Local Talk

Any mums to be in Denmead area??

(15 Posts)
EmMcC Wed 03-Aug-11 15:37:04

Hi there,

I'm 32 years old and due to have a baby girl in Oct 2011 (I already have a teenage son). I live in the Denmead area and am hoping to find other mums or mums to be locally to chat with or meet up.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Aug-11 15:38:38

I'm in Waterlooville with a 9 month DD. I feel for you being preggers in this heat! I hated it last year.

EmMcC Wed 03-Aug-11 15:44:24

Hey,

Thanks, I am currently layed out on my bed melting from the heat! I have to say I am looking forward to meeting the little madam & getting my body back.
I bet it's just as difficult keeping your little one cool & entertained?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Aug-11 16:17:44

Definitely - it's too hot to take her outside (although we had a quick frolic in the paddling pool). She's very active as well, constantly on the move! Is yours definitely a girl then?

EmMcC Wed 03-Aug-11 16:42:50

Paddling pool sounds like a good idea = )
They were not too sure at first scan and said they think it's a girl so we booked a private scan where they confirmed it.
I'm really happy it's a girl as we already have my son so I'm looking forward to all things girlie.

Do you go to any local groups with your little one? I joined bumps & babies in Denmead but was the only one with a bump & no baby!

Did you have your birth at QA? If so it would be great to know what you thought of the hospital as I'm v nervous?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Aug-11 17:45:38

Oh congrats, having a girl is very special smile I wanted a boy originally but I'm sooooo glad she is who she is, couldn't imagine her being anything else!

I had her in B5 at QA which is the midwife led part of the hospital - I'd recommend going there rather than the main labour ward as it's much nicer and the midwives are lovely. Have you done a tour? It's a really good idea if you haven't yet. Where did you have your son?

Groupswise there isn't a lot round here that I know of but then I'm new to the area, having moved here from Petersfield when I became pg as we couldn't afford a house there! The group at the Links Children Centre is quite cliquey and a bit scary. I think there's one at the community centre in Lovedean but haven't been yet. Do you drive? Are you going to do NCT classes?

mollymooo Wed 03-Aug-11 20:08:25

Hello I hope you don't mind me butting in - I was just googling mother and baby groups in Denmead area and your tread came up. I am 34 and live in Denmead and am expecting my first baby in November ( I have a step daughter who is now 10). Most of my friends either have older children or have taken the decision not to have any so I would like to join a mother and baby group locally. I have booked an NCT class in Petersfield but I don't really know what to expect!!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Aug-11 20:32:51

Hi Mollymoo! We went to the Petersfield NCT classes which we found really helpful, not least because we all still meet up now. Congrats on your pregnancy smile

mollymooo Wed 03-Aug-11 20:47:27

Thanks, I'm a bit nervous about the NCT classes because iv heard mixed reviews about them! Bit worried that they will be a bit graphic (I am a big baby and frightened to death about the birth) part of me doesn't want to know too much. I am looking forward to meeting new people though!

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 03-Aug-11 21:50:38

They are pretty graphic! But I think forewarned is forearmed.... And it's especially good for your DH / DP as it tells them exactly what to expect. My DH knew nothing to start with but became very well versed in all things labour. Worth it just for that IMO. And actually, going over all the graphic details of the birth actually helps to desensitise it in a way. Although the birthing video they showed at the first session definitely made me a bit shock

EmMcC Thu 04-Aug-11 15:46:23

Hi, sorry for delay in replying.

I had my son at St Marys which is no longer there. I have been advised that I have to have my baby on the main labour ward as I am a high risk case.

I know what you mean about groups being cliquey that's why I avoided them with my son, the only one I have been to this time is NCT yoga which is fun. It must be hard for you moving to a new area with a little one, do you have famly in locally?

EmMcC Thu 04-Aug-11 15:56:30

Just saw your post Mollymoo,

there is a great centre next to Denmead school called Happy Valley, they have loads on for new mums but not a lot for pregnant mums! I drop into to a group called bumps & babies there on Mondays at 10:30 to 1pm which is quite nice.

I thought about going to an NCT preparation class but didn't fancy it plus my hubby is v squeamish. I'm always Reading articles about mums who did attend them and they seem to make really good friends there.

How are you finding being pregnant in this heat? I'm sure I am actually melting = )

mollymooo Thu 04-Aug-11 18:53:20

Ooh I might have to try the bumps and babies as it's only down the road from me. When are you due? I am due mid November but I am trying not to think about it at the moment as it scares me to death!!! I think I am going to go to the midwife run centre in QA but still haven't decided yet.
I know what you mean about your hubby and the NCT classes - mine really doesnt want to go so I have told him he only has to come to the first few!
The heat isn't really bothering me to much (I hate being cold).

EmMcC Thu 04-Aug-11 19:27:32

Hey Mollymooo,

I'm planning to go next Monday so you should come along. My little lady is due 5th October which feels like ages away! I'm not too scared as I kinda know what's coming (all be it 15 years ago!) you just have to remember that labour & the birth won't last forever.

Are you working at the moment? I'm not and find myself going a bit stir crazy some days.

I bet your step daughter is excited about the new baby? My son has no interest at all but that's teenage boys for you.

mollymooo Fri 05-Aug-11 08:51:53

I have a midwife appointment this Monday but I will definitely go if it is on the following week?
I am working full time at the moment but I have lots of holiday left to take and am planning to start winding down in September.
I kind of understand how your son feels - I can't imagine many teenage boys are that interested in babies! However you will have a baby sitter handy!!
My step daughter is lovely and her face lit up when we told her (we were so worried she would be jealous and react badly to the news), she is insisting that I have a boy as they are "way more cute that girls"!! Tried to explain that it's a 50/50 chance but she's not having it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now