Local Talk

Nursery options for 3 yr old DD

(5 Posts)
Onthecouch Tue 17-Jul-12 14:35:13

We have looked at some Montessori nurseries for our 3 yr old DD. Does anyone know much about the following nurseries?
1.Field house Montessori nursery, Woodstock rd, Oxford
2. Small world Montessori nursery, Kennington
3. Oxford Montessori, wolvercote

The other alternatives that I liked were nurseries attached to Manor prep and Chandlings manor school, both in Abingdon. We were considering these prep schools earlier but have ruled them out. DD will be going to Oxford high junior school next year, so not sure if it will be ok to put her in nursery of other prep schools for just 10 months?

We need nearly full time place in nursery due to work commitments. Nursery No. 1 and 3 finish at 3 pm, so we will need to consider pick up and drop off by childminder for at least 2 days a week. I am worried if that will be too much for DD with change of area, house, nursery and then change again next year...

exox Tue 17-Jul-12 14:45:13

Both my ds went to St Thomas's in the centre of Oxford near the station, which was open till 5.30 M-TH and 5 on Fridays. They were there till 2009 and I can't speak highly enough of it. The facilities weren't amazing but the staff had been there for years (instead of the high turnover you find at some places) and were really loving. It had a real family feel and both ds have such positive memories of it. I don't know what it's like now but back then it was just wonderful.

I'm afraid don't know anything about the other places you mentioned. Good luck with finding the right place!

Onthecouch Tue 17-Jul-12 14:58:42

Thanks exox, I will look into St Thomas. As we are moving, I was looking at nurseries more geared towards older preschoolers, that's why Montessori options. My DD goes to a regular nursery now, where we are and loves it but just feel that it seems a bit unstructured now for her age.

ubwlondon Mon 30-Jul-12 15:43:08

Hi, our daughter went to the Wolvercote Montessori until this summer, and it is lovely - Ofsted outstanding, really good teachers. They offer "after school care" until 5.30 at their associate school in Elsfield and provide a mini bus service there and back into town. The other thing to consider is that the nursery is closed during school hols, but the "daycare package" includes holiday club attendance in Elsfield. The biggest challenge was the three week Christmas break without holiday club!! PM me if you would like more information.

jumpingjules Sun 12-Aug-12 17:46:46

try OLA abingdon. Private school but has a very flexible nursery. Avoid Chandlings it is a huge zoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now