Local Talk

Moving to Petersfield-advice please.

(6 Posts)
hampshirenewbie Tue 22-Jan-13 13:56:53

Hello, we've been thinking of moving to Petersfield for a while now (currently just outside Guildford), and I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer.

We are going to initially rent and will be looking for a 3-4 bed house. My ds is home-schooled due to ill health so schools are not an issue.
I would prefer to not be too rural and have reasonable access to town, shops etc (we drive but would like access to public transport to be fairly easy).

I don't know that much about where to look in terms of housing and would really appreciate any advice you can give. TIA

completelybonkers Wed 30-Jan-13 20:20:09

Do it!!!

I moved to the area (from London) about 15 months ago and have absolutely NO regrets: great town, lovely countryside, plenty to do, quick to go back up the A3. My 8-year old DS is very happy here too and hasn't looked back once.

With regard to housing, the Herne Farm Estate may suit you as it's easy walking distance of town with a pedestrian/cycling route by a brook running through the middle of it. I would personally avoid the area to the south/west (Rushes Road), and roads nearer the A3 will obviously have a bit of traffic noise. The most expensive area is of course around the pond and heath. Ramshill gets very busy in the morning rush-hour but, if that is not a problem, take a look at the large development opposite Churcher's College (Barentin Way area) as there are lots of modern family homes there. Penns Farm to the south-east has the Taro Leisure Centre and Council offices with a good stock of houses nearby but that location isn't quite so convenient for walking into town.

DH plays golf and is very happy with the Petersfield Course - there is also a smaller Pay & Play course to the south of the town.

Chichester, Portsmouth, Guildford, Farnham and Winchester are all only about half an hour away.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more information.

Good luck!

sarahsouthsea Wed 24-Apr-13 23:21:42

Do it! We moved to Petersfield Aug 12 and it's fab! Nice people, great market, Petersfield Youth Theatre is brilliant, Open Air Pool just opened last week for the summer, lots going on, good restaurants. More a Guardian than a Telegraph kind of place, state secondary TPS is Outstanding and most town children go there even those families who could afford private school.

Buy in town, then you never need to drive anywhere as everything walkable.

Joey8 Tue 20-Aug-13 17:40:55

I agree with everyone do ittt!

I grew up in Petersfield and lived there up until a few years ago. Was sad to leave but due to financial situations we had no choice.

Obviously I am biased having grown up there, but Petersfield is such a lovely town and the heath (Petersfield lake) is so beautiful.

We used to live on the estate just at the top of the causeway (where the roundabout is) which was ideal as you were so close to town and the big tescos was only a 5-10 minute walk away.

Gosh, I remember back when tescos was first being built!

The town square always plays host to lovely festivities as well, in fact I think there is one coming up!

Petersfield has grown so much in recent years, but I still feel there is a big sense of community closeness.

I had all my schooling there from Petersfield Infants, to Herne Junior School to TPS. TPS has obviously changed a lot since I went there though haha, its got a good reputation now!

Good luck with the move, and I am sure you will find Petersfield a wonderful place to live.

lea192 Wed 30-Oct-13 08:55:02

Hi, just been reading these threads, can you give some updates please? We're going to be moving to the Petersfield area, we like Clanfield, but would appreciate any advice. We have 2 kids (12&14) so want somewhere with good schools and stuff to do please. Thanks for any help

LocalEditorPortsmouth Wed 30-Oct-13 17:10:52

Both are lovely to visit, but I don't know what it's like to live there. I'll put a tweet out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now