Local Talk

Moving to south Oxfordshire

(10 Posts)
Humpo Thu 28-Mar-13 06:57:57

Hi there. My husband and I are relocating from Nottingham to south Oxfordshire. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We are very flexible about where we live but would prefer a village. Can anyone advise where is good to live with young children? Would like somewhere with a good primary school and good play groups etc. thanks!

CrowmarshGibbon Thu 28-Mar-13 18:25:49

I presume you are moving for job reasons? What are is the job and how far are you willing to consider for a commute?

Many of the towns and villages round here have good or outstanding primary schools and good toddler social lives - Wallingford, Benson, Ewelme, Crowmarsh Gifford, Brightwell cum Sotwell, Dorchester.

have you any other deciding factors?

Humpo Thu 28-Mar-13 21:56:25

My husbands job is in a village crackled brightwalton between wantage and Newbury. Want to be east of there though as my parents are in high Wycombe and main purpose of move was to be nearer them. Do you know Harwell at all- we've seen some houses there we like the look of but primary school only got satisfactory on ofsted report (no idea whether that's a big problem or not!) thanks for the advice so far

blackcurrantea Wed 03-Apr-13 13:58:49

Hi there, I also have a 3yr old (next month anyway) and a 1 yr old. We just moved to between wantage and Didcot in Oct after nearly 1yr looking. Great area for amenities and community. Access to the Ridgeway up on the hills is great. Lots going on in and around East Hendred particularly for mums with little ones incl. a popular music group on Fridays in Harwell called BusyBees. I would defo recommend asking locals about the local school- cant beat local knowledge! Goodluck with your search!

blackcurrantea Wed 03-Apr-13 14:03:37

Ps- seems to be a big influx of families with 0-10 aged kids in this area at the mo. Really nice to be meeting future classmates as we meet up at playgroup etc.

Sleepingisgivingin Thu 11-Apr-13 19:35:09

Hi, I live in harwell and moved there from Wantage last year. The preschool is great, and I've heard the school is fine too. My eldest attends the girls school in didcot that is very good too.
Harwell is a lovely village, people are really friendly, the local shops are fab and its close enough to didcot for cinema, supermarket etc.
Shout if you have any questions x

Rachy1809 Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:15

Hi Humpo,

Did you relocate in the end? Where did you choose?

We're looking at relocating from Manchester and Oxfordshire was on my list. Has everything worked as you'd hoped?

CrowmarshGibbon Wed 02-Oct-13 08:28:14

Hi Rachy,
Have you got any questions about Oxon that we can help you with? Which areas are you looking at?

AppetiteForDistraction Tue 08-Oct-13 22:01:58

Hello South Oxfordshire! I have just moved to Warborough with my 21 month old and I am on a mission to meet people while doing fun things with my little one. I am off work on Mondays and Tuesdays, can you suggest any nice groups we can go to?

CrowmarshGibbon Wed 09-Oct-13 08:43:20

Don't know Warborough very well, but Wallingford has a good group on a Tuesday. It's at 10am at the Baptist Church on Thame St. It's free to attend.

I think Benson has something on too, but haven't got any information on this at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now