Local Talk

West Bridgford or Sherwood

(8 Posts)
ZaraW Sat 16-Mar-13 16:06:28

Hi hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Th is my first post on this branch and hope some locals will be able to help. I recently got divorced and looking to move to the Nottingham area.

One of the areas I am interested in is West Bridgford however one of my main concern is that the properties I am looking at are located on flood plains but have flood defences in place. Does WB flood on a regular basis or do the defences do a good job. Also is building insurance with flood coverage expensive/difficult to get.

I viewed some properties last week in Sherwood with my son who is away studying at university. He prefers Sherwood as it's more urban. Also, I can get a lot more for my money and can cycle into the city quite easily.

If anybody knows both areas any input would be great. WB seems lovely but should I be concerned with flooding?
TIA

Zara

SybildeChocolate Sat 23-Mar-13 20:45:04

Hi smile They have very different price ranges. West Bridgeford is lovely but is expensive. I live in Stapleford so don't know too much about insurance. It's easy to get to the University from this side of the city though and the houses are very, very cheap.

wobblebear Sat 23-Mar-13 20:56:37

my SIL lives in WB. she has allotments at the end of her garden and I think they have flooded but AFAIK her house never has and she has been there about 20 years.

ZaraW Sun 24-Mar-13 05:49:42

Sybilde Chocolate thanks as lovely as WB is I can get so much more for my money in Sherwood. Will be back I'm Nottingham next month to view houses in beeston

wobblebear thanks for the info WB is still a maybe but I have found out the house I like has flooded in the past Beeston is next on my list to view have been told it's a good area

SybildeChocolate Sun 24-Mar-13 06:14:15

Beeston is good smile They are currently building the tram lines there so it should be easier to access the University and the City. I'm arranging meet ups, you're welcome to join us for cake when you're all sorted. smile

ZaraW Mon 25-Mar-13 04:32:54

Great thanks, always good to have a recommendation. We are looking at property around Mona Street and Dennison Street. Also seem to get a lot for your money compared to West Bridgford.

That's lovely thank you!

SybildeChocolate Mon 25-Mar-13 10:46:22

smile Best of luck.

MeetMeByTheLions Tue 26-Mar-13 13:31:23

Beeston is a good place to live - don't be put off by the total chaos currently being caused by the tram works! It'll all be over in a year or so. Denison St nicer area than Mona St. Price usually reflects that. IMO the only reason to live in WB is to get better secondary schools, since you are past that stage the city is your oyster!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now