advice, please. We're moving as a family (husb + 13 year old daughter+me+large dog) to Nottingham for work. Really concerned to find my daughter a nice school. Ideally, I'd find her somewhere that would encourage rather than push her - sure she'll get GCSEs etc but don't want her stressed and worried, I'd rather she thrived. I've read Ofsted reports from here to Alfreton but who knows?
Please can anyone suggest a safe, nice, sweet school for her to transfer to? We'll look for the house after we've found the school!
Thanks

Adversecamber Thu 12-Jan-12 09:11:15

I know George Spencer has a good reputation and it is not that far from Beeston, where your friends are. I'm pretty sure you have to be in the catchment to stand a chance of getting in. Beeston itself is nice. I agree that Lenton should be avoided , shame as close to city centre but it is awash with students and that brings lots of burglars to that area and noise issues. West Bridgeford has a reputation as having the best schools and hence some of the most expensive housing in the area.

I did have a chuckle when I read your initial post and the mention of Netmums.

Nottingham is like a big town and very different to London, if your selling up there then you will be thrilled at house prices here as you get a lot more bang for your buck.

40notTrendy Thu 12-Jan-12 09:20:10

Woodthorpe, Mapperley, Sherwood all good. Nice housing, good schools not too expensive and a doddle to get into town. I'm a North Nottm girl, but know that Wollaton is good, Beeston too. West Bridgford lovely but housing more pricey.

Blondilox Fri 13-Jan-12 02:05:54

I live in Stapleford on the border with Bramcote and I love it. It's close to the M1 A610 and A52 so there are great links N, S, E & W. There are frequent buses to the city and soon there will also be a tram link. It's very close to Beeston and the tram route will go through there and the University on its way into Nottingham. The George Spencer School, which is excellent, is in Stapleford and crime seems to be low (I've lived here 17 years and have never been a victim). The central areas of Stapleford are not so nice and look a bit tatty (hopefully that will change with the arrival of the tram - investment is already picking up) but the outskirts offer so much value for money. There's also a leisure centre, a large health centre, a library, etc. In addition, there are several parks and we're just a minute or two's walk away from open country walks.

We're in Bingham, Rushcliffe, NG13 about 15 mins out of Nottingham, through West Bridgford (iyswim)

It's great and I'd totally reccommend it. The 2 primary schools have great ratings, and so does the secondary.
Canarvon Primary
Robert Miles Infants (seperate Juniors)
Toot Hill Secondary

It's a large village with a small group of shops (with Sainsburys local, coop, Boots etc), church, post office etc. Lots of children, playgroups and activities on.
3 bed £160000 ish + (£625/m)
Nice 3 bed to rent

2 different bus companies each running every 15mins into Notts (inc market sq)
Very close to A46, and other main routes.

HTH =)

BinghamMum Sat 17-Mar-12 20:10:52

I cant rate Bingham highly enough! We researched all schools/areas/crime rates in Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire and Bingham came out top. Love love love it here

baffledmum Thu 29-Mar-12 21:47:17

before deciding where to live, I suggest you take a look at thisisnottingham on the web. In the City the council are moving to a 5-term school year and in the shire, parents are currently going through a consultation about fixing the Easter holidays to, I think, the first 2 weeks of April, regardless of when Easter actually falls. It is going to be known as a Spring Break, I believe. Look at the councils' websites too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now