Local Talk

Southsea Schools

(10 Posts)
4oclockwakeup Mon 06-Sep-10 20:22:39

has anyone got any experience / views on state schools in southsea - in particular primary and infants. Have recently moved to the area and planning to buy but keen to hear any views on the schools

My dd loved Goldsmith infants my ds is about to start there that is off of fawcett road. In 5 years I have never had a problem there.

This might be helpful www.portsmouth.gov.uk/learning/16598.html

Most of the primary schools in Southsea are faith schools.

Others specifically in Southsea are: Devonshire Infants, Southsea Infants, Cumberland Infants and Wimborne Infants

Cottage grove Primary and Somers Park Primary are in slightly more deprived ares but still classed as Southsea.

4oclockwakeup Tue 07-Sep-10 19:51:21

great thanks - good to know - have got a list of the schools and had a look at the catchment area maps and ofsteds but keen to hear any views from parents, so thanks

dustycups Tue 07-Sep-10 19:55:10

to be honest i have never really heard any bad word about any of the schools in the southsea/milton/eastney area except milton park primary school.

i would happily send my children to any of the schools!

unfortunally there isnt many mners who live in actual portsmouth!

just word of advice Ofsted gradings changed September 2009 so a good in 2008 is equivalent to a satisfactory in 2010 they regraded things which happens often so look at whole report not just overall judgment

4oclockwakeup Wed 08-Sep-10 14:54:49

that is reassuring to know dustycups thanks. and thanks for the tip on the ofsted gradings LM - wasn't aware of that. my dd is only 20 months but want to buy next year and hopefully not move for a few years so would be good to know we are in an area with decent schools

My friend has just removed her DS from St Jude's and sent him to Mayville (private) as she was really unhappy with the school. I believe that the problems stem from the Head being off sick...the Ofsted results are significantly worse this year.

scoodycat Tue 27-Sep-11 09:45:32

If you're in the fawcett road area goldsmith is a must! It's a fab little school.
I think fernhurst is the next step up and not far from it, there is also southsea infant schoolwhich was our second choice.

scoodycat I bet I know you which year group is your child in?

IfOnlyTheBeachWasSandy Sat 16-Mar-13 18:01:34

We have sent DS to Wimborne Infants, and despite a lukewarm Ofsted, we have been really happy with our choice. They have been really happy to have ad hoc conversations about progress and I feel confident DS is happy. Southsea Infants on the other hand seem to like to keep the parents at a distance and there is little opportunity to speak to a teacher, from what I hear. Good luck with the move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now