Local Talk

I'm moving to Beeston

(13 Posts)
Suziegreen Tue 26-Jun-12 14:11:05

- would love your help- i'm leaving London in 5 weeks to reloacte to beeston- and i'm terrified! still got to find somewhere to live and rent in so tips needed. Budget is 600 pcm. (FAMILY LIVE NEAR IKEA AND WOLLATON)

Have such a great network here- drop in play sessions everyday and singing classes etc- but we have to move for family raesons.

Can you tell me - are there any drop in play and singing sessions in beeston, in cafe's , church halls etc? soft play areas in around the area? anywhere is nottingham- can't seem to find any online.. my little boy is 3 and needs to get out and about.

Also gyms- i like aerobics and step ad gutted to be leaving my handy gym behind!

Tips really needed!!

Suzie x

Quicksie Tue 26-Jun-12 22:00:57

Hi Suzie,
Just wanted to reply, haven't got all the answers you need though! I live in Nottingham, closer to Ikea than Beeston...We are in Woodthorpe/Mapperley, north of the city centre. It is really nice and has some very good schools. A house next door to us is rented for around your budget, 1930s semi, 3 bedrooms, big garden. our local park runs 'pushy mums' clubs and most areas of Nottingham will have something going on, might be easier to find out about when you are actually in situ.

Anyway,There are some brilliant gyms in West Bridgford, and that is a very nice area - there will probably be tonnes of child friendly businesses there as it is a very middle class family area! My boss lives there.

I lived in Beeston for 3 years when I was at uni and loved it - the rents are quite cheap, but many of the streets are overrun by Nottingham Uni students! Same with Lenton and Dunkirk. Some areas of Nottingham have a reputation for being rough, eg Sneinton, but some of those reps go back to the 70s and aren't deserved nowadays! If you would like more info, I have lived in most areas of Nottingham over the last 20 years and would be happy to help...send me a message!

butterflybuns Tue 03-Jul-12 20:20:45

Hi, Beeston is great, have lived here for years. Like everywhere there are good and bad bits, I'd avoid Lenton Abbey personally but the rest is fine. The 2 main primary schools John Clifford and Roundhill are both good schools- the best in the area is actually in Chilwell called Meadow Lane.
There is a small pedestrianised shopping area with high street and independent shops, plenty of good parks, close to the river Trent and a nature reserve which is great. There is plenty of public transport including the train and there is a new tram coming soon. Hmmm what else, there's a library, churches, cafes, pubs, restaurants and a Tescos. Also there are craft markets and a yearly carnival.
So theres a soft play centre, every day there are toddler groups of some description in different locations, Jo Jingles runs on a Wednesday, the library runs music and singing classes too and down the road at the tennis centre they do tennis lessons and gymnastics classes for kids. At the tennis centre there is also a gym with equipment and classes, also lots of evening exercise classes are run in Beeston too.

Beeston is a real community and everyone I know who lives here love it- who needs West Bridgford! wink

Quicksie Wed 04-Jul-12 20:38:50

butterflybuns apologies for my ignorance...I seem to have unwittingly dissed Beeston in favour of West Bridgford, it wasn't intended! It is a long time since I lived in Beeston and it was as a student, I liked living there though!

butterflybuns Thu 05-Jul-12 22:24:51

Quicksie- never took any offence at all, people tend to think that West Bridgford is the only decent place in Notts, clearly not true as we both live in lovely placessmile

40notTrendy Thu 05-Jul-12 22:28:05

Also in Woodthorpe, <waves to Quicksie>.
Don't know Beeston end well but Nottm a great city. Loads of soft play, great parks. Highfield Park at the University has a great playground and lake, plus the theatre has some good productions for kids too. Welcome!

Quicksie Sat 07-Jul-12 11:53:21

Butterfly too right - I think I have been brainwashed by my boss! I lived in WB for a little while and it is the only place in Nottingham where I have experienced car crime! Coincidence probably, but had no bother in Sneinton, Beeston, Dunkirk and now Woodthorpe (fingers crossed!)

It might have been due to my ridiculously break-in able 1970s VW though!

40 - nice one! I love Woodthorpe. The park is brilliant isn't it. And the cheesecake shop at the top of the road...amazing!

I teach in Nottingham so I do know there are lots of places to take children for a fun day out. You don't have to travel far to be in the forest - Blidworth Woods, Clumber Park and Sherwood Pines are great. Bestwood Park is also lovely.

40notTrendy Sat 07-Jul-12 20:56:31

Quicksie grin
Park great but why do they shut that cafe at 4pm on a Sunday?! We don't just share a neighbourhood either wink
Also enjoy the big parks up the A60/A614 We had a season ticket for Newstead before ds started school. Rufford and Sherwood Pines also a regular haunt.
Nottingham good. smile

butterflybuns Sat 07-Jul-12 21:05:18

Hmmm cheesecake shop...... Reason enough to move to Notts!

40notTrendy Sun 08-Jul-12 17:41:15

It certainly is butterfly grin

bezabeza Wed 15-Aug-12 23:13:53

Hey Suzie...looking forward to reading all your replies as I too am moving to Nottingham in 2 weeks from Reading. We were interested in moving to Beeston/Wollaton but have ended up finding somewhere to rent in Long Eaton as the kids will be going to school/nursery close by in Toton. I have a 3 (nearly 4) year old boy and a 6 year old.

My youngest doesn't start nursery until the end of the month, and even then he is only there mornings, so give me a shout if you fancy meeting some time in the park with the boys and we can swap Nottingham Newbie notes!

Janice
xx

bezabeza Wed 15-Aug-12 23:22:30

ps I asked my boys where their favourite park is...expecting them to talk about some of the local parks in Reading that we will be leaving behind...and they said the park near the university in Nottingham because you can play on tiny diggers!! They are totally happy to be upping sticks and moving to Notts on account of a)the park with the diggers b) the Robin Hood festival that we went to last year and was brilllliant! .... it took place in Autumn half term but there is also some Robin Hood stuff going on this weekend I gather...

PervyMuskrat Sat 18-Aug-12 23:40:31

Yes, there was lots of Robin Hood stuff going on this weekend, and yes, Beeston is a brilliant place to live, inlcuding the diggers grin

Happy to give people a tour of the area if you're prepared to wait for a couple of weeks and don't mind the occasional repeated swearing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now