Moving to Oxfordshire, Arty areas?

(5 Posts)
artysal76 Tue 22-Sep-15 17:10:21

Hi there,
Myself and my partner (family) are hoping to move too Oxfordshire in a few months time. We have visited a few times and the countryside is very beautiful. We don't want to live in Oxford itself.
We both work in the creative fields and I'm especially artistic and enjoy the company of other creative types. I am also slightly left wing. I appreciate Oxfordshire is more Conservative and it's not the end of the World. We have visited (briefly) Abingdon, Witney, Wantage and Wallingford. All lovely areas, but I do have an aversion towards snooty, unfriendly people. I appreciate there are nice people and not so nice everywhere, but can anyone tell me if any of these areas have more of an arty or even friendly atmosphere? I used to live in Bristol which I loved, but it is too far away from London where I have clients. I am currently in St Albans (Herts) and the people are snooty and a bit standoffish. I really don't want a repeat of this. Anyone know of any areas that even slightly fit the bill?
Thank you so much :-)

WhatHo Thu 13-Oct-16 11:18:02

Check out Cropredy just outside Banbury. Very pretty village with a hippy vibe. Great pubs and the annual Fairport Cropredy Convention. Also check out the Oxfordshire art trail site for clusters of artists may be?
Just realised this thread is ancient but hell I'll post anyway...

jimblejambles00 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:24:21

We are looking to move to Oxfordshire too (DH & I are both musicians) and have loads of colleagues in the Cholsey area. more and more musicians are moving to that area between Wallingford and Didcot as it's so easy to get into London. Good luck with your move!

jimblejambles00 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:26:50

Also just to say that we liked Wallingford. It didn't feel snobby at all, very friendly, has a great vintage clothes shop, good cafes, theatre, a slightly left-leaning vibe.

catmombaby16 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:39:21

I lived in Witney for 10yrs. At first, being a salt of the earth northerner, I hated it and found the southern snobbery/rudeness hard. But I grew to love the area. Witney is lovely, as are a lot of the surrounding villages and towns. Arty wise maybe try faringdon, Wallingford etc. big RAF communities so people tend to be friendlier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now