Moving to Ireland and would like to link up with mumsnetters there

(66 Posts)
dustythedolphin Fri 20-Nov-09 14:14:19

We're moving to Co Clare in the new year and I am wondering whether there is a Mumsnet Irish thread (did a search but couldn't find a recent one) or any meet ups in Ireland?

I will be working across the west/mid west Region and have 3 DCs aged: 9, 6 and 2

Anyone out there who fancies chatting online and
/or meeting up if geographically feasible?

dustythedolphin Mon 23-Nov-09 18:16:41

bump

sobloodystupid Mon 23-Nov-09 18:21:13

hello dustythedolphin. Luckily I'm in Clare and am ready to assist(poor you!)
I haven't heard of any meet ups but I've not been very active due to new ds. Generally the Irish thread isn't terribly active, we're too laid back methinks...

Doobydoo Mon 23-Nov-09 18:28:27

Hello.
We moved back to UK end of March.We were in County Waterford.
Try www.rollercoaster.ie...they have lots of info and discussion groups and it is split into areas as well.
All the best for you and your familysmile

KnickKnack Mon 23-Nov-09 18:29:00

Irish threads pop up now and then but tbh they always seem to fizzle out grin
I always end up forgetting who lives in Ireland until they mention it again on a thread.
Don't think we've ever had a meet up here, but I think a few have gone over to one of the big meet ups.

I'm up near the north

KnickKnack Mon 23-Nov-09 18:31:03

I always found rollercoaster to be a bit wishy washy but its worth having a look, you might bit up some useful bits n bobs there

E45 Mon 23-Nov-09 18:35:43

The Irish economy is on it's knees, are you sure you are doing the right thing ?

Doobydoo Mon 23-Nov-09 19:25:10

Agree KnickKnack...but they do have meetups and good for finding your way round re childcare,employment[or lack of]etc.

Doobydoo Mon 23-Nov-09 19:26:05

Agree E45,Hence our main reason for movesad

dustythedolphin Tue 24-Nov-09 08:55:24

Hi thanks for your replies

SBS (waves) whereabouts in Clare are you? I'm flying over tomoz to find a house to rent, probably in Miltown Malbay/Mullagh/Spanish Point area

E45 - well that a crucial point about the economy but I agreed with DH to give a two year period for me to find a job (he's retiring) and have had two good job offers with the first month of looking. I think I have just been lucky with the timing. I agree its risky though. We're not selling UK house, but renting for first 1-2 years just in case it all goes pear shaped and I end up with no work and have to come back

There are some positives though: better quality of life, fab schools, MUCH cheaper housing than UK

Knick knack where abouts are you?

Doobydoo - thanks I will check out that website

dustythedolphin Tue 24-Nov-09 18:33:34

Bump

Kerrymumbles Tue 24-Nov-09 18:51:12

i'm in kerry!

i don't get up to Clare much though

dustythedolphin Fri 27-Nov-09 13:41:16

Hi Kerry 9waves)

Do any of you know whether, if we bring out TVs over from the UK, they would work in the Republuic of Ireland. Would we need to get them re-tuned or anything? <clueless emoticon>

BloodRedTulips Fri 27-Nov-09 14:27:52

yes, us irish cailiní really aren't the best at keeping in touch blush

i'm sure i have a few MNers near me but either they're avoiding me because i sound like a nutjob (very possible) or we're just shite at arranging meetups

i'm up in roscommon so not much good to you but welcome to the country grin

tv should be fine, you won't have to do anything other than the usual retune when moving house... or better yet get sky and the lovely sky man will do it for you (and fix your floor while he's got the drill out if he's like mine grin)

dustythedolphin Fri 27-Nov-09 17:39:44

Blood Red grin!!

Yes we intend to get Sky! We missed our plane back the other night and were saved when we booked into the B&B at the airport, turned on the TV in our room to find, to my great joy, Dr Who was on - courtesy of Sky!

Essential for any parent - thanks for the tip about the TV - will take a couple with us, rather than having to buy new TVs and get Sky Man to sort us out wink

Kerry - did you used to be KerryMum?

I'm in Donegal

Are you or your DH Irish? or local to the area you're moving to? If not, be prepared to forever be known as blow-ins wink grin

Be prepared also for a very laid back way of living...
we don't go to the pub until 11pm,
if we say "see you around 6, or the such and such event starts at 3...we mean at least 1hr later!
I am renowned in my family for always turning up early (ie on time!)

anything you need to know just shout, we're a friendly old bunch

dustythedolphin Fri 27-Nov-09 23:15:15

Thanks Knick Knack !

DH is aboriginal australian and I am of Irish descent

He used to live in the village 20 years ago and was a bit of a local hero, because of the shared history of English colonialism, ppl used to come up to him in the street and say "are the English still giving you a hard time then?" grinsterday Londoner inside me wink

I am starting to understand about the laidbackness ....and trying to say goodbye to the stressed out "I want it and I want it yesterday" Londoner inside me wink

dustythedolphin Fri 27-Nov-09 23:16:15

Oops, not sure what happened there! blush

Kerrymumbles Sat 28-Nov-09 00:39:14

yes i used to be kerrymum. I had tv from belfast that I used when i moved down to kerry with no problems. so i don't think uk tv would be problem though i could be wrong....

Your TV will definitely work fine here, as will anything and everything else you want to bring with you (probably including your sterling)
we use the same wattage for electrical appliances
there is no "regional problem" with DVD/games etc as exists between UK and America

how is the area you're moving to coping with the weather at the moment? any flooding in your area?

dustythedolphin Sat 28-Nov-09 15:50:48

KK and KM thanks for the telly afvice

Can I ask you about a couple of other things. I understand there is no NHS equivalent. What do ppl do about healthcare and dentists, particularly for the children?

Thanks again

dustythedolphin Sat 28-Nov-09 16:11:24

KK the area we are going to was fine actually, though Ennis and Shannon seem to be on flood planes and ppl there are suffering terribly, many homes and businesses are under water

BloodRedTulips Sat 28-Nov-09 19:27:11

dusty, low incomes are eligable for a medical card or gp visit card depending on means but i'm not sure you'd qualify so soon after moving.

for the rest you either need to have insurance which will cover hospital fees and possibly dentist (depending on cover) but you'll have to pay for gp and pharmacy.

You could chance doing without, hospitals will treat you with no insurance unlike in the US but the bills will be enormous... hundreds per day for a hospital bed, thousands for scans, etc.

GP's are expensive, 50-80 euros per visit depending on whereabouts you are and pharmacies can be very pricey too... although you can sign up to the drug payment scheme to ensure you never have to pay more than 80 a month but afaik you still pay up front and they refund the differance at a later point.

To add to what BRT said, even if you think you are on a reasonable wage its worth applying for the medical card (it covers GP visit, out of hours GP, everyday dentist, many hospital treatments, prescriptions and more), even if you don't qualify you may get a GP card (which just covers visits to doc).

children get free dental care via school dentist.

Our local citizens advice is an absolute mine of information, she tells you everything you need to know and more (ie you don't need to know exactly what to ask for...does that make sense??)

You also pay to have your dustbins collected (we pay per wheelie bin or black bag). I recycle almost everything so bin charges are minute.

The offset to all these charges is the fact that we dont pay council tax, water rates etc. ie you are only paying for the services you actually use. When I lived in UK and paid council tax I always felt like I was paying for services I rarely used (eg doc and dentist), so I prefer the system here
<<disclaimer: I know this is a massive over-simplification of the situation!!>>

when are you moving? (too lazy laid back to scan back up!)

BloodRedTulips Sun 29-Nov-09 11:41:02

totally agree with knick knack on that score... we have a better system in place for those who are badly off and those who have to pay do only pay for what they use... and there are ways to cut down on costs if you want. for example bringing stuff to the dump and recycling centres yourself works out cheaper than paying for wheelie bins, although is more hassle.

if you shell out for a good health insurance policy almost everything will be covered, some even give money back for gp visits etc, although if ye don't go to the docs often you're probably better off with a basic policy that will cover you for emergancy hospital trips but nothing else.

TinyPawz Sun 29-Nov-09 13:10:25

<hijack> Kerry, whereabouts in Belfast are you from?

dustythedolphin Sun 29-Nov-09 20:23:13

Thanks for excellent advice KK and BRT, might come back for some more if thats OK

dustythedolphin Mon 30-Nov-09 11:20:04

Hiya I have yet another query

(DH was very happy about the bins BTW wink)

Does anyone know of good Sky deals available in Ireland, on TV/Broadband/Sky TV

We have one here which is £26 pre. month which includes free Broadband & landline calls, and kids channels. We pay an extra fiver and get free calls to USA, Ireland, Oz, Canadar and six other European countries. It would be great if something similar is available in Ireland

Thanks again

dustythedolphin Mon 30-Nov-09 11:21:01

Hiya I have yet another query

(DH was very happy about the bins BTW wink)

Does anyone know of good Sky deals available in Ireland, on TV/Broadband/Sky TV

We have one here which is £26 pre. month which includes free Broadband & landline calls, and kids channels. We pay an extra fiver and get free calls to USA, Ireland, Oz, Canadar and six other European countries. It would be great if something similar is available in Ireland

Thanks again

BloodRedTulips Mon 30-Nov-09 14:09:13

Sky don't do broadband over here, just tv (unfortunately)

If NTL are available where you're moving to they do broadband and digital tv packages but their dig tv isn't great channel wise and their customer service when you need help is pants.

i think there might be a few other companies doing packages but it depends very much on location, alot of things aren't available in the rural areas (like where we are, we have to use a broadband supplier that puts up a dish and it's pricey)

eircom do landline and broadband packages but i don't know what they're like.

afaik there isn't any company that does all three.

dustythedolphin Wed 02-Dec-09 10:18:33

Thanks BRT

Oh dear I have another Q (this "lets meet new friends thread has evolved into a "Q&A" session, sorry aout that but its really useful)

My DH wants to buy a car in the next couple of weeks to take over but someone said you have to have owned it for 6 months to take it to Ireland? I have no idea about this and it would really scupper our plans. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Doobydoo Wed 02-Dec-09 10:35:06

Hi.You can take the car over but you have to pay a tax on it.When we took ours we had it for less than 6 months and you pay a percentage of it's value.Irish value,not uK value.Our car[Basic nissan almeira]was valued at a lot more in Ireland than in Uk so cost ALOT!

Doobydoo Wed 02-Dec-09 10:51:34

Think it is called Vehicle Registration Tax[VRT]

dustythedolphin Wed 02-Dec-09 15:25:07

Ouch!!!

Thanks for the advice

KnickKnackRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 02-Dec-09 18:40:02

When some people moved back here they kept their car registered in UK until they had owned it for 6 months (or however long it was supposed to be!) before switching to Irish reg...thus avoiding VRT

You may have more moral scruples than them wink

It may be more practical to wait and buy a car here?

I bough a new car this year, checked prices north and south...the north was only about 500 euro cheaper than in Donegal (ones exchange rate and VRT were taken into account), so not a great deal cheaper in North. Its worth looking around, my car was several grand more expensive further south/away from Donegal (although this seems to be the case with practically everything you can buy)

Doobydoo Wed 02-Dec-09 18:49:35

Ah yes.We heard tales of that toosmile
Thing is if you buy 2nd hand in South you need to make sure it hasn't been lost down apothole for too long.Some roads are better but loads are in really poor condition which may mean cars have been through the mill abit.

sobloodystupid Wed 02-Dec-09 19:06:28

Hey dusty, I'm not too far from Miltown Malbay/ Spanish Point at all. You've picked a beautiful part of the county that's for sure... I'm nearer Kilrush but happy to help. We use Sky for all our telly and dh has never complained (he's English so it's vital to get "proper " telly) it costs ?32 a month but you can get it for twenty euro for the basic package. We use O2 broadband which is excellent that costs twenty a month too.

You can avoid the VRT as knickknack said already, depends what kind of car you want I spose -you could check out the revenue website revenue dot ie. With regard to Healthcare, English people are entitled to free hospital care particularly under E111 rules (there's a reciprocal arrangement in England for the Irish methinks)- but practically speaking, I think at least 50% of the population have private health plans, you could look up vhi dot ie to get a general idea of what it might cost your family. Visits to the doctor here cost 40 or 5O euro, which you can claim tax back on after you spend over 125 in a year...

Keep on asking the questions, I'm happy to help if I can smile

dustythedolphin Wed 02-Dec-09 19:54:11

grin at losing the car down a pothole. That'll be the Kerry cars then? wink

SBS yes that's not to far at all and I totally sympathise with your DH on the "proper telly" front! We are planning to bring our TVs with us, having forked out an arm and a leg for them I can't imagine life without them now! Or rather I can't think how to keep the kids quiet for 5 mins without Sky Tv on a big telly!!

Is there a big Tescos in Kilrush then? I wonder of they do deliveries to Miltown Malbay? grin You can take a girl out of London, but you can never take London (and Tescos online deliveries) out of the Girl. I bet they don't but never mind...

So I am starting to "get it" on the car front, we can keep it registered in the Uk for first 6 months? We will still have a UK address for 1st year until we settle, mainly 'cos I am scared I may lose job due to lack of funding or something shock so that shouldn't be a problem. I was actually visualising keeping it parked on someone's drive here for 6 months then flying over to collect it !! Hopefully it won't come to that. I might google to do some price comparisons. I did read about all the teachers fleeing to the north on 24 Nov to do their Christmas shopping because of the cheaper prices!

Can we drive it round for 6 months then in Ireland without fear of arrest? Do I have to my driving license after 3 months?

I'm sure we'll get to grips with it all - can't wait to get there..<scratches head>

dustythedolphin Wed 02-Dec-09 19:56:39

Sorry that should have read: "Do we have transfer to our driving licenses after 3 months?"

KnickKnackRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 02-Dec-09 21:14:07

we drove around for several months with UK tax and address I think, cant remember all the details (I can ask english exH next time he's online?). But all depends on whether you are willing to take the risk (or do you want to do things 100% by the book?)
He never changed his licence to irish despite living here for many years, but I changed mine when I knew for definite I would be staying here (I dont know the legalities of that though).

re googling car prices, the price I paid for my new car bore absolutely no resemblance to the price quoted online, it was much much cheaper (by thousands) when taking face to face with a dealer.

KnickKnackRoastingOnAnOpenFire Wed 02-Dec-09 21:21:54

don't buy into all the "cheap north" hype. its more of a "way further down south" vs "lots of places north of midlands"
eg prices in Dublin/cork/etc are more expensive then donegal, but donegal is no more expensive than N.Ireland (obviously there are plenty of exceptions, but in general...)
A neighbour bought a top in N.Ireland at the weekend for stg£10 but it was only 8 euro (maybe stg£7 ish)in Donegal!!!

sobloodystupid Thu 03-Dec-09 17:51:26

Nah you don't have to change your driving license dusty. Dh only changed his to the Irish one 2 years ago (having used his English one here for 11 years previously) Only 2 days later he got penalty points! grinThere had been a loophole whereby the Gardai couldn't put points on a foreign license even if the person was resident in Ireland. I think that has been sorted by now alas! But applying for an Irish one is dead easy - so no worries on that score. Incidentally, I do know someone who flogs sells very good second hand cars. wink
Tesco deliver to us but it's from the Ennis store, if you go on the Tesco ie website input your address and they'll tell you if they cover the area...

Aargh about the public servants fleeing North shock, I was manfully striding up and down the picket line

KnickKnackRoastingOnAnOpenFire Thu 03-Dec-09 18:53:07

I don't know if its still the case, but I lost a category from my Uk licence when I switched over as there was no equivalent category here. In fact I think this is why exH didn't change his over. I can't remember what category it was, something along the lines of a large vehicle (bigger than van, smaller than bus)??

dustythedolphin Thu 03-Dec-09 19:11:17

KK thanks for the advice ...Well I have three points on my UK license so when I transfer it they will miraculously dissappear and I shall be all squeaky and clean again wink. I drove for 20 years and then got knabbed TWICE for speeding within 6 weeks blush. Got three points asnd gor sent on speed awareness training (which was actually very good)

SBS will try Tesco when I get an address the, thanks for the tip. Does your car dealer friend have a website? I could have a peak. We are after a small cheap to run car, as we have a MPV bratmobile but are after a 2nd car to get me to work. Under 45k mileague and a good runner and errm, cheap grin

sobloodystupid Fri 04-Dec-09 15:07:08

Knick Knack you're right, under his English license dh could drive a minibus, which he can't under his Irish license - not a problem unless our little family expands pretty quicky grin.
Yep dusty try ollie kierce cars dot ie, I think blush

KnickKnackRoastingOnAnOpenFire Fri 04-Dec-09 15:26:59

ah yes the old minibus category, oh how it miss it grin

dustythedolphin Fri 04-Dec-09 23:23:47

Thanks SBS will have a peek at the website

dustythedolphin Tue 08-Dec-09 11:37:38

Oooh soz but have another query about cars - what about road tax, can we just continue with Uk one for a few months then, until we get round to registering vehicle in Ireland?

<scratches head>

dustythedolphin Wed 09-Dec-09 18:48:52

Bump

sobloodystupid Wed 09-Dec-09 18:55:59

Yep, dh tells me that's fine just as long as your English road tax is up to date cos obviously you can't renew it over here. But you will have to register the car, I think you have 3 months grace or so. But then no one will know how long you've been over here driving around unless you're stopped by the Guards on your first day - very unlikely as English cars are very "common" here grin. But then again you may not fancy a Bonnie and Clyde type adventure...

dustythedolphin Wed 09-Dec-09 18:58:59

<visualises herself as Bonnie from B&C>

Thanks SBS wink x

dustythedolphin Thu 17-Dec-09 16:41:00

Hallooo - have another two local queries:

SBS you may know...wink

Do you know anywhere local (or online who can deliver) who do ultr cheap furniture like this type of thing www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8758828/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417 894/c_2/3%7C15701148%7CBedroom+furniture%7C14418001/c_3/4%7Ccat_14418001%7CCanvas+storage%7C14418016 .htm
We need a couple of wardrobes for the house but its probably cheaper to buy locally than to ship from the UK

Also, any tips on any nice restaurants in the area, or areas where we'd find choice?

Cheers

sobloodystupid Sun 20-Dec-09 20:58:49

Hi dusty, the nearest Argos store is in Limerick and they deliver for a fee of about ?40, there are a couple of stores, Brodericks of Killanena (North Clare) who are very reasonable and have good quality stuff... I will rack my brains for you.

The best restaurant I have ever eaten in is in your area: its The Black Oak is between Miltown Malbay and Lahinch and it's fantastic and brilliant value, great for seafood and great for everything really. We've only ever eaten there a deux it's so nice we didn't want to spoil it by bringing the kids grin. Coogans in Miltown was always very nice, but you have the Armada, the Bellbridge and Admiralty Lodge (all hotels) that offer the usual stuff. Ballyvaughan and Doolin specialise in seafood dishes, so you've plenty of options. I'm not sure that there's a Chinese in Miltown though...smile

dustythedolphin Mon 21-Dec-09 09:26:10

SBS ooh tthat's really useful local info, thanks! Just the kind of stuff I need to know

I'm not fussed about a chinese TBH as I'm not keen oin Chineses food. We had our worst ever curry in Lahinch but I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but its pone of the last buildings on the left, just as you drive out of Lahinch on the N67 going south tto Miltown Malbay. It was almost inedible

dustythedolphin Mon 21-Dec-09 09:26:28

blush at typos sorry

sobloodystupid Mon 21-Dec-09 19:05:16

I know the one that you mean, near the Church and Youth Hostel! We "ate" a disgusting meal with the PILs there, much nicer to go into Kenny's pub get a steak and a drink, or else there is a nice Chinese on the left in the Main St in Lahinch.
I think it is a rite of passage to go to that Chinese tho - as all other places will seem like The Ivy in comparison!

dustythedolphin Tue 22-Dec-09 10:06:56

lol yes that's a good way of looking at it - anything else tastes great in comparison!

dustythedolphin Sat 26-Dec-09 18:49:52

bump

dustythedolphin Sat 26-Dec-09 18:55:34

Did a last minute trip to Argos (sale) and Primark (warm and v cheap clothes) panic trip today. Social engagements have wound down now and we just have 5 days mega packing ahead of us <wipes brow>

One more question (for today anyway) - what is the best car rescue service in Ireland? Had a look at AA but seems tres expensive, are there others anyone would recommend? Thanks

FiandB Thu 03-Feb-11 20:45:37

Hi everyone, I know this is an old thread but couldn't find any more relevant ones so hopefully some of you are still out there? I'm really new to Mumsnet but had a question I thought this might be a good place to ask...

My dh's job is moving to Dublin in the summer and we'll be moving over for a few years with 2 kids- currently 22months and 3months- and I'll be a full time Mum.

Where would be the best area to live in/near Dublin? We live in a small village near London at the moment and would like something fairly similar with good activities and lifestyle for the little ones. Any ideas welcome

Nassau Thu 17-Feb-11 16:11:33

Hi FiandB. Get thee to Magicmum.com and join. It's an Irish parenting site (a good few of the Irish ladies on here are also on Magicmum.com). You'll get more answers there.

It all depends on what you want in the area you want to live in. I live about 12miles from Dublin, which I like a lot as it's where I grew up, but other people would think it's a right dive. smile

bagelmonkey Fri 27-May-11 09:20:23

Hi FiandB
I'm new to mumsnet and moving to Ireland in the summer for husband's job too!
We have an almost 4 month old and we'll be moving to Dublin.
Have you found somewhere to live? I can share the advice we've had from friends if it's still relevant to you.
smile

FiandB Tue 07-Jun-11 20:11:27

Hi bagelmonkey

Our move has been put off til the end of august so we're watching the property websites but haven't actually chosen anywhere yet.

Because of where my husband's work is we're looking at north Dublin and focussing on Malahide and Howth. We're going over to have a look around this week (and also look at some nurseries) but any advice would be really helpful.

How's your move going? What area did you choose?

smile

bagelmonkey Sun 03-Jul-11 06:09:06

FiandB
We're moving to Sandyford.
Most of our location advice from friends was for south/south west for DH's commute to work, so not really where you're looking. We used daft.ie to find somewhere.
Moving over the next couple of weeks. I haven't seen the place we'll be living yet (left it all up to DH!). So fingers crossed. wink

sobloodystupid Sun 03-Jul-11 22:37:24

Hope you settle in and enjoy life over here! Welcome in advance...

Sligomum Sun 20-Nov-11 21:19:11

Hi, i'm new here, only found out about mumsnet since getting the book from the library, and thought i'd give it a go... Really,glad there's an Irish thread, I live in Ballymote , Sligo. Moved here 3 years ago from London and have 3 Dc, 18, 16 and 12. Anyone out there near me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now