Local Talk

Moving to Oxford...limited budget...advice MOST welcome please....

(16 Posts)
Auntyarms Fri 31-Aug-12 15:20:30

Hi there

We are thinking of moving into Oxford but don't really know the best areas for us!

We have a budget of about £220k (not much I know) and will be needing a 3 bed house as our long term home...

ANY thoughts would be most welcome...apparently Headingly is the place for us?

Thank you

Auntyarms Fri 31-Aug-12 15:21:59

oops that is Headington!

Saracen Sat 01-Sep-12 03:22:37

If it's long-term, I guess you'll be thinking about schools? How old are your kids if any? Unfortunately there is a lot of pressure on city schools.

Are you moving for work, and if so where do you need to commute to and will it be by car/train/bus? Are you determined to live in the city, or might a nearby area be OK?

Headington is quite expensive , you might have to look at the areas a bit further out. Do you need to be inside the ring road?

Do you need to be central? Do you have any places that you would need to get to from your home I.e work?

mummytime Belgium Sat 01-Sep-12 07:09:46

Do you have to live in Oxford itself or could you commute in? Where are the jobs?

Auntyarms Sat 01-Sep-12 13:31:57

Thank you all...well..things have changed again and as of yesterday DH has a new job...hurrah! ITs been a long time coming but - Hurray!

Righto...we both work from home so no problem re travelling. We would like to be in Oxford to avoid doing a taxi run for the babes for the rest of our lives and somewhere that we can grow into and make Oxford our long term home.

That said...ds is nearly 8 and dd is 5. Am thinking that perhaps a good secondary is now becoming more important.

Now then...the budget can increase by perhaps another 50k...making it £270k purchase price...

Thank you Thank you x

Saracen Sat 01-Sep-12 22:03:28

Congratulations on your dh's new job!! That is fantastic news.

I'm sorry that I'm still confused though. What do you mean about avoiding a taxi run for the babes - do you mean you want somewhere urban with good transport so you won't have to drive your kids everywhere? Oxford is good for public transport, but so are other places. Why Oxford?

I mean, I've lived here for a long time and I do love it here, but it sounds like you haven't lived here. What is there about it that appeals to you - how do you know you will like it and want to make it your long term home?

Not having a go, honestly, and I'm sure we will all have lots of ideas for you. I just want to make sure we aren't barking up the wrong tree!

My initial thoughts are that I don't envy anyone who is trying to find places for two primary-aged children in a decent state school in Oxford city, and that your budget would go further elsewhere. Only one Oxford secondary school (Cherwell) seems to be very popular and I don't think you could afford to live close enough to be sure of getting in.

Many people like the Abingdon schools. Abingdon is close enough to get into Oxford easily by bus.

I was going to suggest Abingdon too Saracen - I live in Abingdon and moved over a year ago from Headington. You get more for your money in Abingdon (North Abingdon is the nicest), the facilities are great, lots to do in the area for the family and really good schools. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore help.

CumberdickBendybatch Sun 02-Sep-12 11:20:48

Look at Kidlington? Good buses into town, and just outside the ring road

Bilbobagginstummy Mon 03-Sep-12 19:10:52

Botley?

Mumfortoddler Fri 28-Sep-12 17:01:15

As a hardened Oxfordshire fanatic I think you could think about all of the above, but it depends, Abingdon is great (15 minute drive from Oxford, fairly decent secondarys) but would also recommend Thame, a market town about 16 miles outside of Oxford. You get incredible amounts for your money and the secondary there Lord Williams is lovely. St Birinus, Didcot Girls and Matthew Arnold, Cherwell are the best in the County. I work in education development and so I would say these schools are both progressive, consistently achieving and caring schools. Faringdon Community College too.

Steer clear of secondary's in the OX4 postcode, which are all extremely poor (where I live!!!)

Kidlington is a little bit of a dive. You've got enough money to go more upmarket. Also consider Wheatley, again closer in but you can get a home in budget.

Finally Wantage and Witney are quite up and coming family areas, but as long as you don't need to travel in during rush hour to Oxford as its a bit gridlocked. On the West side you've got the bonus of getting oodles more space. If you're insistent on Oxford, come to Botley, Grandpont or the Abingdon Road to get the most bang for your buck. In Botley you can get an extra bedroom compared to most areas, and the schools are much better too. Stear clear of Osney Island(it floods) and Pinnocks Way estate in Botley.

Good luck!!!

GingerPCatt Fri 28-Sep-12 17:08:43

If you have the money iffley is nice. It's an easy trip into town but also has a nice villagey feel. Don't know about schools though.
We're selling our house in rose Hill but I won't recommend the area really.

Sinkingfeeling Mon 01-Oct-12 13:07:16

Iffley is lovely, but pricey - and it would fall within the OX4 schools catchment which Mumfortoddler mentioned.

MacLewis Wed 03-Oct-12 14:24:02

I really recommend Abingdon and the surrounding villages - it might be worth renting somewhere first for 6 months somewhere in or near Oxford so you are able to live in the area and find out more about other areas and schools in Oxfordshire.

pichon Wed 24-Apr-13 10:08:30

Hi, I am sorry to revive this old thread, but I can't help asking a question - Is there a reason why you do not recommend Pinnocks Way in Botley? Osney Island, although very very pricey these days, I know that it has history of flooding, but I can't seem to find anything on Pinnocks Way except that there are lots of houses that seem more affordable than other areas (maybe that is a sign?) It would be very helpful if anyone can enlighten me on this as we are looking for something in Botley area. Thank you very very much in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now