Local Talk

Aircraft noise in SW London

(24 Posts)
figcake Thu 03-Mar-11 10:14:35

Hi
We live in NW London atm but are hoping to move to Richmond/Surrey/other SW London soon. I was just wondering which parts are not under the Heathrow flight path. In particular we were wondering whether Teddington was affected as I read something about it being under an alternative flight path to the main one?

vbus Thu 03-Mar-11 13:19:14

Hi

I used to live in Twickenham and initially found it hard to get used to the plane noise, but of course you soon stop noticing it so much. I now live in Teddington and the plane noise is considerably less. About 1wk a mth it's quite noisy as I think they rotate the flight path. Overall it is much quieter though.

Thornham Thu 03-Mar-11 13:23:42

They do rotate the flight path and it's different in different bits of Teddington. I live near the station and there are perhaps 3/4 planes a day that make noise you'd notice - one that seems particularly loud about 10pm at night, but it may also be that they seem louder when there's less background noise. We certainly don't have half as much noise as Isleworth does, or even up near Hampton common.

amidaiwish Thu 03-Mar-11 13:26:45

Teddington/Strawberry Hill isn't too bad
Hampton/Hampton Hill can be quite noisy
Kew/Richmond worse still
hth

it's a great place to live.

figcake Thu 03-Mar-11 14:36:07

Well, I remember visiting Barnes once and I was wine within a couple of hours - is Teddington around the same level? How could I find out which parts of Teddington are badly affected?

Initially, I was considering Surbiton/Kingston but I feel that they possibly lack the sparkle of Teddington though I am guessing are well loff the flight path?

amidaiwish Fri 04-Mar-11 10:28:32

Barnes/Kew is way noisier than Teddington.

Surbiton has a great train link to London (Teddington is a slow train) if that matters to you.

figcake Fri 04-Mar-11 17:36:49

I don't need to travel into London regularly atm - It could matter when my DCs are older and I want to resume my old career. Other than the train speeds, is Teddington generally the more exciting of the two? I am trying to avoid the typical suburban 1930s semis-dominated places - I don't think I could bear it. Teddington appealed because there is so much Victorian housing stock. However, I am puzzled by the fact that the 4-700k houses are much of a muchness really and you only seem to get something obviously better once you are into seven figures. Are some parts considered more desirable than others?

amidaiwish Fri 04-Mar-11 17:44:30

Teddington is a really nice place to live.
re areas, up by the river is the nicest part (Broom Road and roads off it) but you probably need 7 figures for a family house. Anywhere around the old high street/station is also v nice.

cheaper towards Fulwell/Hampton Hill, still nice though, lots of victorian cottages in the £500k price bracket but a bit of a trek to Teddington station.

Strawberry Hill (towards Twickenham) is also great and a better trainline than Teddington (crosses 2 lines, Twickenham and Teddington lines though the trains unhelpfully arrive about the same time it does mean there are more per hour)

i would choose Teddington over Surbiton. is schooling a consideration? Teddington has some very good primaries (Collis, St Mary & St Peters) but the catchments are tight so be aware of that.

figcake Fri 04-Mar-11 20:49:18

Thanks so much. Schooling is important though I would be after places for non-reception age children so hopefully less of a problem. Is there an issue with flooding near the river - I seem to remember reading about a recent court-case?

figcake Fri 04-Mar-11 20:52:03

I had considered S Hill in the past but I was under the impression that the aircraft noise is particularly bad going towards Twickenham? My DH has a problem with it even though I could live with it personally if everything else was right

amidaiwish Sat 05-Mar-11 10:56:29

i have lived in s hill for 7 years, right by the river, never had any flooding issue. a few years back after heavy rain the road flooded once (just the road and pavement, houses weren't at risk) but this was due to drainage, not from the river, and has been resolved by thames water afaik.

i don't notice aircraft noise here, sometimes on a sunny sunday in the garden it is noticeable but it isn't that loud imo. maybe i am used to it, i can't see how it is worse here than in teddington. I used to live in hampton where it was much louder and i really notice it in places like Kew.

figcake Sat 05-Mar-11 16:35:03

Thanks amid- all very helpful. My Ds would be entering yr1 (prob yr2) by the time we made it - when does the pressure on school places start to ease around there - is it in yr3?

KatieMiddleton Sat 05-Mar-11 16:41:08

Get a house with double/secondary glazing and you won't notice it. I live in Richmond. It's a great place to live as is Kew. Would not like to live in Teddington because it's a bit quieter and as PP said is less good for train speeds. But that's just me

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 05-Mar-11 16:46:05

Teddington only gets plane noise when they take off into the East. Usually they take off into the West and you don't hear a thing.

figcake Sat 05-Mar-11 21:04:39

Katie - I don't think I could afford Richmond - I am assuming that Teddington is cheaper per se and has many smaller victorian houses than where you live (though I could be wrong)? I do not drive (nor do I intend to) so I do worry whether I am going to miss having the underground on my doorstep.

How far is the nearest underground station to Teddington? Is it well served in terms of buses? My lack of driving ability has pretty much ruled out deepest Surrey.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 05-Mar-11 21:07:18

Nearest tube to Teddington is either at Richmond or is at Wimbledon.

figcake Sat 05-Mar-11 21:07:23

That is another reason why I am particularly looking for some P&Q away from the aeroplanes - I could not live in the countryside proper so I am expecting Teddington to serve as a good alternative. If I were a driver, I could see myself in Petersham perhaps

Hardandsleazy Sat 05-Mar-11 21:08:57

Agree with amidal and fig cake - teddington not too bad. Nearest tube Richmond and it's a couple of stops (15 mins) on train or 25 mins on bus. There is direct rail link to Waterloo - not driving not a major issue ( hate driving myself and not a. Issue).

vbus Sun 06-Mar-11 19:23:29

Figcake - schools pressure may ease around age of 7yr as some kids then go off to prep school but you'd have to check with individual schools.

Flooding not much of an issue in Teddington as river flow is controlled at the Lock. We are right by the river and insurance co's were not overly concerned.

Double galzing does block out some noise but in Summer you're likely to have your windows open anyway

There is a shortage of decent family homes in Teddington, the good ones get snapped up immediately and prices are still high. You'll have to act fast if you see something you like.

I think it's pretty well connected as Hardandsleazy said. I often walk into Kingston or into Teddington high st or to Bushy park.

Good luck!

BayJay Sat 30-Apr-11 17:29:49

All Richmond Borough parents need to be aware that the council is looking to make some significant changes to Secondary Schools over the coming years, which could impact existing schools, so check out the thread: "New Secondaries for Richmond Borough" and join the debate. The council will hopefully listen to parents' views, but we can only engage in the process if we know what's going on.

glikeria Fri 25-Nov-11 19:49:07

all very useful is wimbledon - under a flightpath noise too? would be grateful if anyone could tell me and which parts?

pixfix Thu 20-Sep-12 08:08:10

hello, I am thinking of buying a ground floor flat on the twickenham road, kind of near grove gardens. Is flooding really not an issue, it's so close to the river. can anyone who knows the area well comment? much appreciated

pixfix Thu 20-Sep-12 08:13:59

to add to my previous message:
can anyone give any more comments on flooding in teddington? especially around twickenham road near grove gardens? any personal experiences? Teddington and flooding do seem to go together often, it's so close to the river.

Gigondas Thu 20-Sep-12 08:18:03

Won't it be in details of house? I am not sure if flooding is an issue if not in immediate range (100m or so) of river but am not that close .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now