Local Talk

Iffley Village life and schools, request for local knowledge

(8 Posts)
snowdrop2011 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:09:44

So we are considering a move to Oxford and are looking at Iffley Village as a possibility. We'd like to be there for the long term and we have a 7 month old Dd. Do you think this is a nice area to bring up a young family? Or is it mostly rich retirees in the village smile
My other big question is, where do people who live in Iffley tend to send their kids to school? The nearest state primary appears to be Rose Hill which doesn't look great according to Ofsted, and I can't work out what secondary state schools apply in terms of catchment areas? Are there any alternatives within walking or cycling distance in terms of primary and secondary schools (both state and private)?
Lastly I know there is a Montessori nursery in the village, anyone got any experience of it?
Any opinions or local knowledge much, much appreciated....

akebia Fri 15-Feb-13 18:23:23

Dear Snowdrop,
Iffley village is lovely. We sometimes wander in that direction, or go to Iffley lock to feel a bit like we're in the countryside.

I don't know anyone who lives there so I can't say anything about the demographic or community. There are a couple of nice pubs though, so perhaps if you're up here looking at houses you could try and find out a bit more. I seem to remember that there's a community run post office - a pretty good sign!

The great thing about Iffley village is that you can easily walk to east Oxford. You're also close to Donnington doorstep which is a fabulous independently run (but charitably funded) family centre. There'e a lovely atmosphere at DD and they serve really good food. I know that there are quite a few families living in narrowboats not far from Donnington bridge and East Oxford is brimming with young families.

The Isis pub on the river is a nice place to hang out in the summer. They also serve great food and do afternoon teas. You could walk into town along the river in half an hour, and you can easily get to loads of activities for you and your LO in East Oxford.

Rose Hill is a deprived area and this is probably reflected in the school. I think the nearest alternative would be Larkrise which seems to be doing well. You could also think about Hinksey or St Ebbes. All Oxford schools are over-subscribed at the moment but I know people who have got into schools from out of catchment. Places come up as there are many academics who come and go with their families.

Oxford montessori schools, who run the montessori at Iffley, have a good reputation. I know someone who sent her children to the one at Wolvercote and really liked it.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your house search!

cowleycyclist Sat 16-Feb-13 00:07:03

Iffley Village is beautiful, but if I were you, I would go for Iffley Fields instead (it's an expensive area, but I think Iffley Village is expensive too?). It's just a bit further down the river, closer to the city centre, and still very close to the Isis pub, Donnington Doorstep, etc. You would be in the St Mary and St John primary school catchment area - one of my DC goes there and I am a big fan. For secondary schools, you would have the choice of Cheney or Oxford Spires, whereas in Iffley Village, you would have to go for the Spires (though you might be able to get into Cheney anyway). Historically the Spires has not been a very good school, but it has a dynamic head and is becoming much more popular. Cheney is meant to be better academically but I have heard that behaviour can be a problem there.

The best state secondary school in Oxford is meant to be the Cherwell, but that's in North Oxford rather than East Oxford.

I have also heard good things about the Montessori nursery. One of my DC is at Little Troopers, another small East Oxford nursery, and is very happy there.

cowleycyclist Sat 16-Feb-13 00:12:22

I also meant to say, you can type a postcode into the local authority website and find out what school catchment area it's in:
mymaps.oxfordshire.gov.uk/lvinternet/?action=1

snowdrop2011 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:46:38

Thanks so much, your posts are both really interesting! Was in Iffley Village last Sunday and also realised how much visitor traffic it gets from walkers / tourists on nice weather days! So beautiful though. We also liked Iffley Fields which had a totally different vibe. Do you know if there is flood risk there?
Now we just need the right property to come up which is a whole other can of worms....

akebia Tue 19-Feb-13 22:07:19

I have a memory that somebody else here was able to check whether their property had flooded previously on a flood register? Perhaps worth looking into.
We were buying in Oxford during the 2007 floods and East Oxford wasn't affected. The areas to look out for are Abingdon Road plus side streets and the Botley Road area as well as Wolvercote. In Iffley Fields the roads slope down towards the river. I'd be surprised if there was a risk of flooding anywhere here other than the houses close to Meadow Lane. Hope a house comes up for you soon!

aberite Wed 20-Feb-13 06:37:58
aberite Wed 20-Feb-13 06:38:38

Oh, and good luck with the house-hunting smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now