Local Talk

Moving to Nottingham with 3 yo ... advice?

(12 Posts)
piratesmama Mon 24-Jun-13 18:19:55

Hi all
I'm moving to Nottingham this summer with my 3 year-old son. I would really appreciate advice on the best areas for nurseries and primary schools as I have absolutely no idea where is best!
My husband will be working at Nottingham-Trent Uni, and I would ideally like to be close to the city centre, although we will go wherever the best nurseries/schools are.
Thanks, any and all suggestions are more than welcome!

MiaowTheCat Tue 25-Jun-13 13:37:41

What site for Trent? I'm assuming the city centre one but just double checking it's not the Clifton one cos that would affect your choices a bit (OK that would affect MY choice since I do anything possible to avoid that traffic system around by QMC but I'm a driving wimp!)

piratesmama Thu 11-Jul-13 15:46:19

My husband will be working in the city centre site. We are trying to arrange some viewings beforehand but it is hard to know if the areas being proposed by the estate agents are safe for children and have decent nurseries/schools. Like everywhere else, there are good spots and bad spots, even within areas ... but there is no way we can know which these are sad

MiaowTheCat Fri 12-Jul-13 09:24:41

School-wise remember to look at both the Nottingham AND Nottinghamshire league tables - which I quite frequently forget to do (I used to supply teach so I keep a nosey eye on the results of the schools I used to work at frequently and I've caught myself wondering where X school is a few times and realising I'm looking at the wrong LEA).

You're possibly better off posting the kind of areas you're being pointed toward on here and people can give you comments on it - or everyone's going to reel off a list of areas near their bit of town and forget the rest of the city!

For what it's worth off the top of my head (and I'm not a native - lived here a few years now and only over this side of the city) - the "usual suspect" no-no bits are the likes of Meadows and St Anns (however I've done a lot of supply at one of the schools on the Meadows and it was lovely - the usual story of good and bad and reputations applies). Beeston = studentville. I'm in Stapleford which is decent enough for my liking - near the M1 (which means my entire family use us as a cheap motorway service station - grrr) and on the A52 route into the city and getting the trams extended to us soon - but in that pain in the backside band which is just out of the range of all the cheaper public transport fares (seriously don't get me started on this pet rant of mine).

louhan Fri 12-Jul-13 09:48:10

bingham and radcliffe both have brilliant scholls and takes 20 mins on the bus if its the city center campus and the same by car to the clifton campus brilliant for kids too got nice little shops without the hussle and bussle of town.

i have a 3 year old daughter if you would like to make a new friend in notts just message me

louhan Fri 12-Jul-13 11:37:18

while cleaning my bathroom thought of a couple of more areas wilford,ruddington and wes tbridgeford all great places great for young familys

kaybelle10 Fri 09-Aug-13 15:33:10

Hey if you would like to make a new friend in nottingham i have a almost 3 year old and a 8 month old. I recommend bulwell for an area, there are great schools around and they are building new houses on highbury vale if they are any interest. xxx

Gorgie88 Tue 31-Dec-13 19:23:21

Hello everybody!

I'm new to Mumsnet, and I am very much hoping for a bit of
advice/information/help from you lovely people!

My husband and I and our 2 boys (aged 5 and 3)
will (fingers crossed!) be relocating to Nottingham (probably to Bingham) from South London by the end of 2014.

Although my husband was brought up in Nottingham, and we make
frequent trips there to visit his family, I
feel a bit anxious (petrified actually!) about settling in to a completely new area where we don't really know anyone..!

Is anyone out there from Bingham (or nearby)? I would LOVE some advice/info about primary and secondary schools/play groups/places and ways to meet other mums! We're very much looking forward to the move as we love the area
and people are so friendly and kind.

Thank you SO much in advance!

ng14 Thu 02-Jan-14 03:49:42

Hi Georgie,

I don't live in Bingham (about 20m away) so can't help that much with groups/schools I'm afraid but we visit a lot as PIL live there,seems a lovely area and there's lots of families around, I'm sure you'll love it.

Lots of day out places nearby, wheelgate, white post farm, Sherwood Forest etc all good with those ages.

Good luck with the move!

LocalEditorNottingham Fri 07-Feb-14 09:58:06

Hello Gorgie88,

Sorry you haven't had a huge respone here, we local eds are working hard to make the local sites a bit more useful and busy, so I hope you'll see some changes - and more people chatting - soon.

The Nottingham site covers the city itself. It might worth asking about Bingham on the Nottinghamshire site.

Best wishes for your move!
Charlotte

Happypeeps11 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:48:36

hello Gorgie,secondary very good in bingham, lovely nursery in cropwell butler and school playschool attatched to cropwell bishop school. dont know much abut primary in bingham though.

Happypeeps11 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:50:04

have you looked at west bridgford?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now