Local Talk

Looking for a nice and safe place to live in Oxford .

(10 Posts)
Julietao Sun 03-Jun-12 03:55:34

Hi I am Looking for a safe and nice place to live in Oxford close to Cowley. I have a one year old boy. I want a place with a nursery school, parks and a shopping area nearby. Thank you for your help.

twinklytoes Sun 03-Jun-12 08:48:41

most areas are nice and safe, though historical reputation sometimes gets in the way so I would suggest you probably don't want to be looking at Blackbird Leys, rose hill or Barton. But all these areas have childrens centres and are a great resource for young families smile

do you want to be walking distance from shops and parks??

Cowley has the biggest shopping centre - Templer Square outside of the city centre so being close by means you won't actually need to use the city for shopping unless you want Marks and Spencer or debenhams.

If you stay within the ring road then there are some nice estates on and around Holloway or nearer to Headington around South Park or the otherside of Cowley retail park near Florence Park.

I think your biggest problem will be students .... there is a lot of let properties and it can be difficult to find something to rent because all the students are wanting these too. similarly to buy...there's competition with the buy to let market too.

if you are happy to live outside the ringroad and rely on bus services then areas like Old Marston or Risinghurst might interest you.

As you are talking nursery school..I take it you don't need it till your child is 3 and using their free hours. if that's the case I wouldn't worry too much about this just yet, you can find an area you are happy with, settle, make friends etc then find this. Given that transport links are very good, lots of nursery schools would be available to you and you've got two years to find the right nursery.

twinklytoes Sun 03-Jun-12 08:51:50

also parking can be an issue. there is alot of permit only, on road parking in your designated area. if you are more than a 1 car family you may need to be a bit further out, especially if you want a driveway and garage.

twinklytoes Sun 03-Jun-12 08:54:08

further out and relying on cars then look at villages like Sandford on Thames; garsington or wheatley. all of them are within a 10-15min drive of cowley.

Julietao Mon 04-Jun-12 04:58:01

Thank you for your bast information and references. I know that my child must go to school until he is 3 years old, but as i want him to speak well english, i would like to take him a few hours a day so he can learn the language well.

We live in Old Kidlington and the school services are amazing - our school offers wrap around care, preschool services (a choice of nursery or playgroup) and Cowley is a 15 minute drive in rush hour, ten minutes at other times. Some parts are iffy but most of Kidlington is lovely and there are walkable shops in all areas (I can get to the high street in five minutes walk).

Are you thinking of renting or buying? If renting, there are a few agencies - Martin and Co and Finders Keepers which are worth a look. But a lot of properties rent on Gumtree in Oxford.

InvaderZim Wed 13-Jun-12 19:34:43

IMHO the nicest place close to Cowley is Florence Park. They have their own children's centre too. OK, I don't know much about the rest of that area but FP is nice. smile

Headington is nice as is the bit just outside the ring road- Sandhills which is opposite the park and ride. The school wasn't great a couple of years ago there though but there is a new head.

I personally did not like living near the Crowley road as it was full of students and it was an absolute nightmare dealing with noise at night.

goingmadmadmad Sat 23-Jun-12 19:22:31

Horspath village?
Garsington?
Florence Park?
Personally, I'd add Wood Farm to the "AVOID" list too.

ReetPetit Fri 24-Aug-12 22:40:12

Hi, sorry to barge in, can anyone tell me anything about Friars Wharf? Is it on the good or bad list?! Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now