Local Talk

Derriford or Torbay - any views???

(9 Posts)
CupcakesHay Tue 27-Jul-10 19:41:42

Hello

I'm due end of Jan 2011, and I've been given a choice of Derriford or Torbay. I live aborad as my husband works for Foreign Office, so I'm coming to Devon as my parents live there....

BUT - i have no idea how to choose.... does anyone have any advice or point of view they'd care to share?

Thanks
Hayley

PestoEatsPasties Tue 27-Jul-10 19:43:55

Won't it depend on whereabouts you'll be living. I mean those are quite a distance apart, you'll want the closest to you, surely?

CupcakesHay Tue 27-Jul-10 19:58:35

Only a mile or so in it - My parents are in kingsbridge - so 16 miles to one and 17 to the other!

PestoEatsPasties Wed 28-Jul-10 09:54:15

bump for yooooo

Devendra Mon 09-Aug-10 06:40:29

I have had 2 very positive experiences of Derriford. Its also really easy to get to (road links etc) Torbay deoesnt have abrilliant reputation and I know its a nightmare to get to... hope that helps! Much easier to get to Plymouth from KB, the roads are straight through.

ben5 Mon 09-Aug-10 06:49:27

had ds2 at derriford. the room was big and if anything does go wrong they have a great special care unit. the staff were frindly. i would have another child there( but very unlikely to!!those days are over!!). the only problem is parking at derriford. it's a nightmare and expensive. have no idea if torbay is easier.
have heard that derriford has a new one way system that seemed to be a nightmare but haven't lived there for a year.
my mum and dad have been to torbay, not to have a baby of course!! but there experince was good.( my dad was taken in by amblance the last 2 times so they didn't really have a problem with parking!) they said the staff were friendly and the food wasn't to bad
good luck

carve133 Tue 10-Aug-10 14:18:33

Derriford. Definitely. DH has worked as a paediatrician in both.

Good luck smile

Derriford has shut one of their maternity wards (to turn it into a gynae ward) so now they only have one. My friend said it is total chaos there. People are having c sections and going within 1 or 2 days as there just isn't the room.

Don't know anything about Torbay though.

sungirltan Sat 14-Aug-10 21:53:07

had horrid crash c section at derrifod last year. otherwise theres not much in it except iirc if anything oes wrong at torbay you might end up at R D & E in exeter because they have more equipment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now