Local Talk

Toddler friendly toilets in central Oxford

(8 Posts)
akebia Thu 20-Dec-12 22:07:41

This probably seems a silly question, but I've been caught out a few times when my DD (aged 3) suddenly needs the toilet when I've been in town. There's generally not much time to get somewhere, and often I struggle to think where I can get to quickly enough. I also need somewhere with buggy access.

Last time i tried Debenhams there was a very long queue of buggies waiting for the lift.

Any suggestions?

LeapingLizard Fri 21-Dec-12 05:35:32

Town hall on St Aldates is ace. Handy location, plenty of cubicles, always clean, helpful staff. Plus you know you have an absolute right to use it because it's paid for with your taxes!! Disabled/buggy access is just north of the main entrance.

Also check out the tiny cafe there. It is often completely empty and can provide a calm oasis when you need one!

LeapingLizard Fri 21-Dec-12 05:39:02

Do you know the Community Toilet Scheme? http://www.oxford.gov.uk/PageRender/decER/CommunityToilets.htm A cynic might say this is just the council's way of passing the buck for the provision of public toilet facilities, but it's still welcome.

Read the fine print carefully: not all of them are accessible and IIRC some don't allow children!

akebia Fri 21-Dec-12 10:57:47

Thanks LeapingLizard those are great tips. I would never have thought of going to the town hall, but a very good option! And I will look out for the community toilets.

twinklyrach Fri 11-Jan-13 21:31:29

It's not necessarily central but the Jam Factory is part of the community scheme.

There's also Boots - you have to get a member of staff to open it for you but you can normally grab someone quickly.

Zimbolino Tue 22-Jan-13 17:47:22

The Ashmolean has lovely toilets but you will have to wait for the lift there too. :/

raggiedoll Sat 02-Feb-13 20:48:48

M&S on Queen St has toilets and a baby change upstairs, via lift or escalator!

akebia Sat 02-Feb-13 21:09:27

Thanks - those are great tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now