Local Talk

Bere Alston

(7 Posts)
jemimapyjama Thu 08-Mar-12 18:30:09

Hello

I'm looking to move to the Plymouth area and am off to look at a house in Bere Alston next week. I have done as much research as I can about schools and the like but wanted to get peoples general opinions if they know the village.

I live miles and miles away at the moment so I won't be able to spend much time there getting the feel of the place before I move.

So does anyone live there? Know the village? Think it's great? Or awful?

Thanks in advance

My friends Mum and Dad live there and they love it. Bit too far out of town for me but if you like the moors and village life it's lovely.

jemimapyjama Fri 09-Mar-12 12:09:55

Thanks for that, I'm hoping I will, I'm looking for a quieter life for sure. There's also Horrabridge which looks nice and has some nice, cheap houses for sale.

chocoraisin Wed 14-Mar-12 14:16:42

Horrabridge is nice, I have a few friends with children in the local nursery who like it and the primary school has apparently got a great new head. Other than that I'd say it's v. quiet, however you are 7 mins drive (I timed it when I was house hunting!) from Tavistock which is a decent size market town (very country) and only 20mins from Plymouth which can be great if you're commuting to work. Best of both worlds, and affordable too... There's some lovely old houses if you can be bothered to do some work on them, 3-4 bedrooms for around 200K which can't be bad!

Queenbee121 Sun 02-Jun-13 21:45:13

I am in bere Alston. We have been here 2 years...it's lovely if you like village life, I do not do much myself in the village but have kids in the school so end up knowing a few faces. I am not too much into the nitties of the village s

Queenbee121 Sun 02-Jun-13 21:46:03

I am in bere Alston. We have been here 2 years...it's lovely if you like village life, I do not do much myself in the village but have kids in the school so end up knowing a few faces. I am not too much into the nitties of the village s

Devonshiredumpling142 Thu 12-Dec-13 23:27:25

Did you decide to move to Bere Alston>???

I grew up in the village and stayed there until i was 19.Its a very pretty village which is surrouned by open fields.It also has its own railway station which runs regularly between plymouth and gunnislake.Over the last 10yrs it has lost most of its shops but still has a lot of character.The main down sides are;
Extremely quite, you can go days without seeing anyone!!
A large elderly population
Everyone will know your business even if you dont want them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now