Phil and Jim's

(5 Posts)
JohnHunter Sat 20-Aug-16 21:50:17

My wife and I are currently in Oxford and trying to determine whether or not to stay here for the next few years. We have a two year old son and so need to consider school catchment areas.

There is obviously a thriving independent sector in North Oxford and beyond but there also appears to be a cult following around Phil and Jim's, i.e. SS Philip and James’ Church of England Primary School. In particular, I have spoken to lots of families wanting to move into the Phil and Jim's catchment area.

Interestingly, all previous Ofsted inspections have awarded the school a "good" grade rather than "outstanding". I don't imagine (for one moment) that Ofsted has the final say on school quality but I am curious to learn what its (very positive) local reputation is based upon.

I would also be interested to know whether most state primary schools permit visits from potential parents. It's difficult to make moving / catchment area decisions without seeing the local schools. The independent schools are (perhaps unsurprisingly) a lot more forthcoming about how to visit.

Zimbolino Sun 21-Aug-16 21:44:35

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2363025-Oxford-Wolvercote-and-Phil-Jims?pg=1

Zimbolino Sun 21-Aug-16 21:45:23

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/primary/2632467-Phil-Jims-Oxford

Sunshineonacloudyday Sun 21-Aug-16 21:57:26

I would look at SATs results that is more important and also consistency.

Doughnutsforbreakfast Mon 22-Aug-16 06:37:00

From a friends experience s few years ago I would also make sure you have a solid plan B, because P&J is extremely oversubscribed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now