Local Talk

Can you recommend any good secondary schools?

(8 Posts)
ReturnoftheExpat Mon 05-May-14 19:01:43

Hi, we are currently living overseas, but will be returning to the UK next summer. For various reasons we have decided to move to Nottingham, and have 3 children (currently) aged (almost)11, 9 and 3. We aren't too sure of which area we'll end up in exactly, but are looking at Mapperley/Sherwood/Wollaton. It seems that there are a lot of lovely primary schools with good OFSTED results around, but not so for secondary schools. Can anyone recommend any? I know that OFSTED results aren't the be all and end all, but that is all we currently have to go on, and it is unlikely that we'll return in time to visit the schools. So, any advice or recommendations for Secondary schools, in particular, would be gratefully received. If you also happen to be able to recommend any neighbourhoods or primary schools too, even better!

Thanks in advance!

LocalEditorNottingham Sun 11-May-14 21:17:40

Hello there,

Sorry you haven't had much response yet, I've tweeted your question, so fingers crossed for some responses.

I don't know very much about schools in those areas. I do know that the two secondaries (and all primaries) in West Bridgford are good. Also, the catholic secondaries seem good and have a wide catchment of course, if relevant.

Good luck choosing and with your move!

aquarius6000 Thu 15-May-14 15:44:24

Trent College and its junior school The Elms, are both very highly spoken of. They are in Long Eaton, they are independent schools, if that is something you would consider.

DakotaFanny Sun 25-May-14 13:11:04

Fernwood Comp in Wollaton is top three city schools if you're looking for a regular state school. It's very good.

DakotaFanny Sun 25-May-14 13:12:19

(Both main primaries in Wollaton also EXCELLENT. Fernwood and Middleton- though both massively over-subscribed I believe.)

tootssweet Fri 30-May-14 12:18:01

Op there is a new free school opening in Sherwood for many of the reasons you have stated. Otherwise a lot of parents in that area also send their dc's to county secondary schools. Redhill in Arnold is outstanding. Carlton le Willows is also meant to be good. Arnold Hill is good & improving but has just had a high % of their staff leave in the last 12 months. Pm me if you like

Wrappler Sat 28-Jun-14 10:41:04

Hi there - I live just off of Sherwood rise - my children went to Haydn - such a fab primary can't speak highly enough of it - and Carrington - another great little school with only one class per year. My daughter moved on from Haydn to Bluecoats which she is thoroughly enjoying. They have enrichment on a thurs afternoon which basically means no school and fun activities like horse riding or sports/crafts/filmmaking etc they get to choose from a huge variety of activities. They are off to Germany for a week soon as well. Great school and my other daughter will definitely be going there too. There are two camouses - one off Aspley Lane and one in Wollerton - my child goes to the Wollerton campus but both are very good. Brand new buildings and great facilities.

MrsBungle Tue 29-Jul-14 22:45:42

Fernwood in wollaton is good.

Carlton le willows in gedling - also good.

West Bridgford academy and rushcliffe academy in west bridgford

Toothill in Bingham

The minster in Southwell.

My job requires me to know which schools in Nottinghamshire are good (but not really city). Feel free to pm me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now