Local Talk

Moving from America seeking advice on toddler-friendly, walking neighborhood in or near Oxford

(3 Posts)
Momlearningwaysofmums Thu 01-Aug-13 17:02:06

My husband has just accepted a job in Harwell. I'm a bit worried about feeling lonely and isolated in a small village, so I'm thinking that Oxford might be a better option for us. Our baby will be 12 months old when we arrive (late September 2013), so I'd like to be close to some toddler-friendly groups and facilities. We have no local knowledge, but what I have discerned from this message board and others is that the 15ish km stretch from Harwell to Oxford has heavy traffic. Can anyone clarify for us just how long that commute might be? Also, I'm already having anxiety picturing trying to drive on the opposite side of the road from the opposite side of the car, so I'd really love to live somewhere that I can be fairly car-free. Is that a realistic option in Abingdon or any other community which might be less of a commute for the hubby?
Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thx!

climbingpingu Fri 02-Aug-13 23:01:01

I travel at slightly odd times to beat the traffic doing 8-4 shifts. It takes me 35 mins normally.

We are moving to wantage soon which is bigger than I initially thought.

You will want to be near the ring road, either botley way or rose hill/Cowley. Former would probably be better but there is a lot of groups in temple Cowley. The city centre is good for groups and grand pont children's centre is good for the transient professional population. Temple Cowley less so, but has under read facilities, just harder to break into the local population but still only a bus ride from the city.

Another option is Abingdon

Momlearningwaysofmums Sat 10-Aug-13 20:54:38

Thanks so much for your input! I keep hearing good things about Wantage. We'll have to check it out too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now