Possible move to Nottingham- please help!

(9 Posts)
LizzyC84 Fri 05-Aug-16 13:58:16

We currently live in greater London but following the birth of our baby girl (6 weeks old) we are considering relocating. DP has the option of transferring his job to Nottingham. Financially this would make a lot of sense as we could swap our little 2 bedroom flat for a good size family home! The trouble is I have never even visited Nottingham and I don't know anyone who lives there! I am very nervous about moving somewhere completely new! Is Nottingham a good place to raise a family? Any recommendations of areas? I am in two minds whether we would look at moving to Nottingham itself or to a nice village within commutable distance (particularly towards Derbyshire which is closer to family). Any advice/ reassurance would be much appreciated! smile

MrsBungle Fri 05-Aug-16 16:48:51

I moved to Nottingham 12 years ago from Scotland and have since got married and had 2 children. I really like it here. Like any city, there are nicer and not so nice parts. I live in a village to the south. Although it is maybe the wrong side for you, Bingham has just been voted one of the best places to live in England - although I am not sure by whom! All the surrounding villages are lovely with good schools. When I first moved here, I lived in west Bridgford which is nice but more of a town/suburb but also has good schools. I'm not too sure about the Derbyshire side but I think sandiacre and toton are supposed to be nice whereas places like heanor I am not keen on. Good luck with your move!

Ratbagcatbag Fri 05-Aug-16 20:50:28

Like everywhere it depends on what you want. Hucknall has some lovely areas to it, great tram links and the right side for jaunts into Derbyshire too. Kimberley and watnall are nice and a bit further out too.

icklekid Sat 06-Aug-16 08:17:02

Nottingham is great for families. I live in west bridgford but others love living in Wollaton and Sherwood very happily. As far as villages go I only really know those south Nottingham so not Derby way.

Silenenutans Sat 06-Aug-16 10:01:45

I must admit I always come back from visiting people in the SE feeling very grateful for our quality of life / cost of life ratio here. Of course there aren't many of the extremely well-paying jobs that are available in London but, if your DH can transfer in the same job, that sounds ideal.

Nottingham is a lovely place to raise a family. There are some really nice bits and some not very nice bits and some inbetween bits that look very scruffy. Things I think are great are that the town centre is big enough to offer everything you might want in a regional city - theatres, cinemas, galleries, restaurants, shops - while being compact and easy to get around, on foot and with excellent public transport.

Also, it's easy to get to lovely green spaces. Within the suburbs there's Wollaton Park, Attenborough, Colwick Park, Rushcliffe Country Park etc. You can get to pretty villages and countryside in the Wolds to the south, east to Bingham and Southwell and some parts north (stark mixture of pretty agricultural and not-so-pretty ex-mining villages). Then, within 45 mins you can be in the Peak District. The towns to the west are not so lovely but there will be some nice villages (not so familiar with this area).

Obvious areas are West Bridgford, Wollaton, Sherwood, Mapperley, Beeston - Bramcote - Chilwell.

Rushcliffe (West Bridgford and rural south) always comes out extremely well in national 'lovely places to live' ratings. WB is it's own small town and very convenient to the centre of Nottingham too. Not so cheap but probably compares well to London!

pinkmagic1 Sat 06-Aug-16 12:10:18

I think many of the villages towards the Derbyshire side can be a bit grim tbh. As others have said West Bridgford is good for families but expensive. Parts of Gedling and Carlton are good, much cheaper and very convenient for the centre. Burton Joyce and Lambley are also nice villages but with easy access to the centre, also Radcliffe on Trent and Bingham.

LizzyC84 Sun 07-Aug-16 15:13:48

Thank you for all your replies. I think we will visit in the next couple of weeks and look at some of the areas you have mentioned.

ng14 Sun 07-Aug-16 16:25:13

I'd second villages to the east, some lovely villagey areas that are still only 20-45 mins drive from the city centre.

WiggleGinger Sun 07-Aug-16 20:01:03

I'd be inclined to move closer to your family in honesty.
Where are your family located? That could help with suggestions.
I grew up in Derbyshire
Went to uni & lived in Nottm
Now live in the Derbyeics border. So am well placed to offer tips.
I agree that RUSHCLIFFE as a borough is highly thought of and has fab amenities. It would be a brilliant place to meet friends as there is a fab social scene for new mums.

Where in Nottingham would your husband be based?
City centre? Or further out, as that will influence your decision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now