Local Talk

Moving to S Oxfordshire...worried about flooding!

(6 Posts)
AddictedToPropertyApps Thu 04-Apr-13 17:04:14

Hello All,

We are relocating to near Abingdon as my DD starts at the Manor Prep in September and my DH will need to get to Oxford but don't know where to choose as the flooding seems terrible in the area every time we visit although I adore the villages! Are there any places to cross off the list so that we don't get wet feet!

Thank you!

FormerManorPupil Fri 05-Apr-13 10:54:58

TI went to the Manor, a million years ago. To hear you say your daughter is going there makes me feel as though you are sending her back in time!

We lived in Sutton Courtenay at the time, and our house never flooded, never came anywhere close. Then later my parents lived in Long Wittenham, and even though the river was close, the houses themselves never flooded. Much to my surprise, but i guess the villages have been there for hundreds of years.

FormerManorPupil Fri 05-Apr-13 10:58:30

Can you afford Kennington, or Boars Hill?

AddictedToPropertyApps Fri 05-Apr-13 15:47:07

I love Sutt Court but that seemed the wettest of all the places we visited so good to hear you say that. Is Kennington nice-got the impression that it wasn't!
Thanks for replying!

CrowmarshGibbon Sun 07-Apr-13 06:00:13

Of course the good thing about all the flooding this winter is that you have a realistic overview of the potential for flooding. ie: if it didn't flood this winter, it's unlikely to flood :-)

In fact, despite all the flooding in South Oxfordshire, I don't recall hearing about any property that suffered, just land and agriculture...

Hth

AddictedToPropertyApps Sun 07-Apr-13 07:45:20

Haha yes you are right! I'm going back up for an expedition today-think I've covered lots of villages immediately south of abingdon, now looking west and Abingdon itself. If you see a harassed woman dragging two bemused toddlers around that's me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now