Local Talk

Mickland PreSchool or Hemdean House Nursery School

(3 Posts)
SearchSquad Mon 30-May-11 08:49:15

I have very recently moved to Reading (Luscinia View, near Tesco Extra) and am looking for preschools for my DS 2.5 years old. I have not been schooled in the UK and have no idea about the schooling system here.

So far we've got acceptance offers from Mickland PreSchool (Ofsted outstanding, state) & Hemdean House (independent, good ISI Inspection report).

School fees for Hemdean House doesn't amount to much right now because of Early Years Funding which DS will get once he is 3 years old.

Does anyone here have any idea about these two schools? I can really use some guidance, esp. since we don't know a single local person here with school going kids. Thank You!

bajn Mon 10-Jun-13 13:56:27

Hi SearchSquad,

I am exactly in the same situation that you were in. Could you please let us know what you decided in the end ? We are also in Luscinia View smile

Many thanks!

MammaCav Thu 20-Jun-13 10:52:17

My DD went to Newbridge so I don't have personal experience but I know people who were very happy with Micklands and, if you are in that catchment, Micklands is one of the most improved primary schools in the area - it came second in the league tables last year, behind St Martin's.

It is a hard decision - I let my DD 'lead'. We visited the potentials and spent some time there to see how she liked them and to get a proper 'feel' for the different places.

In the end, for nursery and primary school choices, I didn't consider tables and so on - as long as they have Ofsted 'good', you should probably base it on the 'vibe' you get from the place - are the staff happy, are the children relaxed, is it a nice space and then on convenience.

Best of luck, not that you'll need it as we are extremely lucky in Caversham - most (nearly all) our school are very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now