Living in the Arboretum

(9 Posts)
Nonicknamesleft Fri 17-Jun-16 09:48:13

Morning lovely Nottingham people.

Looking for up to date advice about the Arboretum as a possible place to live. Living elsewhere in Nottingham at the moment but can't buy there. I know the Forest Fields/Mapperley Park fringes are associated with the red light business. Does anyone know how far into the Arboretum it extends, and generally, how the area is affected?

We have three daughters so obviously don't want to buy in an area that's going to be a nightmare for girls growing up in. Can't afford Mapperley Park central. Some mumsnet collective wisdom is called for!

WiggleGinger Fri 17-Jun-16 12:15:11

In all honesty they are all so close Id say you either go with it, or avoid.
As an ex NTU student many of my friends lived up there and it was fine for them but as a parent I wouldn't want to raise children. In that area.

Houseofmaidens Fri 17-Jun-16 23:17:35

Lived there. Don't do it. It's beautiful round there but very unpleasant underbelly

5gocamping Fri 17-Jun-16 23:57:53

What about Sherwood? Not too far away from centre, good bus route and decent schools. Good vibe too.

defineme Sat 18-Jun-16 07:20:12

Are there schools you need to be near? What's your budget and space requirements?

kat2016 Mon 29-Aug-16 09:12:39

Sherwood or Mapperley are great places to bring up kids in Nottingham. Good schools and great community spirit. I'd definitely avoid the Arboretum if you can, the houses look beautiful, but there's lots of crime associated with drugs etc round there & it doesn't feel very safe. Good luck!

SarahLawrence73 Mon 05-Sep-16 13:01:59

Hi All, to make you aware for any parent thinking about moving to Nottingham be warned that you may not be able to get school places. We are a group looking to change admission criteria. Please sign our petition and help all Nottingham families
www.change.org/p/nottinghamshire-county-council-reinstating-fairness-for-families-with-siblings-attending-nottinghamshire-primary-schools

user1471134011 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:50:08

Sarah it looks like your petition is for Nottinghamshire (county) not Nottingham city?

SarahLawrence73 Mon 05-Sep-16 19:04:25

user1471134011 Yes you are correct it is for Nottingham County, however some parents live in City and their children's schools are in County. There is a natural cross over at the borders. It would also be nice if the folk in City could support this petition as it does affect you and we don't want City to adopt this change as well, as it will mean that out of catchment siblings won't be able to go to the same schools as their brothers and sisters. Seems like City has seen sense so far and have not done this. Only 5 other councils in the UK have done it and all except Nottingham have chosen a phased in approach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now