Local Talk

Renting with a dog?

(5 Posts)
Jillybeanqueen Thu 11-Oct-12 14:15:32

My husband, six-month-old son, and I will be moving from the US to Oxford at the end of the month. We are on a tight budget (1000 pcm)and will not have a car. I'd like to find something that is suitable for a young child and in walking distance to shops and an easy bicycle, bus, or walk commute to my husband's work which is located near the museum of natural history at Park and S. Park. I've been told the best option would be to work with a letting agent. I'd love recommendations as well as any info you may have about renting a place with a dog. We are hoping to bring our beloved 12 year-old border collie along for the adventure. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!

allium72 Mon 15-Oct-12 23:28:32

Oxford is such a family friendly city with lots to do. If you want to be within walking/cycling distance of the city centre then stay within the ring road. I'm in East Oxford and it takes about 10 minutes to cycle into town and I can walk to town in half an hour. From Cowley it's probably 15 to 20 minutes by bike.

I have no idea about renting with a dog. It would probably come down to the decision of individual landlords so best to try contacting letting agents and make this known! They'll give you an idea about how feasible it is. With your budget then it may be worth looking at the Florence Park area, and also Marston, Headington and East Oxford.

If you look in the property section on www.dailyinfo.co.uk you'll see private listings and ads from letting agents. You can also post a flat wanted ad (there's no charge if it's 10 words or less).

Good luck with your search!

kekouan Mon 15-Oct-12 23:36:02

Well, the Nat hist museum isn't very near to South Park. I'd look at Florence Park, Iffley village and summertown. Also look at Kidlington as it has great links with the city but you'll get a lot more house.

Jillybeanqueen Wed 17-Oct-12 04:58:03

Thanks so much for your input, especially in regards to neighborhoods. So far we've been hitting road blocks when it comes to renting with a dog. Keeping my fingers crossed we will be able to bring him with us.

Notquite Wed 17-Oct-12 05:31:34

The museum is close to South Parks Road, Kekouan, but not South Park. There is a cycle path from Marston through the University Parks which makes that area very accessible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now