Local Talk

Commuting to London - train speeds etc...?

(3 Posts)
LocalEditorOxford Mon 10-Mar-14 13:35:55

Hi - I've been asked by one of our users if anybody here commutes to London from Oxford regularly. Is it do-able? How long does the train take? What areas are best for getting to the train easily? Is there anything else to consider?

Can anyone help?

oxfordbumble Wed 12-Mar-14 14:14:01

Hi,
I used to commute to London 2-3 days a week, and I still go down fairly regularly. I also know other people who do it. I would say it is do-able but tiring (not to mention expensive), and I am glad I don't have to do it that often any more. The fast trains take about an hour. But then you've also got to factor in commuting at the other end, unless you work right near Paddington, and so door-to-door it used to take me more like 2 hours. If you live in West Oxford, near the station, that would obviously save time at this end. In 2015 they are supposed to be opening a new route with a new station at Water Eaton in north Oxford that will go into Marylebone, and I'm hoping that this will take pressure of the existing route (and maybe make First Great Western sharpen up their act a bit), as well as making it easier for people in the north of the city to use the train. If you can commit to booking a particular train in advance, you can save a lot of money, even at peak times, and this also usually means you get a seat.

The other thing that people I know do is commute by bus (either the X90 or the Tube), especially if they live in Headington, where the bus goes right through. This is cheaper, and saves getting to the station in Oxford if it's not convenient (and the bus stops at various places in central London more useful than Paddington), but traffic is obviously an issue: in theory the journey only takes 90 minutes, but if you get snarled up, it can take more than two hours. But the other good thing about the bus is that it goes very regularly. So if I knew I would be working late, or meeting friends in London after work, I would often take the train in in the morning and then take the bus back afterwards, for the flexibility. (I always had a multi-trip ticket of 12 journeys for £70 for both bus services, which last a year from the time of purchase, and so I could just take whichever bus came first).

Hope that helps!

LocalEditorOxford Wed 12-Mar-14 16:38:57

I'll pass it along - great info. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now