Moving to Peterborough

(8 Posts)
mrsscottishbear Sat 13-Feb-16 13:55:11

Hi, I'm sorry to repeat threads that are already on here but I'm moving from Scotland in the next month and looking for rental property. I have never been to Peterborough and all the information I've seen is really old so just wondering if Bretton and Orton Goldhay is really as bad as everyone seems to make out or if its improved?
Is there anywhere else to avoid?
I have a daughter who is 17 month old and my husband is going to be working in Peterborough which is why we're relocating.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Suebedo Thu 18-Feb-16 07:23:36

Avoid Parnwell and Eastfield Road areas. The Ortons vary I think. Ditto Bretton.
Does it matter how far you are from your DH work? Do you want to be able to walk to the town centre or are you happy with buses/driving?

mrsscottishbear Thu 18-Feb-16 20:18:27

Thats a massive help thank you so much for replying.

thefemaleJoshLyman Sat 12-Mar-16 23:05:27

I live in Orton, in one of the old villages, I would highly recommend it. PM me if you want any more info, I moved here 15 years ago and really like it.

charlyparl Tue 15-Mar-16 09:31:16

Hi there... We're relocating from West London to Peterborough and have been looking at Werrington Village as it's pretty close to the train station and seems to have a good range of facilities. Can anyone tell me what the area is like? Would it be a good place to bring up two young children? Werrington Village, whilst pretty, seems quite small and surrounded by some very large estates. Are these good estates... or are some areas a bit rough and to be avoided? Also, does anyone have any thoughts on the local primary schools - Werrington, William Law, Welbourne and Peakirk cum Glinton? I would be so grateful if anyone was to take the time to respond to this post. It's so hard to get a real idea of somewhere when you're just visiting and don't have friends or family living there. THANK YOU!

BigglesBoggles Tue 15-Mar-16 10:05:12

Werrington is generally a nice area, and the older part (Werrington Village) is thought to be the nicest part to live in.

It's popular with families because of the various open spaces and play areas. Cuckoo's Hollow is also generally a nice place to go for walks. It's set up as a kind of nature reserve. (You can google it to see what it looks like).

You would also be fairly close to Werrington centre, which has a few shops (including Tesco, I think), a sports centre and a small library.

Peterborough's road system (the parkway) means that if you have a car it's fairly easy to get from one area to another, so you wouldn't necessarily be stuck with whatever is in Werrington. If you need to rely on public transport, the bus service is expensive and not all that great. (£4+ for a day ticket for an adult, and the child prices are almost as expensive as the adult tickets.)

I only know the schools by reputation. William Law is generally thought to be a good school. It's a C of E school though, and some people are put off by the emphasis on the religious side of things. It's a big school (400+ children) which means that the resources and opportunities tend to be good, but that can be offset by having to share them with so many other children. It really depends on what you're looking for.

Werrington primary tends to be the school that people choose if they prefer something a bit quieter than William Law. I don't know about the other schools.

The main secondary school is Ken Stimpson, which seems to have a good reputation as well as the use of the facilities at Werrington sports centre.

The nearest estates that I can think of are 'new' Werrington (tends to be fairly nice), Walton (not a great reputation and home of the much-disliked Voyager secondary school), and Gunthorpe (not too bad). None of them are in the same league as the notoriously horrible areas.

Peterborough city centre is not particularly nice. Many of the better shops have either left completely or have moved to one of the nicer shopping parks that are dotted around the city. The shopping parks tend to be much nicer and generally have free parking too.

Verbena37 Wed 27-Apr-16 14:45:42

We live in an historic market town the other side of Peterborough, with lovely schools.
If you didn't want to live in Peterborough itself, you could always look at towns and villages nearby. We are only a 15/20 minute from the city centre and are surrounded by lovely rolling fields and woodland, on the edge of Rockingham Forest. Loads of people who live here drive into Peterborough every day as it's such an easy commute but enables you access to good schools and lovely countryside too.
Good luck with your move.

mrsscottishbear Tue 03-May-16 15:10:01

Thanks for all your help everyone have moved in now x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now