Local Talk

Osney Island

(4 Posts)
Merlinthemagician Sat 05-Jan-13 19:59:26

Moving to Oxford and need to be central so we are looking to buy on Osney Island or nearby as Jericho seems overpriced.

Apart from the flood risk is Osney Island OK?

Have a budget of about 350k and 2 bedroom house seems best buy for us. osney seems very nice but not sure.

Any advice? Thanks.

akebia Sun 06-Jan-13 18:36:23

My husband used to rent a house on Osney Island and i often visited him there when we were dating. It was a lovely place to be. Really convenient for the station, and handy for going out in town. We often walked down to Jericho to the bars/restaurants in the evening (only 15 mins walk away). There are lovely walks nearby, as well as a park not far away.
I don't really know much about the community as I was only visiting, but it seemed very friendly and mostly owner/occupiers living there.
There's a great pub - The punter http://www.thepunteroxford.co.uk/.
It recently changed ownership and has been revamped. It serves delicious food and when I last went it was buzzing.
There are some other nice streets off the Botley Road. It may also be worth looking at some of the streets off the Abingdon Road as Buckingham St and nearby is very close to town (though not so handy for the station).

Oxyford Sun 06-Jan-13 18:52:37

Great area, nice schools so near town But ignore the flood risk at your peril!

Merlinthemagician Sun 06-Jan-13 22:56:29

Thanks so much for the replies.

We have decided to put an offer on a house on Osney Island now. According to the flood risk register the house last flooded in 1947 as the street is slightly higher ground than the rest of the island.

I know it could still flood but we are charmed by the sweet little house (stupid impractical romantics!) and I love the fact I can walk to work in 15 minutes.

I will just get wellies and some sandbags.

Oxford seems a lovely place to live. I really like all the parks and meadows and it seems rather like living in nice part of London without all the crazy hustle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now