Local Talk

Can anyone recommend a nice place to eat out in Oxford?

(145 Posts)
XBenedict Wed 15-May-13 20:58:06

We are meeting friends there in a few weeks time but neither party knows Oxford that well. Can anyone recommend somewhere smile ?

twofalls Wed 15-May-13 22:55:42

CAn't believe nobody has mentioned brasserie blanc on Walton street. A bit pricey but great.

Or the tapas on little Clarendon. Either way loads of places for cocktails first in that area.

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 15-May-13 22:57:45

Leave room for G&Ds icecream, whatever you do.

Brasserie Blanc is Raymond Blanc's place that mummycool mentioned, I think?

I've got to say, I've been there a couple of times and I thought it was really poor. Rancid nut oil in salad dressings and boring food.

I agree with cocktails though - Angles or the Grand Cafe are nice.

Is Brasserie Blanc still there?

Paddy fields is best for Sunday dim sum.

It is still there.

LippyDiDooDah Wed 15-May-13 23:10:12

Avoid Brasserie Blanc - not worth the hype.

We loved 'The Big Bang' which is a sausage restaurant serving a choice of 32 sausages. Great atmosphere, great service, lovely place. very near the prison grounds another poster mentioned and just up from the Randolph.

Have a lovely trip and come back and tell us where you went smile

joanofarchitrave Wed 15-May-13 23:14:08

Brasserie Blanc? [snarls] No longer any connection with Raymond and I shook their dust from my feet after the work do when they just treated us like cash cows.

Sojos is fab but perhaps it's just because my ds is not that adventurous, but it seemed rather serious for a family meal.

Lippy my DM similarly snarls about the Big Bang. Something about giving her the wrong mash and then telling her she was wrong when she complained I wasn't really listening

rootypig Wed 15-May-13 23:27:56

I'd choose Branca - a beautiful (and not very long) walk into Jericho of a summer evening, should we ever get one of those, with a few nice places for cocktails along the way. Gees used to be fabulous, but the food has slipped.

Er where else. Cherwell Boat House. The Perch. Both beautiful and very Oxfordy.

jitterbug85 Wed 15-May-13 23:45:05

I second the talk house, beautiful place and fantastic food. From what I remember they did a good kids menu too. It's a couple of miles out but definitely worth it.

staverton Thu 16-May-13 00:06:14

2nd Gee's and the Cherwell boathouse. The old parsonage is lovely, but is a bit stuffy. Gee's owned by same people, less stuffy.

You could always get a taxi to Le Manoir... the food isn't actually that expensive, in the grand scheme of things, from a certain perspective (i.e. when compared with the price of the rooms grin)).

FairPhyllis Thu 16-May-13 00:35:17

Browns on St Giles is ... reliable. And well located for you. You didn't use to be able to book on Friday or Saturday nights, but they have an efficient waiting system. You might like Quod too - attached to the Old Bank Hotel on the High Street.

Gees or Cherwell Boathouse if you are looking for something more expensive. Taxis will prob. be involved for Cherwell Boathouse though. Stay away from George St.

Chiang Mai (Thai) is probably still my favourite actually nice restaurant in Oxford. still weeps at the demise of Ma Belle

Agree on Chiang Mai -- I can never remember what it's called (had to Google to check which it was) or explain anyone else how to get there, but it's the one place we keep going back to to eat in Oxford.

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 05:54:41

The Fishes in Botley is pretty good too, I think kids would enjoy it too as they can stretch their legs in the gardens. They used to do lunch boxes for garden orders - our kids loved that.

No one has mentioned The Trout Inn - haven't eaten there since they did it up last millennium. The setting alone makes it a worthwhile a visit even if its just for drinks .... Wonder if the peacock is still running around the yard.

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 05:58:55

I would also highly recommend Hero's for a quick lunch ... They used to do a chicken/bacon/avocado/pitta sandwich which along with Brett's hamburger should have been protected by some agency but sadly Brett's burgers are no longer there and Hero's changed their menu but if you ask nicely they will can still make it.

Trumpton Thu 16-May-13 06:18:24

When we used to go to Oxford Heroes had had the " o " on its sign board changed to. " p" . Not such an appealing name when it showed as Herpes grin

JollyOrangeGiant Thu 16-May-13 06:24:18

We are staying near oxford in July so this is great. Op can I ask hq to move the thread, from chat so it doesn't disappear after 90 days? Please smile

milk Thu 16-May-13 06:25:46
TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 16-May-13 06:30:15

Quod is nice.

Otherwise, echoing others with Chiang Mai kitchen and G&D's.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Thu 16-May-13 06:32:20

Also, The Grand Cafe, not the cheapest place though.

brightwell Thu 16-May-13 06:33:13

I love Mamma Mia's, there's one in Jericho & one in Summertown, good food & family friendly.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mondrian Thu 16-May-13 09:56:42

What's the food like now LRD, are they still doing game?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now