Local Talk

Moving to Perth

(49 Posts)
gv Tue 09-Dec-08 15:12:58

Hi there. DH has just been offered a job in Perth so we are thinking of relocating from Manchester. We have 2 children aged 5 and 7. Can anyone give any information on good areas to start looking to live in, recommended schools or any words of comfort !!

haggisaggis Tue 09-Dec-08 16:00:49

I cannot give any recommendation for Perth itself. I live about 25 miles away in a rural location. There are good primary schools in most of the villages around with a good High School at Auchterarder.

gv Tue 09-Dec-08 16:16:11

Thanks. The job is in Perth but I was thinking of somewhere further out, a small town or village within commuting distance. We live in a really good community at the moment, local shops and nice people. Would love to find somewhere similar. I'd heard the local schools are good in Perth and Kinross.

GentleOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 16:36:29

Almondbank, Luncarty, Stanley are a few miles out of Perth and are quite good communities.

One or two of the Perth schools are not too great but your children are primary age- the primaries are pretty good.

There are some areas that are pretty grim but I better not post them up.

Is it Perth itself or slightly more rural you are looking for?

Are you looking to rent or to buy?

gv Tue 09-Dec-08 19:13:14

Looking to rent initially as we have a house in Manchester to sell or rent. Thinking of somewhere outside Perth but not somewhere too isolated ( grew up in the middle of nowhere and don't want to inflict that on my dc). The logistics of finding a school when we will only be renting initially freaks me out !! In fact the whole move thing freaks me out !

GentleOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 20:24:57

It is a scary thing, such a big move over a long distance and away from familiar things, gv.

this link gives you an indication of prices/areas.

There are very good schools at Methven, Madderty, Stanley, Forgandenny and Muthill.

Crieff is a larger town with lots of different shops, good health centers, activities and the people are nice. There are good schools there as well.

Muthill is a cracking little village with quite an eccentric population. Good school too. It is about 5 miles from Crieff and 14 from Perth.

Dunkeld/ Birnam is quaint but quite expensive. Posh little shops but has one of the best schools of all.

Bankfoot is sleepy, has 1 shop and a good school. And three pubs grin

Prices for rents average out about £600 a month for a three bedroomed house in the smaller villages/ towns. There are places for less (or much more)

Perth has cinema, swimming pool, plenty of parks, good shops etc and has a good hospital.

I know the area s really well so if you want to find anything out just holler.
Good luck.

gv Tue 09-Dec-08 21:15:49

thank you so much -thats brilliant. Given me lots to look at/think about. Will spend a couple of weeks researching schools etc, and may well holler again. Will buy you a coffee/ wine if we make it up there !

GentleOtter Tue 09-Dec-08 21:18:43

Coffee with wine in it will be fine.grin

You can CAT me if you need info on places.
The best of luck!

cathcat Mon 29-Dec-08 22:54:47

Scone and St Madoes are both near to Perth with schools. Nice countryside all around. Good luck with the move.

gv Tue 30-Dec-08 14:45:30

Thanks for the post cathcat. Have made time to sit down today with map and do some research and print off ofsted results etc. It is all very daunting !!

cathcat Sat 03-Jan-09 00:09:11

How is the research going?

gv Sun 04-Jan-09 17:11:18

I have a short list ( or rather quite a long list) based on size of village, ofsted reports etc. We like the look of Newburgh, Scone, Almondbank and Birnam, and quite a few others as well! DH and I are coming up to look around in a few weeks and then we'll come up in Feb to look at schools with dd and ds. It's quite exciting in a scary sort of a way.

ScattyStudent Thu 29-Jan-09 08:49:47

oh how exciting, Perth (and areas) is lovely.
we live about 10 miles out now. only thing I would say is that the high schools IN Perth arent very good, try and stay just outside the town (as you are planning to)

gv Thu 29-Jan-09 14:10:43

Thanks taking the time to reply Scatty. We came up at the weekend and agree it is lovely, and seems v friendly too ! Really looking forward to it now, on to the looking at schools and houses stage when we come up in Feb... Thanks for the tip about high school. Did consider moving into Perth itself as we are used to be in the centre of town. But thought what the heck, if we are going to do this, we'll do it properly and live in the country!

Winebeforepearls Thu 29-Jan-09 14:16:05

Newburgh is very friendly if we can lure you over the border into Fife. Tis a much better clarss of mud rural types over here, honest wink

gv Thu 29-Jan-09 19:41:40

Interesting you should say that - Newburgh was where a friendly drunk local accosted us. Couldn't make out what he was saying, but he was friendly enough !! Liked the place, seemed quirky and looked like stuff was going on locally - didn't get that impression in some of the villages. What is the primary school like?

Winebeforepearls Thu 29-Jan-09 20:01:22

tbh we haven't done much research on it because we're further east and into the next catchment area. But dd2 goes to the nursery there and it's very friendly.

gv Thu 29-Jan-09 20:05:28

Thanks for that. This sort of local info is really useful and it's nice to know the locals are friendly !

GentleOtter Thu 29-Jan-09 20:14:09

envy at the wool and craft shop in Newburgh.
Good luck gv.

Winebeforepearls Thu 29-Jan-09 20:51:42

Yes it is wonderful, GO. I have to walk past it quickly and remember that I have two unfinished jumpers languishing in my knitting bag blush

ScattyStudent Fri 30-Jan-09 08:24:00

Ballinluig has the lovliest little primary school (only about 40 odd children) see I'm trying to poach you grin

gv Fri 30-Jan-09 08:47:16

Poach away! Don't think anyone has thought it worth it before !! Will take a look when were up in Feb. Small school sounds good. All I really want is a little village with;
- small friendly school ( with outstanding ofsted and local reputation obviously)
- nice shops ( quirky craft/pound shop/co-op), coffee shop, pub, choice of restarants ( good ones but not so good you have to book in advance).
- ideally a library or book shop
- local community with stuff to join
- brownies and scouts locally
- pretty scenery
- large period house in village with large garden. DH wants several acres tho. For about 50K less we're going to get for house here ...
Or should this be on the AIBU post grin?

Winebeforepearls Fri 30-Jan-09 09:02:03

grin

I hesitate to say this, but there are very few Scottish villages that resemble your classic English village in the way you describe - to do with history/sociology/whatever. Having said that, Ballinluig is lovely, beginning of the Highlands, and certainly handy for transport.

On the other hand wink

* Newburgh, although a town not a village, has Co-op, newsagent's, Post Office
* wonderful craft shop of which GentleOtter speaks
* library and Tayside Institute for all sorts of courses/toddler groups
* very friendly church and minister if that's your thing
* lovely nursery as I said before
* beautiful rolling farmland surrounding
* easy access to Perth/Edinburgh/Dundee

Come east, my friend ... <rubs hands, cackles>

gv Fri 30-Jan-09 09:24:20

Villages like that don't exist in England either as far as I know, so I knew it was unreasonable! But nothing wrong with a wish list. Glad you are all encouraging us anyway !

All going to come down to availability of school place, if we like the school and availability of rented accomodation really. Must pretend do some work now, they know nothing about this, although some suspect somethings up.

WorkInProgress Tue 03-Feb-09 19:54:18

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has taken the time to add to this thread. Really useful information- Mumsnetters are great. Hoping to start viewing properties soon -haven't made any final decisions yet - so if anyone has anything to add...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now