Local Talk

First timer from Abingdon!!

(64 Posts)
NatashaE29 Wed 26-Aug-09 10:36:55

Hello everyone.
I'm Natasha 29 married to Gaz (35) and i am expecting my first on the 6th Feb2010.
I am living in Sutton Courtenay just outide abingdon and am hoping to meet and make some new friends as feel very lonely as I don't know anyone!!!! I have a car and am wlling to drive anywhere to meet people.
Hope to speak to you soon X

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 10:48:32

have you joined the NCT and/or signed up for their antenatal classes? The Abingdon branch is pretty active and has a Facebook group too.

(I am due end of Jan so will be on matleave the same time as you - will keep my eyes open in Costa etc and post nearer the time as am working ft till then)

NatashaE29 Wed 26-Aug-09 13:02:09

Hi MrsBadger. I am working ft also until I go on matleave.
I have been on the NCT website and there wasn't very much info on Abingdon so i am going to call the number later. I did become a member though of NCT.
Well hope to join you one day for a coffee!!!

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 13:11:45

hmm, they used to have their own website at www.nct-abingdon.org.uk/ but it looks like someone has failed to pay their hosting fee...

Hi Natasha, I'm in Didcot.

Sorry, didn't mean to post so abruptly!

Sorry you're feeling lonely. I'd be happy to meet you - and MrsBadger - for coffee one day

NatashaE29 Wed 02-Sep-09 09:46:51

Hi there JammyQueen........

That wasn't abrupt, it made me laugh!!! Didcot is only down the road, have you got children, are you pregnant??? Would love to meet up for a coffee, currently working but i can get away for about 330 ish most afternoons!!!

I have one DD, 26 months. I work Mondays and Tuesdays. Perhaps we can meet for a coffee in Didcot one afternoon, about 4ish? I don't normally have use of the car on weekdays (my choice - I have to tell people that or DH is scared they will think he is mean!) so if you don't mind coming into Didcot that would be much easier for me. Having said that I'm away next week and busy every day the week after, but how about I come back and post on this thread in a couple of weeks and see if we can meet up in late September/beginning of October? (Oooh, that feels scary, thinking of making plans for October - where has the year gone?)

NatashaE29 Thu 03-Sep-09 10:18:51

That's sounds great to me. I have use of a car so am pretty flexible. Beginning of October will be better for me too as have quite a bit on myself over the next few weeks. Yes it is very scary planning for October. DH and I have just made plans to spend a week with my family in November and although at the time it seemed ages away its quite dauntig that it will be here in no time at all!!
Well have a good couple of weeks and hopefully see you sometime in October.

RumourOfAHurricane Sun 06-Sep-09 11:55:37

Hello- I live in a small village near Wantage and have a little boy of 2 and a girl of nearly 11. Know Sutton Courtney pretty well- lovely village.

How are you settling in? Have you posted much on MN? Best way to get to know people I find.

NatashaE29 Tue 08-Sep-09 10:02:31

Hi i have been into wantage a couple of times whe i played netball. We have settled in ok, i love the area and its great for the dog!! I have tried to contact the Abingdon nct but don't seem to get anywhere, I haven't posted on MN yet i'm still trying to catch up with some of the posts!!!

Woollymummy Sun 13-Sep-09 00:10:27

I live the other side of Abingdon from you but sometimes have been to NCT things there, they were good, coffee mornings and kids playing in different mum's houses, toddler group and music in the holidays at St. Helen's church Abingdon, meeting up in Abbey meadows when it is sunny and once in the Oxford Natural History museum. I have mainly kept bumping into people at events and mainly remembered kids names rather than mum's names and therefore haven't really got good friends as such through the NCT, but my actual friends in my village are all NCT members and it is generally a friendly group I think. Make the most of any opportunity to get together with other people who can sympathise, give advice and support, share good ideas and let you vent your frustration, depending on the day - anyone is better than no-one, and although mumsnet is a very good way, it is really good to have real people to be with too. My two children are 3 and a bit and 1 and a bit now, but it feels like only yesterday that I was in your situation. I work part time now but am always up for meeting for coffee and chats, you can meet some fun children as a bonus! Keep in touch

Woollymummy Sun 13-Sep-09 00:12:35

By the way I think the nearly new sale is coming up soon, it is probably in the hall of John Mason School as usual, try and find out a.s.a.p - all the useful people to meet up with and find out about NCT events in Abingdon will be there. I am not a member myself so haven't a phone list to hand but someone there should be able to give you some idea.

NatashaE29 Tue 15-Sep-09 10:01:06

Hi Wollymummy,

Thank you. I did manage to get onto the NCT website in the end and i have registered so am awaiting my information pack as we speak. The nearly new sale is on the 10th October at 1030, i think i am away this day unfortunately but i'm sure there will be others.
My Sister pretty much said the same as you (family live on the isle of wight) and told me that i definately need to get out and meet mums that can be a shouylder to cry pn and general support when needed. It's nice to know that there are people out there though and maybe we could meet up for a coffe one day?!
I'm only 20 weeks so half way but already starting to get nervous.
Thanks again for your message.
Natasha

MrsBadger Tue 15-Sep-09 10:10:08

oh, I temporarily lost this thread, but I meant to say that if you fancied antenatal yoga there is a good Monday night class on the Shippon side of Ab - CAT me if you want the details as I can't post the teacher's phone no on an open forum

Hello again Natasha and others. Does anyone want to meet at 4pm on October 1st at Boswells or Sainsburys or the Cornerstone Arts Centre cafe in Didcot?

greensnail Sun 20-Sep-09 21:39:47

Hi Natasha, I'm in Sutton Courtenay too, would love to meet up if you fancy it - i don't really know many people in the village. I have a little girl who is 9 months old.

Would love to meet in Didcot too JammyQueenOfTheSewers.

NatashaE29 Mon 21-Sep-09 09:36:02

Hi JammyQueenOfTheSewers and greensnail,

That would be great would love to meet up. I'm easy as to where we meet, so i'll let you guys choose!!!

XX

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Mon 21-Sep-09 09:47:33

I can second the NCT in Abingdon being very active. Bumps and babes is a great way of meeting people (coffee mornings at people's houses) and they run post-natal groups which are really worth trying to get on. I still see the girls from my group every week (DD is now 3.5). The baby cafe is at the children's centre in north abingdon on a Thursday lunchtime and they do all sorts of other things there - they have a sensory room which is lovely for newborns.

MrsBadger - is the antenatal class on a monday night now? It used to be on a Tuesday. I am due in March so will start going again soon I think.

We should all wear a badge or something so we recognise fellow MNers when out and about grin.

Generally Natasha, Abingdon is a great place to be with small children. Loads going on and pretty friendly.

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Mon 21-Sep-09 09:52:28

It is Monday MrsB, just called the teacher. Monday night 7.30 until 9.00pm at The Manor Prep school in Abingdon.

Teacher is lovely and an ex-midwife so really knows her stuff.

NatashaE29 Mon 21-Sep-09 17:06:22

Hi there TwoManyFalls.......... (that is one long name!!!!)

How do i get info on the Bups and babes, i am still waiting for my info pack from NCT and again the website only really displays the nearly new sales and antenatal classes. I have tried various attempts to get onto the web page that Mrs Badger put on this thread but again its not working!!!! Such a pain as i'm desperate to get out there and meet some new people.!!!

TwoManyFallsAndYouGetABadScore Mon 21-Sep-09 17:50:09

Its actually twofalls but this is my strictly name grin.

Are you on facebook? Abingdon NCT does have a facebook page in if you join the group and post a message on the wall I am sure someone will give you details. I can't remember when bumps and babes normally is - on a Wednesday morning I probably not so good if you are not on maternity leave yet.

It looks like they have an antenatal welcome evening on the 14th October at The Ock Mill in Abingdon at 8pm. If you can get on to the facebook group, then you might get a quicker response.

greensnail Tue 22-Sep-09 20:11:50

Bumps and babes is tuesday mornings, definitely worth going along, its a really nice group

Catz Tue 22-Sep-09 20:18:06

I don't know if you work during the day but there is a nice aquanatal group at the White Horse Leisure Centre in Abingdon at 12 on Mondays. It's just a drop in session so no need to book but the same people tend to go each week so nice to meet people.

NatashaE29 Thu 24-Sep-09 09:19:35

Hi Catz,

I do work during the day but i think i could probably get up there. I did go to the one in Berinsfield which is on a monday evening. It was a very quiet class but the girls were nice. Is it a big group that go. I May pop up and take a peek on Monday.

Thanks X

Catz Fri 25-Sep-09 20:42:51

There are roughly around 15 people Natasha though it does vary from week to week. Lots of people only start when they start maternity leave but there's also quite a few who work part time/have kids at school etc and are earlier on. The class is 12-1 but people tend to float about for a bit chatting/have coffee afterwards. Even if you leave it till you start mat leave you might find it useful.

Hope all goes well.

Natasha - and anyone else interested - do you still want to meet on Thursday pm? Is 4 o'clock good for you? I think that fits with what you said about work?

I don't mind where we meet, but as I said Didcot is much easier for us if that's OK. Does Boswell's coffee shop in the Orchard Centre sound OK then?

NatashaE29 Mon 28-Sep-09 11:21:07

Hi Jammy,

I am really sorry but can't make thursday i have got my consultant appointment at 230 up at the JR. You know what they are like up there, i probably wont be back in time.
I am still very interested to meet up though and next week for me is pretty free at the moment.
Greensnail was also interested in meeting up.
Hope you guys still get together and hope to see you soon.

Catz - thanks for that it sounds like it is a good class. I will give the berinsfield one a little longer as it is in the evening, but will more than likely join the one in Abingdon. Will be on leave most of december so will have something positive to look forward to if i dont make it earlier.
Thanks again

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 11:37:31

Natasha - I have a consultant appt at 1.30 on Thurs, and if I can find it I will be carrying the official MN lentil weaver bag thus, so if you happen to see me come and say hello smile

greensnail Tue 29-Sep-09 10:04:43

Hi all, when shall we meet up if Natasha can't make this thursday then? How about next thursday - does that suit us all?

NatashaE29 Tue 29-Sep-09 10:46:45

Hi MrsBadger,

I will keep my eyes peeled then!! Hope to see you there.

Greensnail - Next thursday (8th) sounds good to me if its ok with everyone else!!

Good luck with your scans ladies
And the 8th sounds fine for me.

NatashaE29 Fri 02-Oct-09 08:35:51

Hi,
Looking forward to the 8th i'm going to be bringing my neighbour who has a 6 month old little girl.

MrsBadger - I did look out for you but my god what a busy time to go!! I left that place with a screaming headache!!
All went well with the consultant thankfully just have to have a scan in Jan to check and see if my placenta has moved if so i'm hoping to go to wantage mat unit for the delivery. Its all beginning to become very real!!

Hope everyone is well

MrsBadger Fri 02-Oct-09 08:48:39

oh I was well away by 2.30 - they took my urine/weight/bp and that was ALL so I legged it back to work.

have fun next week and don;t forget the secondhand sale on the 10th...

greensnail Fri 02-Oct-09 10:21:45

Sending placenta moving vibes your way then Natasha

Wish I could have had DD at Wantage, it seems so lovely there.

JammyOLantern Wed 07-Oct-09 17:31:08

So are we still OK for meeting at 4pm tomorrow? At Boswells? (Happy to change if anyone wants!)

Who is coming and how shall we know each other? I am the one with a bad cough, a 2 year old girl and a red Phil & Ted buggy.

greensnail Wed 07-Oct-09 20:05:58

I'll be there - with ninemonth old DD in a bright pink stroller. Hope i can recognise you Jammy. Think it will be the three of us, me Jammy and Natasha - though anyone else is welcome too!

I'll wear my green coat, so look out for someone with dark hair, green coat and baby in a pink buggy!

JammyOLantern Wed 07-Oct-09 20:11:47

Maybe we should all carry a copy of the Daily Mail wink

greensnail Wed 07-Oct-09 20:27:37

grin not a bad idea actually

JammyOLantern Thu 08-Oct-09 18:25:08

Oh greensnail, I feel so blush now. I have just looked at your profile to see if there were any pics (thinking I should have done that before this afternoon!) and I see you are on an ante-natal thread! I'm so sorry, I have been so fed up with loads of people asking me recently if we are trying (or going to be trying) for another that I deliberately didn't ask you about that and now I find I should have been congratulating you!!! blush

Was lovely to meet you though Natasha shame you couldn't come - hope nothing is wrong?

greensnail Thu 08-Oct-09 20:05:20

Hi Jammy,

That's ok, I wasn't sure whether to say anything as I've announced it on MN but not in RL and so I wasn't quite sure which world I was in if that makes sense blush

Was lovely to meet you too. Natasha hope everything's ok.

NatashaE29 Fri 09-Oct-09 08:54:47

Hi Guys,

So so sorry i couldn't make it. I had a meeting at 2 which is normally over by about 330, no not this week. I'm sick of sitting at work bored knowing there are more inportant and exciting things to do i get stuck in a B**y meeting. Sorry rant over.

I hope you guys got on and had a nice afternoon. I was even late picking little sis up from train station - not good when she is a stroppy 18 yr old!!

I have emailed kirsty and she has my number now so hopefully we can get together again soon. I tak it by your last thread Kirsty that you are expecting again? Congratulations hun.

I really hope to meet you soon. XXX

JammyOLantern Sat 10-Oct-09 15:18:06

Sorry you got held up Natasha but perhaps we can meet another day?

MrsBadger Wed 14-Oct-09 11:08:10

aha the plot thickens, Natasha - at yoga on Monday I met one of your work colleagues who's due the same time as both of us...

NatashaE29 Thu 15-Oct-09 09:02:33

Ah Alys,

We dont work together but are at the same site. We were going to aquanatal together on a monday evening but Alys thought she'd try the yoga. Is it any good??
How is your pregnancy going??

MrsBadger Thu 15-Oct-09 09:11:41

I like yoga - went through my last pg and loved it too - but randomly it's a really small class at the moment which is a bit weird.
Haven't tried the Monday night aqua class as there's no way I'd make it there for 7pm - dh often has to pound up the stairs to take over bathtime the minute he gets home as it is...

NatashaE29 Thu 15-Oct-09 17:08:47

Well i may give it a go!!

twofalls Mon 19-Oct-09 08:24:21

MrsBadger, I might go to yoga tonight if I can get DD in bed and settled in time (DH teaches from home in the evenings so i don't need a babysitter but she does need to be asleep). So if you see a new girl, it could be me! I am due at the beginning of March.

Catz Mon 19-Oct-09 08:43:13

MrsBadger - would you mind letting me have the details for the yoga class please? Do you have to sign up for a certain number of weeks? Am 33 already so not sure I'll make it if it has to be a 6 wk course or something like that.

Thanks

NatashaE29 Mon 19-Oct-09 09:16:20

Hi MrsBadger,

Could you pass the details onto me too. I haven't seen Alys otherwise would have asked her. I'm just after a time, place and what i need to bring if anything?? Will aim to go next week. Had a little accident at weekend which involved my head and a tree!!! So have bad head that just wants to rest at the moment!!

Thank you.

twofalls Mon 19-Oct-09 09:19:06

Its Monday night 7.30 until 9.00pm at The Manor Prep school in Abingdon.

You can just turn up, its not a course. It used to be about £6.50 but that was when I went when pg with dd 4 years ago.

The teacher is an ex midwife who is lovely.

Sorry, I know I am not MrsBadger!

MrsBadger Mon 19-Oct-09 09:23:45

no it is all very casual - no minimum attendance requirements etc, just pay as you go (£6.50 a pop).
Monday night 7.30 until 9.00pm at the Manor Prep.
Bring a mat and a blanket if you have them but she brings lots of spares.
Have CATed you her name and number - may see you there!

twofalls Mon 19-Oct-09 09:29:39

Natasha, hope your head gets better. Sounds nasty. A day under your duvet seems is probably required.

Catz Mon 19-Oct-09 10:02:42

Thanks twofalls and MrsBadger!
Hope to go tonight if DH gets in on time and I am not too knackered after aquanatal.
Hope to see you there.

NatashaE29 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:34:45

Thanks very much ladies. Hope to see you there next week. Look out for newbie!!!

Oh and the head still hurts but is loads better!! I think the tree came off worse ha ha X

twofalls Thu 22-Oct-09 14:07:57

hi natasha, its not on next week as its half term. It was a nice class - very small.

Lovely to meet you MrsB!

twofalls Thu 22-Oct-09 14:08:16

oh, and glad the head feels better.

Goldberry Sat 31-Oct-09 12:10:20

Hi Natasha. Only just noticed this thread - I haven't looked on the local site for ages. I'm in Sutton Courtenay too! I have a dd (4) and ds (18 months). Would be happy to meet up some time.

Ocelot Sat 07-Nov-09 07:26:06

I have a 6 month old and live near abingdon. I also did the yoga in Shippon and it was fab - I think it really helped. Would recommend.

I found that the NCT antenatal class was a brilliant way to meet other mums in abingdon - abingdon is full of babies so it's a good place to live near! There are baby music classes and sessions at the library and generally is lots going on.

JammyOLantern Tue 10-Nov-09 12:11:09

Only just remembered to check in how things are going "locally" blush. Hope everyone is well and maybe we can have another coffee sometime?

greensnail Wed 11-Nov-09 08:41:00

I'm always up for a coffee Jammy, anyone else?

NatashaE29 Tue 17-Nov-09 08:55:21

Hello everyone,

I've just got abck from centre parcs!! It was a lovely place although very tiring at times. We went with my family and it was nice to catch up with them and especially seeing my nephew (19 months) who i hadn't seen in ages!!!.

I finish work in 3 weeks for the xmas period so will have some spare time on my hands, would be up for a coffee then!!!! (the only dates that are really busy for me are 8, 9, 10, 11 of Dec have family up and looking after nephew) but any time after that.

Hope everyone is well!!

nowbringussomeJammypudding Thu 03-Dec-09 13:26:13

So are you on ML yet Natasha?

fitandhealthymums Sat 19-Jan-13 20:49:58

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now