Local Talk

Hello i'm thinking of moving to oxfordshire

(8 Posts)
Underwaterflowers Thu 13-Dec-12 11:48:45

My dh is looking at the possibility of moving jobs and we were wondering what oxford is like to live in?

Any advice re schools, areas to avoid good communities etc

Thank you

Bloxofchocs Thu 03-Jan-13 21:34:14

We are moving to north Oxfordshire from Surrey in a few weeks as DH has a new job. Until recently, we had never been to Oxford and know nobody in the vicinity but we loved the town and surrounding villages so decided to take a chance.

In Oxford itself we found the areas we wanted to live very expensive with rental prices not dissimilar from London. We liked Summertown but Ofsted had given the local state primary 'special measures' at the last inspection and there was no guarantee we would get into one of the other very good but extremely oversubscribed primary schools.

We looked east and liked towns such as Witney and Chipping Norton but had heard nightmare stories about commuting. We looked at loads of villages but many were just a bit on the small side. In the end we plumped for Bloxham, a couple of miles south of Banbury and DH will get the train to Oxford from Banbury which takes about 20 mins.

Bloxham ticked the boxes for us because the schools both primary and secondary are good. There is also a children's centre and a nursery and, it would seem, a few things going on for kids. There is also a doctors, dentist, and a few shops and pubs. The proximity to Banbury for further shopping/entertainment/civilisation(!) is also a tick for me.

I've no idea if we've made the right decision but it's too late to turn back! If you're still considering a move in six months I can let you know then!

CrowmarshGibbon Mon 14-Jan-13 17:30:28

Many people prefer this compromise of living in one of the smaller towns and commuting in, it kind of depends what you're looking for. Can you give us an idea of what elements are important to you?

suzyjetfighter Wed 23-Jan-13 00:29:57

Get ready to spend a LOT of money living here. It is almost London prices and Oxford has all the inconveniences of a city but few of the benefits. Harsh, I know but I would only encourage it if you have the money to live in a nice area. To me it feels very 'have and have' not and there is a strong north vs east Oxford divide.

It depends where you are moving from. I moved here a year ago and regret it - it's lovely and pretty but I just find that it has no grit and no soul.

FrogsMum2013 Thu 21-Feb-13 09:39:30

I love it here, moved here a year ago. Live in a great community in South Oxford, easy access to London from Didcot parkway and huge business centres locally. Great school, great nursery and we rent a period house from an estate. Look around Wantage area, cannot recommend it enough. Have to admit never go into Oxford, Newbury is easier and more family friendly with parking!

CrowmarshGibbon Thu 21-Feb-13 10:49:39

Haven't tried Newbury - always shopped in Reading or Oxford (or waited until I visited my mum and went to the shops of my teenage years!) but neother are particularly mum-friendly. Will have to give Newbury a go - thanks for the tip!

FrogsMum2013 Thu 21-Feb-13 12:30:19

Newbury is FAB. Park underneath the new John Lewis (follow signs to collect by car) as no-one parks underneath! Then there is a lift into John Lewis and then access in the new shopping area with Cath Kidston, M&S etc and still acceses Boots, Debenhams. Its allot less stressful. Have you moved yet?

Nikki1987 Thu 01-Aug-13 09:50:01

Anybody from Banbury on here?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now