Local Talk

Primary schools in Long Eaton...advice

(8 Posts)
semsec Sun 26-Jun-11 15:26:29

new to area and DD will start primary school in Sept 2012, a long way off I know, but we have spoken to a couple of people we know and appear to have got very negative opinions of St Laurence Primary, DD goes to ST Laurence pre school and they are all very nice and the children who go there before and after school who go to the primary school all look very happy, we are also looking at Dovedale and English Martyrs. Does anyone else know anything about these schools, I have Ofsted reports but know from experience that Ofsted reports are not always what they appear to be.

Gemma2009 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:52:27

I have a couple of friends who have children at English Martyrs and they are very happy with the school, I undersatnd they have a very good Ofsted. Equally Dovedale apparently also has a lovely feel to it.

Catmint Tue 12-Jul-11 22:01:29

I've not heard a bad word about any of the schools you mention, apart from high amount of homework at Dovedale.

Our DD is starting at Brooklands which seems inexplicably unpopular. I felt it seemed really good (improving fast from a weak point several years ago). Grange seems v popular, but when I visited there were posters everywhere asking for money for things, and the building was depressing.

I hear Parklands is excellent.

Petesmum Sun 17-Jul-11 09:34:56

My DS is at Grange Primary and I think it's great. Good OFSED results, dedicated teaching staff that arrange a lot of extra ciricular activity and they run "university classes" each term so the children can learn topics that aren't on the national ciriculum eg salsa, gardening, dodge ball, zoology.
I don't know much about Dovedale but I've heard good things from friends with children at English Martyrs though it is very religious

AbbyLou Sat 03-Sep-11 19:06:44

English martyrs is very religious but a good school if you can stand it.
Grange is also very good and has a lot of extra-curricular activities.
My ds is at Parklands and dd starts on Tuesday. it is a fantastic school. The HT is welcoming and it's an incredibly caring and friendly school. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the children make excellent academic and social progress. I can't recomment it highly enough. However, if you are not in the catchment area it is very difficult to get a place.
I have heard not very good reports of St Laurence, Brooklands or Dovedale I'm afraid.

desperatetosell Wed 19-Oct-11 13:37:38

hello!

i thought I would say Hi as I am moving to Long Eaton next month. I think DS1 will be going to Dovedale as it is the nearest school (although not catchment). We will be living on Pennyfields estate hopefully. All our catchment schools seem much further away than Dovedale - can't work it out!

Will be friendless when I get there so would be good to arrange a Long Eaton meet up if anyone is up for it?

AbbyLou Wed 19-Oct-11 21:49:20

desperate I have replied to your pm.

jessimaycat Fri 20-Apr-12 20:32:20

Moving into are august 12 would llike to meet other mums as will know nobody have a 5yr old and 10yr old girl. Also advice on brooklands primary both girls been offered places there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now