Local Talk

GP & midwife recommendations?

(6 Posts)
xiaodonna Wed 08-Jan-14 09:39:13

I just moved to Oxford from NYC and am pregnant for the first time (at age 40). I'm looking for recommendations for a GP practice with a good midwife attached! Central Oxford location preferred. For example, does anyone has experience with any of the Beaumont Street practices?

Warmth and an unrushed manner are especially desired qualities in midwife & GP smile

Thanks!!!

Portlypenguin Tue 04-Feb-14 11:59:15

I would recommend bury knowle surgery in Headington. Dr Ruth Imrie is amazing and the midwives and health visitors have been incredibly supportive of DS and me. I had post natal depression and DS has some physical health issues and we've had great treatment for the last 2 years.

LocalEditorOxford Tue 04-Feb-14 19:39:52

Give a shout if you're interested in private midwifery care as I know some smashing independent midwives round here - we're very lucky smile

maryoz Mon 17-Feb-14 17:48:15

I go to 27 Beaumont st. have found them to be excellent. Community midwife there (8 years ago) was also lovely.

oxfordbumble Wed 12-Mar-14 15:11:04

I used to go to 27 Beaumont St and see Dr Benson. I always found her very kind and warm. Can't speak about the midwife at that practice. The only downside is that the waiting times (i.e. the degree to which they run late) at that practice is massive: the norm was to have to wait for an hour after my scheduled appointment time. Maybe that's the downside of having an unrushed manner!

Gymnastgirl Mon 24-Mar-14 11:39:11

The midwives here are divided into groups, so you can get the same midwives in various practices. We are at Jericho Health, Bogdanor and partners, and they're fantastic; midwives (Blenheim midwives) took all the time I needed, so caring and very unrushed. Hospital quite a different bug (I'm from US and was quite taken aback at how I was treated at hospital.) In retrospect, would have hired a private midwife for actual labour as the resources at the JR were VERY thin on the ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now